Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cabliling help

This is a discussion on Cabliling help within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. Sorry if this was asked before. My master sockets is in my hallway but my sky hub needs to ...

4D1L is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mile End
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Cabliling help

Hi.

Sorry if this was asked before. My master sockets is in my hallway but my sky hub needs to be in my living room as i use it there the most. The adsl cable that comes with the hub is too short. I measured that i need a cable 25m long. Can i just use a phone line extension and then put a microfilter at the front of the cable and the back of the cable or do i just have to buy a 25m adsl cable?

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Cabliling help

Quote Originally Posted by 4D1L View Post
      Hi.Sorry if this was asked before. My master sockets is in my hallway but my sky hub needs to be in my living room as i use it there the most. The adsl cable that comes with the hub is too short. I measured that i need a cable 25m long. Can i just use a phone line extension and then put a microfilter at the front of the cable and the back of the cable or do i just have to buy a 25m adsl cable?
      You could use a 25Mtr telephone extension cable but it is likely to have an adverse effect on broadband performance. With the router in the hallway do you get adequate wi-fi coverage? If so how many devices do you have in the living room that need to connect to the router that are not wi-fi enabled? If only one then a 25Mtr cat 5e network cable would be a better alternative.

4D1L is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mile End
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      You could use a 25Mtr telephone extension cable but it is likely to have an adverse effect on broadband performance. With the router in the hallway do you get adequate wi-fi coverage? If so how many devices do you have in the living room that need to connect to the router that are not wi-fi enabled? If only one then a 25Mtr cat 5e network cable would be a better alternative.
      I havent set up my router as activation dates is on 21st january. But with my current router i get 3 bars on my laptop. In the living room i will have 5 devices connected through wifi. I will also connect my sky+HD box and my tv through ethernet.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4D1L View Post
      I havent set up my router as activation dates is on 21st january. But with my current router i get 3 bars on my laptop. In the living room i will have 5 devices connected through wifi. I will also connect my sky+HD box and my tv through ethernet._________________________________________ ____My name is 4D1L but you can call me 4D1L because that is my internet name.
      In that case my suggestion as above but with a network switch (approx 10) feeding the TV and Sky+ HD box.