Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question

This is a discussion on Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; At present my master socket is in my living room, in an awkward position. A couple years ago I had ...

bathingape is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question

At present my master socket is in my living room, in an awkward position. A couple years ago I had my house cabled with Cat6 with the termination point being the garage where the patch panel and switch. Whilst doing this, the installer ran what looks like Cat5 or Cat6 from my master socket into the garage too.

I now wish to take advantage of this and move my BT Openreach modem and Asus router into the garage. My knowledge of BT faceplates and sockets isn't great. I've unscrewed the master socket and from the top of my head, terminals 2 and 5 have been punched in and are going into the garage. In the garage, the other end of the cable is waiting to be wired into a socket.

Is it just a case of wiring in a new socket/faceplate? If so, which one do I need?

At present I have this in my living room. I use a microfilter with this into which my modem goes.

Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question-openreachmaster.jpg

2. Advertisement
      seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question

Do you have separate wireless access points? If not is moving your router to the garage really a good idea? I'm assuming that there is a masonry wall between the garage and the rest of the house to provide fire protection. This will attenuate the Wi-Fi signal, especially if using 5Ghz, which will reduce connection speed and adversely effect coverage.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Do you have separate wireless access points? If not is moving your router to the garage really a good idea? I'm assuming that there is a masonry wall between the garage and the rest of the house to provide fire protection. This will attenuate the Wi-Fi signal, especially if using 5Ghz, which will reduce connection speed and adversely effect coverage.
      Coverage won't be an issue. Most of my devices are wired. Plus the thermolite blocks between the garage and rest of the house are rubbish. The ceiling is just drywall so that's fine. If it becomes an issue then I'll get extenders or AP's however my SmartThings and Hue hub currently reside in the garage with no issues.

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You are not allowed to relocate the master socket (not officially anyway) as the cabling between the master socket and the distribution point is Openreach's property. Openreach would charge to relocate it.

As you have got a Cat5 or Cat6 cable between the master socket and the garage wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to leave the modem where it is and relocate your router to the garage using this cable to connect the two together? Alternatively you could fit a filtered faceplate and use the network cable as a data extension.

Should you insist on moving the master socket yourself check if there are any junction boxes (JBs) prior to the master socket and if so run good quality internal telephone cable from the JB to the master socket relocated in the garage. If not and the external wiring feeds directly to the master socket use a BT 80A JB to connect the internal and external wiring when you remove the master socket.

You could also fit a filtered faceplate and dispense with the microfilter.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You could connect one of the pairs of the Cat cable to the AB terminals of the existing master socket and connect a new master socket in the garage. If you can get hold of a blanking faceplate to fit to the old master socket, this would prevent anyone using it and causibg interference, You should fit a VDSL filtered faceplate to the new master socket. These are much more dependable than the plug in type.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

As your patch panel is in the garage it does make sense to have your modem/router and phone line there. However, rather than move the master socket you could use our patch kits to patch the phone line to the panel. Is the cable that runs from the master socket location to the patch panel terminated or is it just a loose cable?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      As your patch panel is in the garage it does make sense to have your modem/router and phone line there. However, rather than move the master socket you could use our patch kits to patch the phone line to the panel. Is the cable that runs from the master socket location to the patch panel terminated or is it just a loose cable?
      I've now terminated it into an extension socket and my fibre seems fine and stable. What does your suggestion consist of?