Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help please with installation of ADSL Nation Faceplate

This is a discussion on Help please with installation of ADSL Nation Faceplate within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When I took off my origonal faceplate I had the following wires inserted as follows into each terminal. 1 - ...

hellfire18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GARFORTH
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help please with installation of ADSL Nation Faceplate

When I took off my origonal faceplate I had the following wires inserted as follows into each terminal.

1 - Orange
      2 - Blue
      3 - Green
      4 - White
      5 - White
      6 - White

I have fitted the ADSL Nation faceplate and it has the following:

2 - Blue
      3 - Green
      5 - White

This works fine for voice only i.e my phone but it will not allow my Broadband to work.

So I follow the instruction guide and it tells me that if you want to run extensions using ADSL do the following:

3 - Green
      A - White
      B - Blue

What do I do with all the other wires, I am aware it says wire 4 is now redundant, but what about the orange wire and why when I connect it like this am I only getting a downstream of 1000 kbps as opposed to my previous 2500 kbps, I am running my router of an extension upstairs if that helps.

Thanks, Chris.

2. Advertisement
      nobby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Batley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help please with installation of ADSL Nation Faceplate

is it the xte version? ive been fitting mine today. ADSL extensions go to A+B you can use secondary plate to plug your router straight in on these terminals or use a seperate filter to connect a phone & router. then use 2+3+5 for filtered voice, remember any extentions fron 2+3+5 are filtered so ADSL wont work on them, all other connections are redundant. You need a decent punch down tool for the IDC terminals. I found with only 2+5 connected extension phones wont ring so you need 3 as well....hope that helps

edit: i used the BT cable CW1308 and the antenuation was higher, so im back with my original cable all seems fine
      Last edited by nobby; 06-01-07 at 05:01 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK it works but confirmed it's absolutely no quicker than before, meaning the issue was never with my original Faceplate in the first place, perhaps the issue is somewhere else inside my house although for the life of me I cannot think what. Having tested plugging the router directly into the new ADSL Nation faceplate my stats went up by 100kb, as soon as I ran my router off an extension with a microfilter for phone/adsl it goes down to 100kbps a sec, then when I remove the microfilter back up to 2400kbps??

Im sure something is wrong.

I haven't connected up the orange wire or wire number 4 as suggested (white), but the rest are connected.

Thanks, Chris.

dgilbert2 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Sky TV: Non now
      Thanks

Try disconnecting the wire on pin3. This is not required on modern systems. This is known to increase speed for some installations.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

cant say mines any better either, pin 3 disconnected meant my phones wont ring, i did wonder if i had a faulty xte2005 any one confirm?...try plugging straight in to the nte5 without the face plate

dgilbert2 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Sky TV: Non now
      Thanks

Have you got filters plugged into all phone sockets? (They create the signal needed on pin3)

Otherwise its worth checking the phone wiring again.

This may link help;

Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring

BTW, does the speed increase when modem connected to master socket with all other phones/wiring disconnected?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

when it's connected to the test socket it, it runs at 5000kpbs, when it's connected to the master socket or any one of the extensions it fluctuates depending upon configuration between 700-2400kbps

Sky TV:
      Thanks

hellfire.....sounds like a extension problem

i found with 2+5 only connected the phones wont ring, with a filter in they will, this is on the filtered output of the xte, i would have thought the filtered xte output would function as a bog standard filter ie allow phone to ring with 2+5 only. the phones worked with 2+5 (only) prior to the xte being fitted

edit: just tried removing the ring wire again, my 2 dect phones work ok and 2 ordinary phones dont ring which did with standard filters and no ring wire, is there an internal reason with the xte for this?
      Last edited by nobby; 06-01-07 at 09:11 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok i've obviously set it up like a numpty, to begin with I had Orange, Green, Blue wires in 1,2,3 on the standard Faceplate and 3 different white inputs into 4,5,6.

As the XTE only has 2,3,5 inputs I matched the wires with each one i.e. 2 on the old Faceplate would be 2 on the XTE (think that was Blue off the top of my head).

After connecting up 2,3 and 5 (orange was 1 so this was missed out) I could get perfect voice in the house, both phones worked, but the Router would not connect to the Internet whatsoever (it is running off an extension in the lobby that has a 20m lead going to the router on my landing - I'll point out now I have a Microfilter supplying my Router and Phone from this extension), it didn't even flash orange to show it was negotiating/connecting.

I read the instruction manual of the XTE more and understood that I needed to connect 2 to B and 5 to A (blue and white for reference), I also had to remove Green from Input 3 as it wouldn't work. As soon as I did this bingo! Internet connects, but now my phone running on the same extension off the Microfilter doesn't? To further complicate matters, this appears to be the only way which the XTE will function. If I change anything it goes scewiff.

Also, annoyingly I tried removing the Microfilter from my phone in the kitchen, when I do this my Internet doesn't connect? It must be in a loop of some sort.

And to top things off, I have spent several hours hitting my head against a wall trying to make it go faster than the origonal Faceplate did but it simply will not. Some may remember I managed to get 5000kbps downstream when connected to the test socket, and 2500kbps when not (hence the reason I wanted to upgrade in the first instance).

Here are my stats now for you to compare, i'm running the XTE now.

Connection Speed 2144 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 db 25.0 db
      Noise Margin 15.8 db 21.0 db

Appauling is all I can say, worse still my old Faceplate was cracked by me sitting on it by accident so I can't even replace it!

Please, someone help me. I'm going crazy here and in need of professional assistance.

Chris.

P.S. If anyone lives around Leeds and wants to help a man and his wife with their Internet issues feel free to drop me a PM and i'll happily reward them for their efforts

myerss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Werrington
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have an ADSL Nation face plate without extensions and only had to swap old for new. No rewiring at all . Hope below helps:

First look at this DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

If you get no joy, I would suggest that you do a diagram of your set up i.e. wires/terminals from outside cable to master socket wall plate. Wires/terminals on your extensions then send this to ADSL Nation and ask them what you are doing wrong.

Can't think of any other course of action.

GOOD LUCK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast