Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need extension cable from Master Socket to Sky Q Hub

This is a discussion on Need extension cable from Master Socket to Sky Q Hub within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have Sky Fibre Max to be starting on the 14th this month. Our Master Socket is in a ...

FredW77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Need extension cable from Master Socket to Sky Q Hub

Hi, I have Sky Fibre Max to be starting on the 14th this month. Our Master Socket is in a place where there is no power socket near. right now we have our hub in the other extension socket in a different room. If for some reason the Sky Q Hub however doesn't get enough speed in that socket I will have to use an extension cable from the Master Socket to the hub. It's probably enough to get a 3-5m cable. Question is, what cable would I need to get to go from the master to the hub, as the grey cable Sky provided with the hub wont be long enough. I have to say upfront I am not very savvy when it comes to these things, so I am not really good at knowing what to do. therefore the simpler the better, so I don't get things wrong.
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: Need extension cable from Master Socket to Sky Q Hub

If I am reading your OP correctly then I would think one of these will do what you want. These are also available from various hardware stores such as Homebase. 5m BT FULLY WIRED 6 Core Telephone Extension Cable - Extend lead from UK phone | eBay Be aware that extension cables can drop your internet speeds, significantly in some cases. A better solution, perhaps, would be for BT to install an extension socket near to your router. An even better solution would be to get an electrician to install a mains socket nearer to your BT master socket. Both of the latter options, I will admit, will incure significant costs.

FredW77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Thanks for that. looking at them, I realised I didn't mean extension cable, but longer cable. I basically am looking for the same kind of cable that we got with the hub, just longer if such thing exists. We have a second socket in the room next to the Master Socket, which was installed by BT before we moved in. It gives a strong output, or at least did last year when it was last tested. We are still with TalkTalk Fibre until next week, and they told us we can get up to 38Mb, and I just tested it on my PC right now and I am getting 37.50Mbps, so it seems to give what it should. Hopefully the Sky Fibre Max will be stronger still.
      But I still would like to get a longer cable to potentially use the Master Socket if for any reason sky wants us to use that etc

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think what you want is a longer DSL cable. This is better than using a telephone extension. For Fibre you need a ultra high speed twisted pair cable, something like this - Ultra High Speed ADSL Cable 10m | Maplin Don't go much longer than 15 metres and keep it as near the actual length you need as possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Phew thats a bit expensive. I think I would try a cheap telephone extension first. They don't always affect the speed and they are significantly cheaper than that ADSL extended cable.

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

We fitted a telephone extension cable sourced via either ebay or amazon to move talk talk router nearer to TV to allow wired connection for gaming for daughters flat no drop on speed noticeable the other option is to use an extension power cable to plug router in near the open reach master socket
      Last edited by nodrog; 12-12-16 at 06:18 PM.

AvoriazSkier is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity II
      Router: BT HH6
      Sky TV: Three HD+ boxes
      Thanks

You can get an extension kit with the necessary insertion tool to run CAT6 ( or any good quality twisted pair ) cable from the back of your BT socket to any location you like. By just using terminals 2 and 5 you are in effect moving your master socket.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
      Phew thats a bit expensive. I think I would try a cheap telephone extension first. They don't always affect the speed and they are significantly cheaper than that ADSL extended cable.
      A cheap telephone extension will loose you speed, that is a certainty. If you are going to use a telephone extension, make sure it it made up of twisted pair cable. The standard flat cable attracts masses of interference.

Maplins is not the cheapest place to buy cables, you can probably get them much cheaper elsewhere, just make sure it is twisted pair. Google for 'ultra high speed modem cable'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Amazon looks good for them, a 10 metre and a 15metre around a fiver with free delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bandridge-H...1469312&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bandridge-H.../dp/B007F909DC

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

A screened cable without correct grounding is pretty pointless. We have cables for this purpose manufactured from BT CW1724 cable (made by BT cables Ltd) which is the exact cable BT Openreach engineer use when installing VDSL/ADSL extensions. https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl...t5patchlead3m/. These are designed to work with a filtered faceplate and feature an RJ45 plug at one end for this reason (https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/)
      Last edited by RUNITDIRECT; 13-04-17 at 12:06 PM.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.