Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

ADSL Nation NTE-2005 Master face plate

This is a discussion on ADSL Nation NTE-2005 Master face plate within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The NTE-2005 is an updated version of the standard BT supplied ADSL master socket adaptor. The design is exactly as ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

ADSL Nation NTE-2005 Master face plate

The NTE-2005 is an updated version of the standard BT supplied ADSL master socket adaptor. The design is exactly as used by BT engineers for full ADSL installs but with additional terminals for more flexible wiring. Replaces the standard BT MASTER socket faceplate with a ready filtered double outlet. 1 ADSL socket RJ11 & 1 filtered telephone socket. IDC Terminals on the rear allow connection of hardwired telephone extensions, both filtered and unfiltered terminals are provided. The extra unfiltered terminals make it possible to filter all telephone sockets while allowing the connection of an extension for a modem that is not filtered.

This adaptor can be used instead of separate microfilters on telephone sockets.

You can order this product from here:

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...products_id=90

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      davidw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uxbridge
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      In light of Makka's comments in the 'try the master socket' thread, please can we clarify whether the NTE version works ok for ADSL2+ or whether the XTE version is needed. The NTE version is in stock, the XTE version is not !!

Scrubbless is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Benfleet, Essex
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The NTE-2005 is an updated version of the standard BT supplied ADSL master socket adaptor. The design is exactly as used by BT engineers for full ADSL installs but with additional terminals for more flexible wiring. Replaces the standard BT MASTER socket faceplate with a ready filtered double outlet. 1 ADSL socket RJ11 & 1 filtered telephone socket. IDC Terminals on the rear allow connection of hardwired telephone extensions, both filtered and unfiltered terminals are provided. The extra unfiltered terminals make it possible to filter all telephone sockets while allowing the connection of an extension for a modem that is not filtered.

This adaptor can be used instead of separate microfilters on telephone sockets.

You can order this product from here:

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...products_id=90
      It mentions a special insertion tool, is this actually needed to install the socket and if so what is it.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      It is to push the wiring into the slots without damaging them. Is it essential, no. Is it worth it? At 60p for a disposable one from ADSL nation I would say definately

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Faceplate Info.

Some more detailed information about faceplates.

There are currently 3 manufactures of faceplates.
      ADSL Nation, Austin Taylor and Pressac.

The first faceplate on the market was from Pressac and was designed in association with BT when BT first introduced ADSL to the UK. The design pre-dates ADSL 2/2+ and that was never thought of when the design was completed. The faceplate originally only had terminals on the rear for filtered extensions. Before we were in a position to make our own faceplates we sold the Pressac model but we had Pressac change the design to include unfiltered terminals as well as the usual filtered ones. We named this pressac filter NTE-2005 in order to diferentiate it from the standard version. So rather confusingly there are two versions of the Pressac faceplate with or without unfiltered terminals. This faceplate is often sold as a BT faceplate as it is the model traditionally installed by a BT engineer.

Not long after ADSL hit the UK Austin Taylor introduced their version of a filtered faceplate. We looked at that model at the time but concluded it was not as good as the Pressac one. The Austin Taylor faceplate only has filtered terminals on the rear. Solwise were the main company to sell this faceplate but they have now swittched to the Pressac version.

The ADSL Nation XTE-2005 is the newest model of faceplate that uses the filter design found in our XF-1e filter. We specifically included ADSL 2/2+ testing in our design process. The XTE-2005 has both filtered and unfilterd terminals on the rear.

At the moment these are the only three manufacturers of faceplates that are available. You may see them re-branded by other companies but they will be made by one of these three.

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Faceplate Q & A

Some common questions answered.

Q: Do I need an IDC tool ?

A: When removing the existing faceplate on the front of the BT NTE-5 socket you will probably have wires for extensions attached. In order to connect these wires to your new faceplate you will need a tool to push the wires into the special terminals called IDC connections.

Q: Why do I need unfiltered terminals ?

A: Often the master socket is in an inconvienient place such as in the hall way and with a faceplate that has no unfiltered terminals you have no choice but to connect the modem to the ADSL socket on the front of the master socket. Having unfiltered terminals means that a dedicated ADSL extension can be run to a more convenient location.

Q: What is the difference between the NTE-2005 and XTE-2005 ?

A: The XTE-2005 is made by ADSL Nation and performs better on ADSL 2 than the NTE-2005. The NTE-2005 is made by Pressac and performs well under ADSL and ADSL Max but not quite as well with ADSL 2+. We don't generally stock the NTE-2005 at ADSL Nation as usually we have the XTE-2005 freely available from stock. Recently however we have run out of the XTE-2005 and so are selling the NTE-2005 for people who are not able to wait until the XTE-2005 is back in stock.

Q: I have seen faceplates from various places such as clarity.it and solwise, who makes these and are they any good ?

A: The faceplates most commonly found on the internet are the Pressac model the ones that are sold by Clarity and Solwise are the NTE-2005 they are all identical. Some places sell the XTE-2005 such as broadbandbuyer but generally if we don't have stock they are unlikely to have them either as they buy them from us. We only sell the XTE-2005 with our logo on so if you see a faceplate that looks similar but does not have the ADSL Nation logo on it is probably the Austin Taylor model as externally it looks similar to the XTE-2005 but internally it is very different.

Q: So can I use other faceplates on ADSL 2+ or are you saying that only the XTE-2005 can be used ?

A: You can use any faceplate on ADSL 2+, they will all work and should provide an improvement over using plug-in filters. It is just that you will get differing results from each model due to the different filter circuit designs. So if you can't wait for an XTE-2005 there is no harm in going for another faceplate, you just might not get quite as good results as you might with an XTE-2005.

Q: Am I allowed to change my faceplate, is it legal ?

A: Yes, you are perfectly entitled to change your faceplate. BT is responsible for the wire up to the master socket and the back box. You will see that in the back of the master socket there is a test socket. You as the subscriber are responsible for the wiring from there on and you can install anything you want onto the master socket including a filtered faceplate. In the event of a fault an engineer will simply remove any faceplate and use his test phone in the test socket to test the line. If there is no fault the engineer will conclude it is your equipment that is at fault. Do not interfere with the wiring leading up to the master socket as you could find you have a hefty bill to put right any faults you cause.

Q: What if I don't have a master socket, can I fit one ?

A: You should have a standard master socket if your wiring has been installed or updated since the late 80's. Sometimes you will find you have one in the loft, especially if you live in a bungalow. If you don't have a proper master socket then you should have a junction box, usually on a window sill. There is no official statement from BT as to what you can do in this situation. It seems that officially you are supposed to have BT install a standard NTE-5 mater socket but in reality it would seem that the junction box is the demarcation point. So it would seem that you can change your sockets as long as you leave the junction box in place and do not interfere with the wire that comes from the pole to the box.

Q: What happens if I alter it myself anyway ?

A: If you decide to modify the wiring yourself it is not illegal but it is a breach of contract and the consequences depend on what you have done. If you break the wire the chances are you will be charged the full amount to replace the wire from the pole to the house. If you manage to damage BT's exchange equipment you could end up with a hefty fine.
      Last edited by adslnation; 13-10-06 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Added more answers...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Wonder if Darren could give a thingy tool for free if they mention they ordered it through here?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Scrubbless is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Benfleet, Essex
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I've ordered one, I don't think I have addition extention line in the face plate.. But I have not had a proper look yet.. For 60p i'd rather buy it an not need it, than not get it and need it.

I'll let you know how it goes for me

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I was going to try one of these yet it says that you need to have a test socket! which i dont! grrr!

John_Sayers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rottingdean A
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If you dont have a BT master Socket with the test socket, ie you have an old style you can still fit a filtered face plate. Solwise sell one that comes with it's own back box - ADSL-FFP85D.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

On this page you will also find an NTE5 Master Socket that will take the ADSLnation faceplate.

Hope this helps

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)