Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will recabling help me ?

This is a discussion on Will recabling help me ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've a really old house and the cable for the telephone enters into my cellar about 2 feet before going ...

3point14 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD Box x2
      Thanks

Will recabling help me ?

I've a really old house and the cable for the telephone enters into my cellar about 2 feet before going into a 1960s style green oval box. From there it is run to my living room and a modern but not NT5 box.

I presume I can do nothing about the cabling from the outside to my house. But what if I remove all this old internal cabling and put in a new master socket in the cellar with face plate extensions where required.

My current stats are:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 711464 1189382 0 75440 409339 0:59:15
      LAN 1185866 708541 0 419895 82670 1:00:17
      WLAN 31574 25263 0 584 1100 0:59:50
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6136 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.5 db 27.3 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 15.9 db

I'm hoping that cleaning up the old internal wiring will help. What do you think ?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Will recabling help me ?

If you can replace the junction box in the cellar by fitting and using an NTE5 with a filtered faceplate it will certainly do no harm. You could even fit your existing master socket as a filtered extension. Whether this will improve your connection we cannot really say, it depends on the quality and condition of the existing wiring.

What you could try before going to any expense, is to remove your existing socket and connect it to the incoming wires going to the junction box. Take your stats there and compare them to what you have now. Make a note of which wires are connected to which terminals, so you can replace them correctly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I need to move sockets anyway so I think this is probably the best way to do it, as you suggest but can I "break" it and then have Sky come fix it and sort it out. After all, I believe they should have come out when I moved into this property but they did not and had they installed a line, as in my old property, then it would not be this old knackered thing.

Obviously not going to pay OpenReach £XXX for it !

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sky would only install a new line if there was no line there previously or the line was broken. If you had a line with a socket fitted, all they do is activate it. You could try 'breaking' it, but it is a bit difficult to do without arising suspicion.

If you get yourself an IDC insertion tool it is very easy to do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

In a previous property, I had a Talk Talk line and Sky came out and wired in another line free of charge (mid 2009).

My guess is that this old apparatus could fail at any time and they are not just going to put some sticky tape on and say well done. If an engineer visits, because the wires have become frayed or whatever, then surely they'll just put in a new connection etc.

I know it is a simple job to do yourself but you're not supposed to and so forth !

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As above you first need to establish whether changing anything will make any difference. If with just your existing socket connected to the incoming pair things improve then the job is simple. Replace the old junction box with a BT80A. From here run CW1308 cable to where you want the new NTE5 to be and fit a filtered faceplate. Run any extensions off the back of here. Re:fitting your own sockets etc, if you use the correct kit BTO will have no issues what so ever. BTO will not replace internal wiring to improve BB speed issues FOC.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.