Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sat 1 & 2 and drilling holes in new houses

This is a discussion on Sat 1 & 2 and drilling holes in new houses within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The engineer came to install For a house move for my mums new place yesterday. This is a new build ...

richiejazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Sat 1 & 2 and drilling holes in new houses

The engineer came to install For a house move for my mums new place yesterday. This is a new build house with standard connection faceplates with sat 1/2 etc and I am pretty disgusted to learn that this engineer came and subsequently drilled holes through the lounge wall and trailed wires through the room instead of wiring up the sat connectors through the loft to the distribution box.
      Can anyone tell me why they have done this? Laziness or incompetence Id like to know why they decided to do this seemingly completely unnecessarily and what I can now do about it.
      im also worried now what they will decide to do when the phone line and broadband are installed in 2 weeks time!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sat 1 & 2 and drilling holes in new houses

Quote Originally Posted by richiejazz View Post
      Can anyone tell me why they have done this? Laziness or incompetence Id like to know why they decided to do this seemingly completely unnecessarily and what I can now do about it.
      im also worried now what they will decide to do when the phone line and broadband are installed in 2 weeks time!
      Most likely a Health and Safety issue. Sky installers will not go into a loft to install the cabling. In my case I wanted the cables run through the loft and they refused point blank, even with a properly installed access ladder to the loft. In the end they comprimised by leaving me a length of cable to run through the loft myself, leaving both ends accessible.

With regards the phone, it will depend on what is available. If the contractors fitted a master socket they will normally wire to that. If no phone circuit is installed the engineer will usually install the master socket where you wish, within reason.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The contractors I believe have installed BT sockets with a master in the hallway - so I'm guessing then that won't be a problem and the broadband router can go next to the phone in the hall.

As for the tv - Sky installers won't go into the loft because of health and safety? What a complete joke! All that needed doing was running cable a short distance from the dish and through into the loft to the distributer. If I had known that's what sky would do I would have done it myself. How can sky not say a word and then justify "fitting" these things and completely ignoring the technology that is present in the house as standard to avoid these very occurrences?!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sky installers won't go into the loft because of health and safety? What a complete joke!
      You said it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

From the point of view of H&S I need a dust mask when entering my loft due to the fibres from the mineral wool insulation.
      I believe there is also an exclusion clause in the installers insurance that removes cover in lofts and void spaces.

If your mum is not happy with the install she should contact the installer directly or you could call as her representative. He should have left her a card with his telephone number to facilitate this.

Ridcully is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      even with a properly installed access ladder to the loft.
      Was talking to BT when they fitted a 2nd line. They have three requirements for a loft.

Ladder
      Installed lighting
      Floored ie they don't have to only tread on the beams

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

I doubt it is to do with H&S, more insurers liability. I used to work for Sky, if I went in your loft, slipped & stuck my foot through your ceiling it would be ME paying the bill (& probably losing my job too for breaking the rules!). The installer should have gone through the cable routes etc with the EU before commencing the work.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Dealing with lofts is part of the job - it's totally pathetic that any rules like that are entertained. Thats like a tree surgeon saying 'I can't do that one cause it involves climbing!'

Anyway I've got sky to do a "de-install" and repair the mess they caused. Leave the dish and either do it properly (if the new engineer can be bothered this time) or else run a cable through to the loft space and i'll have to wire it up myself at some point.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richiejazz View Post
      Dealing with lofts is part of the job - it's totally pathetic that any rules like that are entertained. Thats like a tree surgeon saying 'I can't do that one cause it involves climbing!'
      Dealing with lofts is not part of the job at all, I installed hundreds of systems & never had to go into a loft space to do it. If your builder has gone to the trouble to put a distribution system in an area like the loft (! Why? An under stairs cupboard would have been a better choice!) then they could have easily have run the cable to a satellite dish. Seems strange for them to put it up there and they are leaving themselves open to all kinds of liability by doing so!

Either way your venting your anger at the wrong person, the installer can only install as per company policy, as already mentioned they should have discussed this with the EU before installing. I'm surprised they have agreed to replace drilled brick work, they normally couldn't care less.

I believe BT have the same policy these days too. That's the modern world I'm afraid and gladly one we don't have to adhere to!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.