Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

FTTP - explanations & extensions

This is a discussion on FTTP - explanations & extensions within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Here is a ink to another Openreach document that you may find interesting: https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co....nal_Wiring.pdf I hope that the electrician visiting ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: FTTP - explanations & extensions

Here is a ink to another Openreach document that you may find interesting:
      https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co....nal_Wiring.pdf

I hope that the electrician visiting you on Monday will already have seen this though I can understand why he was insistent that a BT master socket would have been fitted as it still appears in this document.

2. Advertisement
      Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

He's been this morning. Twice

We've got it working and he stated what I think we'd already established, that we needed some sort of patch cable from the ONT Tel1 socket into the actual house telephone extensions.

We did have some problems in that (a) the telephone socket on the media socket (ie, the one with the phone and network cable sockets in) was broken so he had to replace it, and (b) BT had not provided a patch cable and nor had the builders .. BT during installation claimed that anything after the ONT was down to us/the builders (as basically the ONT is the equivelant of the master socket), when BT provided the hub for internet access there was no additional "patch cable" (because why would there be?) and the electrician/builders stated BTO should have provided it as "we were following their instructions to put these sockets here like this in the first place" *rolls eyeballs*.

He therefore had to go out and get a cable - he stood there and said "shall I go and buy one for you" .. as if it's something that they shouldn't really be doing (although after our conversations on here, I had quickly checked on Amazon and at the time couldn't find that type of cable .. but perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place). Anyway .. I asked him to do so, so reluctantly he did.

Took him over two hours and he came back looking as miserable as sin .. when I asked what was wrong he said they couldn't find one and had had to actually make one.

He also said that we should have not one, but two telephone extension points in the house. After hunting around for a while, it turned out the second one (he said) was also in the living room, next to the TV point. We have a similar socket there as in the study, however, that one has what looks like two network points plus the two blanking plates. We use one of the network points to connect the TV, etc, up, but never really thought much about the second. The electrician stated that should be another telephone point, but they'd put the wrong end on it.

I did query why they'd put two telephone extension in one room, and he said it was something to do with connecting Sky boxes to the telephone line. Which I can kinda understand .. only I've not had a Sky box for years that required a telephone line. Think I've had two or three different Sky boxes since that was a requirement.

Anyway, I didn't pursue the fact that that particular extension socket wasn't useable - partially because I didn't see the need for it, and partially because he looked so annoyed already, I didn't want to push it any further.

Thanks

I'm not impressed with standard of work carried out by the builders, what with damaged network cable, damaged telephone socket, wrong insert fitted and failure to connect the internal wiring to the ONT. From your description there also appears to be a reluctance to accept responsibility.

Whilst I agree that it is not the communication provider's responsibility to supply a cable to connect the ONT to an extension socket they should ensure that these leads are readily available. I wonder whether RUNITDIRECT (another contributor to this forum) would care to comment on this point.

Did you have to use a double telephone adaptor to keep your telephone by the ONT or did the electrician sort this out for you?

I'm glad that you have finally managed to get the domestic telephone and broadband distribution sorted out. I just hope that you don't have to jump through as many hoops to get the business line working.
      Stumpy likes this.

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Did you have to use a double telephone adaptor to keep your telephone by the ONT or did the electrician sort this out for you?

I'm glad that you have finally managed to get the domestic telephone and broadband distribution sorted out. I just hope that you don't have to jump through as many hoops to get the business line working.
      I already had a double adapter as I have both the main telephone and a scanning device (I'm part of a group where we scan what groceries we buy using a barcode scanner, which uploads the results to a central hub) - basically they've provided the patch cable which works (we've tested) but until we get the furniture in place in order to physically move the phone to the secondary location, it's going to stay where it is. Once it does move, yes the double adapter I already had will assist in that, but it also means that, unless I can find some weird triple adapter, or some weird throughput cable at the other end of that cable, we won't be able to plug a phone in near the ONT .. basically it seems that its an "either/or" situation .. we either have a useable phone connection in the room with the ONT, OR in the lounge via the extension. All very odd Some of the cabling links provided earlier seemed to suggest it was possible to run the cable from the ONT through to the back of the extension socket/media socket near the ONT . the diagrammes looked like that would then leave that socket available to be used, but that hasn't happened in this case.

I've virtually given up on the business line thing .. my husband has basically been told to "suck it up" by his company - he has to rely on his mobile phone for business calls, the signal for which can be a bit patchy sometimes, and they've sent us some homeplugs to try and improve his computer internet connection using our residential broadband. They didn't .. insofar as his computer still kept dropping connection. However, his IT department seem to think (and I agree with them) that that is more down to the wifi abilities of his computer (which is some stupid "toughbook" thing that is just one step up from useless even when it's working at 100%). So they've switch the wifi ability off on it, and it's now connected to our broadband using the homeplug network cable (the homeplugs we have are wifi extenders/cloners too). Time will tell if that makes a difference.

Hubby isn't particularly IT aware .. so his work computer losing connection is a problem we all have to deal with via high decibel communication (he shouts, loudly!) - each time I've pointed out to him that if everyone else is still on the internet, including himself on his ipad in the same room as his computer ... it's not the fault of our internet. I think he still enjoys having a lung workout though ...

This is one of the reasons I'd have liked to have a completely seperate ONT for his business stuff .. instead of him complaining and trying to get a "fix" for "the broadband" and it being our problem, it would just become his/the companies problem. Their company have apparently spent a fortune extending the contract on these toughbooks, so they're *obviously* not going to be the problem ... *rolls eyeballs*
      seawright likes this.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Only skeeted through this but will read again tomorrow. Off the top of my head OR had new NTE's made for this which had a switch that could disable the external copper coming in leaving a loop cable to go between the ONT and the NTE, effectively back feeding the signal into the old NTE so extensions work, nothing special, a BT male to male jumper cable. Will reply tomorrow when I have time to read through all of this & check a few things.....
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If this is what you have :-

FTTP - explanations & extensions-39519ic26344614a37447a.jpg

Can you plug a telephone directly into the tel 1 & tel 2 ports & it works? This is the socket I was referring to :-

FTTP - explanations & extensions-2017-11-22_16-17-01.jpg

A picture of your setup would be good but I really can't see the problem here! (I'm doing 10 things at once) but in my mind all you need is to disconnect any wiring that is going to the A & B connections from the OUTSIDE world (assuming you currently do NOT plug a phone into the old master socket?) then jumper across from tel 1 or tel 2 to the NTE. If you want to plug a phone in at the NTE (ONT) too then that is easy too....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Only skeeted through this but will read again tomorrow. Off the top of my head OR had new NTE's made for this which had a switch that could disable the external copper coming in leaving a loop cable to go between the ONT and the NTE, effectively back feeding the signal into the old NTE so extensions work, nothing special, a BT male to male jumper cable. Will reply tomorrow when I have time to read through all of this & check a few things.....
      I couldn't find a BT male to male jumper cable on your website and as the installer had to have one specially made I assumed that these were none standard. The NTE5 socket shewn in the OPs original posting was supplied by Virgin Media. I don't know whether it is connected to the internal extension wiring but I doubt that it would incorporate a change over switch.

Exchange:
      Thanks

You won't find it as currently we do not sell it We can easily make them though What we need to know from the OP is what extensions they want to use & where are they currently terminated? (the module that is hanging out that looks broken or the old Virgin media socket?).

Thanks

The hanging out module was broken but has now been replaced and connected to the ONT by a fly-lead that the installer had to have specially made.

Hopefully the OPs problems have been sorted out but with the increasing penetration of FTTP I would envisage that these (or similar) problems will become more widespread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12