Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

My BT setup - Strange?

This is a discussion on My BT setup - Strange? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all! I'm new here and was wondering whether someone/anyone could tell me whether the incoming BT setup on our ...

AbsoluteZero is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rainham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My BT setup - Strange?

Hello all! I'm new here and was wondering whether someone/anyone could tell me whether the incoming BT setup on our house is "normal" and whether or not it would affect the quality of our line.

Our incoming drop cable goes to a little black junction box. This I expect. However, there are then two cables that come out of this which run to two rooms in the house. Simple diagram time...

And a photo...

Both these rooms have NTE5 boxes and I've attached filtered ADSL faceplates to both in order to get a better quality of signal.

Originally the downstairs "master" had an extension correctly connected to the back of the original faceplate. This was removed as it was simply a socket at the back of the lounge that we didn't need. There was also an old, unused, monitored alarm hard-wired into the A & B connectors along with the incoming cable. I also removed this (I know, technically, I shouldn't have been playing around with that bit!)

The upstairs "master" has no extension and only has the bedroom telephone plugged in.

What I'm wondering is, would having two sockets directly connected to the junction box outside have an affect on the quality of signal and, therefore, the quality of our broadband connection, or wouldn't it really make any difference?

Effectively I can't isolate the master socket and use the test socket to investigate the line as ,because I have two master sockets and no extensions, there's always going to be something else connected to the line, even with the faceplate removed and my modem connected directly to the test socket.

Also, the quality of the jointing in the junction box is probably pretty questionable as the box is open at the bottom and has loose cables poking out. See the (slightly shakey) photos below...

So, the questions are:-

Is this normal?
      Would this layout have an effect on the quality of the line and, therefore, the broadband connection?
      Should I get it fixed and set up "correctly"?

An ideas or help would be gratefully received!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: My BT setup - Strange?

The loose wires are not going to affect things, but if both sockets are live with your broadband, then this will affect things.

You could ask your line provider to arrange for BTO to visit and fix things for you but I am not sure if there would be a charge.

Alternatively you could rewire things yourself so that the socket of your choice becomes the master and the other is replaced with a proper extension socket.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteZero View Post
      Is this normal?
      Would this layout have an effect on the quality of the line and, therefore, the broadband connection?
      Should I get it fixed and set up "correctly"?

An ideas or help would be gratefully received!
      (1) Not normal but happens when a BTO engineer(assuming they have done it of course!) can't be bothered to run the extension cable from the existing master.
      (2) It certainly could, the only way to find out would be to disconnect the second master at the junction box and re-check the connection.
      (3) I like to do jobs right so yes, I'd fix it. However see point above to establish whether you are "wasting" your time. If you fix it then you will need to run a new cable from the filtered faceplate to a new secondary socket where the second master is currently installed.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

AbsoluteZero is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rainham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Cheers both.

We've only just moved in and the cabling was already up in this state. When the BTO engineer came out to switch us over to the Sky LLU, he checked out the incoming cable but made no mention of the way it was done, hence why I was wondering if it was normal!

The secondary "master" upstairs does have a bearing on the quality of signal. I've been checking the noise margin on our modem and making changes to the cabling from the socket makes significant differences to the noise margin level so changing it from its current state to one where it's run as a "proper" extension probably wouldn't make a huge difference.

I was wondering/worried about the shoddy quality of cabling and jointing in the junction box in case it caused crosstalk and interference. I work in networking so I'm aware of the need for quality connections when dealing with data communication. I don't deal with phone lines, though, but I assumed it would be a similar case. If you have a crap, physical connection, you get resistance in the line and, therefore, a crap data connection.

Unfortunately I have neither a long enough ladder nor a head for heights so I'm a bit out of luck when it comes to correcting the installation. I don't really want to get in touch with BTO (via Sky) as I'm guessing they'd charge for it!

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Don't look in some junction boxes, you will have heart failure!! Telephone is much more forgiving than CAT5e/CAT6. About the only way I can think of getting that sorted would to contact Sky and say you have two test sockets! You are looking to add extensions but do not know which box to wire them from.........
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.