Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ADSL Nation XTE-2005

This is a discussion on ADSL Nation XTE-2005 within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have one of these filters attached to the master BT socket. Out of the ADSL port I have the ...

BroadbandKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

ADSL Nation XTE-2005

I have one of these filters attached to the master BT socket.

Out of the ADSL port I have the sky cable connected to my sagem 2304n.

The phone port has an extension cable which runs to the lounge and then another extension cable runs from the lounge plate, upstairs for the bedroom phone. So those 2 phones are filtered at source and should not cause any interference to my broadband .

Also on the back of the ADSL port connected to 2 and 5 is the phone in the kitchen, again this phone is filtered at the faceplate. The wire to the kitchen phone is behind the wall and was to the best of my knowledge put in by BT when the house was built.

Last night sky called and said that in order to improve my speeds manually, they would have to carry out some tests. They said there was a lot of errors on the line and they would have to clear them up first.

The first test was to plug the router into the test socket via a filter with only the router attached and nothing else. I was told by sky that the errors had disappeared. However this meant that I had no phone use.

So I was told to put the filtered plate back on and just connect the router up via the ADSL port with no phone extensions attached. Again there was lots of errors, however the kitchen phone extension hard wired behind the filter plate was still active. And that is as far as sky got with the tests.

I was told to put the router back into the test socket using a filter and connect my other phone extension to the phone port. Then my line would be monitored for errors. I was told Sky would acall back early this afternoon for further tests, this has not happened yet!

My questions are:

(1) Does it sound as if my ADSL filtered plated is knackered? It is over a year old.
      (2) Could it be the wiring that is hard wired into the back of the filtered plate to the kitchen phone?

I suggested to Sky that I remove the hard wired extension and test the filtered faceplate again but they did not have time, hence the promised phone call today.

I could place a filter on the phone in the kitchen as well, this would prove that the filter in the adsl filter is not working for the hard wired connection if there are no errors to report connecting up the router that way.

I could also put on my old BT faceplate, and use a filter to separate the router and the phone extension to see if any errors exist.

And a few more.

The only problem is with the sky sagem router, the only people who can see if there are any errors on the line is sky themselves. If I used my own router I could telnet in and see exactly when errors are occuring based on the several combinations of attaching things using the faceplates. I am eager to do that but with Sky saying they will monitor the line, it ends up with me having to set up all these combinations while sky are on the phone, not the easiest thing to do.

So do you think I should go ahead and do my own testing. I know from sky that plugging directly into the test socket, there are no errors, so it is just a matter of eliminating the rest of the wiring to find the culprit.

To me it sounds as if the adsl nation filter plate is to blame, because all phone extensions are wired or connected to the filters on the faceplate. So my broadband should be isolated from all these sources.
      But obviously something is causing the errors!

I think it would be easier for me to write all the combinations down and work through them using my own router and report on the errors if any say over a 15 min period. That way I will be able to determine for sure what device or wires are causing the problem.

Then I could email sky with my findings and hopefully after changing the cable and/or filterered faceplate eliminate the source of the errors and sky could then manually configure my line to the best speeds.

At the moment I am connected into the test socket with the router and the lounge/bedroom phone extensions connected to the relevant port on the sky supplied filter. I have no idea if there are any errors on the line due to the using of the sagem router.

What does everyone think it could be?
      Also is it worth me sitting down tomorrow morning and using my own router to see if I can eliminate the errors depending on what is connected?
      Would sky be okay with thIs?

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: ADSL Nation XTE-2005

Stats at the moment, plugged into the test socket are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11995 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.0 dB 18.9 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 15.0 dB

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

A filtered faceplate can indeed fail.

I would expect it to work better and longer than a standard microfilter though.

With regards to telneting into your own router, provided that the individual router can support this, then there should be no issues and I know that I can see the errors on my own router using telnet. However I have been advised that the router is reporting more errors than are seen at the Sky end.

If you are interested, it might be worth disconnecting the extension to the kitchen. Make a note which wire goes to 2 & which goes to 5 first. see if the errors reduce.

It is possible for an extension cable to deteriorate at the connection ends, although if the cable is correctly fitted, the chances are reduced.

Finally, have you considered getting a set of DECT phones? Provided the finances are there, you could get a set of 3 or 4 DECT phones, with an ansa phone & caller display. Looking at the Argos site, there are sets of 4 phones available for 50.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What may be happening is that the plug is partially loosing contact with the socket. Try squirting some WD40 into the socket and working a plug in and out a few times. Clean up the excess with a lint free cloth.

As for the errors Sky say they are seeing, did they say what type of errors they were? Not all errors cause problems and even the ones that do need to occur at a high rate before they become troublesome. If I were you I would plug in my own router and see what it is reporting.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sky have just phoned me to inform me that there are still lots of errors on my line after 22 hours since the router was reset.
      At the moment the test socket is being used with the filter supplied by sky, with the router plugged in to the ADSL port and the extension for the phone plugged into the phone port on the filter.

Sky are going to phone back so I will ask them to check for errors with the phone extension removed from the filter. Last night there was no errors using this setup but that was just over a small time frame.

So not sure how it could be the phone extension for the lounge and bedroom as that is being filtered out by the sky filter. But could it be?

It certainly is not the adsl faceplate to blame 100% as this has been removed from the equation.

It points to maybe something external???

Also it is my upload speed that is suffering and I thought that the upload freq range was more tolerant than the download range to noise on the line.
      After all I only asked sky to uncap my upload, the SNR is too high at 15.

Thanks for your reply Scubbie, I will certainly look at simplifying my phone extensions!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      What may be happening is that the plug is partially loosing contact with the socket. Try squirting some WD40 into the socket and working a plug in and out a few times. Clean up the excess with a lint free cloth.

As for the errors Sky say they are seeing, did they say what type of errors they were? Not all errors cause problems and even the ones that do need to occur at a high rate before they become troublesome. If I were you I would plug in my own router and see what it is reporting.
      I'll ask Sky what errors they are. I was told 2000 of them in 22 hours.
      They are saying the won't manually configure my line because of these errors but their manager may relent as there might be nothing I can do about these errors if it happening elsewhere and not in my house,

Thanks

Ask them to set your line to 20000/1312 and tell them you are quite prepared allow your router to handle the errors and you will not trouble them again.

Sky seem to be obsessed with having error free lines

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Ask them to set your line to 20000/1312 and tell them you are quite prepared allow your router to handle the errors and you will not trouble them again.

Sky seem to be obsessed with having error free lines
      Can they do that on a Easynet Conexant based LLU?

I thought that was only on the SVBN?

Thanks

I think that is the maximum on ISAMs, they can set it even higher on the Easynet DSLAM connections, probably up to 24Mb if they were so minded. Even if they can raise it to 16/1.3 it will still give you a lot to play with.The speed it is set to has nothing to do with the number of errors, it is the rate it actually syncs at which will determine the error rate.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just sent the following email as I am getting no where on the phone.

"Someone phoned me up from sky regarding my set up. I was told that I was getting some line errors even when I was plugged directly into the test socket. Right to cut to the chase I don't care about the errors on my line, my router can sort that out. I want a manual profile of 20meg down, 1.3meg up with a Target SNR of 7db for up and down AND a Max Delay of 8ms. Then my router can sync at the rate it is happy with, probably around 12.4 meg down, 1 meg up, with a ping of around 30ms. I would be happy with that and my router can sort out any errors. My line with orange prev ran at 14 meg, 1.3 meg for months without any problems. The only time I have had problems with Sky is when someone has configured the line incorrectly. So would you PLEASE just manually configure my line and we can leave it at that, I will be happy and you will be happy. PLEASE!!! It has been almost 2 weeks of slow uploads and slow pings. Just DO A MANUAL PROFILE, Many thanks and I pray that in the morning my line has been configured to my specified request, Thanks"

I have been trying for 2 weeks to get my slow pings and slow upload sorted.
      I bet my account has been marked as not to do a manual profile.

Latest stats are:

DSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11995 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.0 dB 18.9 dB
      Noise Margin 7.0 dB 15.0 dB

There is no need for such a high 15db upload SNR. And sky won't lower it and I cannot see why they won't