Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving the BT Master Socket?

This is a discussion on Moving the BT Master Socket? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I'd like to move our BT Master socket but don't have the money to pay BT to do it ...

Steph2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Moving the BT Master Socket?

Hello, I'd like to move our BT Master socket but don't have the money to pay BT to do it & was just wondering if its even possible to do it yourself? I know your not supposed to but I'm willing to take any risks involved if its possible.

At present its located in a really awkward place half way up the wooden wall covering the cupboard under our stairs & its not going to be used for anything once I wire up a new extension for the broadband so i'd rather have it the other side of the cupboard out of the way where it doesn't look the mess it does in its current location.

I need to get this new adsl extension wired up because the cable were using currently is picking up a lot of noise due to damage (Suffering a lot of disconnects) & I don't want to wire this new extension up & then have to do it again later on when we can afford to pay BT to move the master for us, Especially since i've paid for some good quality twisted pair cable (Existing damaged old cable going to upstairs extension is straight & not twisted) to stand the best chance of good, reliable speeds.

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Moving the BT Master Socket?

It's easy enough to do, just make sure you make a note of the connections as they exist before removing it and refitting it on the other side of the wall. I've moved mine a couple of times over the years, never had any problems. If it's a screw type connection for the wires it's easy otherwise if it's IDC you should really use a Krone tool.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

AvoriazSkier is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity II
      Router: BT HH6
      Sky TV: Three HD+ boxes
      Thanks

If you just connect the two wires coming in to the socket to your new socket you will, in effect, get a "new" master socket.

LeeH1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Barrow Upon Humber
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

You shouldn't but it's easy, just take a photo.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steph2010 View Post
      Hello, I'd like to move our BT Master socket but don't have the money to pay BT to do it & was just wondering if its even possible to do it yourself? I know your not supposed to but I'm willing to take any risks involved if its possible.

At present its located in a really awkward place half way up the wooden wall covering the cupboard under our stairs & its not going to be used for anything once I wire up a new extension for the broadband so i'd rather have it the other side of the cupboard out of the way where it doesn't look the mess it does in its current location.

I need to get this new adsl extension wired up because the cable were using currently is picking up a lot of noise due to damage (Suffering a lot of disconnects) & I don't want to wire this new extension up & then have to do it again later on when we can afford to pay BT to move the master for us, Especially since i've paid for some good quality twisted pair cable (Existing damaged old cable going to upstairs extension is straight & not twisted) to stand the best chance of good, reliable speeds.
      Technically this is "illegal" since no-one else has said it.
      You could just leave the wiring intact but reposition its' end point which should be fine. I suppose you could alter the wiring and even the socket itself but then if you got a fault where Openreach came out they might complain about changes and you could get a big charge or in extreme cases a court case.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky