Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Master socket/extension internet question

This is a discussion on Master socket/extension internet question within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I have recently replaced my Master socket with a NTE-2005 Economy Master Faceplate and swapped the Orange and ...

.Lethal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Master socket/extension internet question

Hi all,

I have recently replaced my Master socket with a NTE-2005 Economy Master Faceplate and swapped the Orange and Brown wires from 5 = 3 and 3 = 5 as they were in the wrong way round.

I have done that to the extension sockets as well and have tested each phone extension to check that it works where I can hear a ring tone and also a person on the other end so there are not any problems from what I can tell.

The question I have is that I use to connect the Sky Broadband Router from an extension socket with an Ethernet cable from the Router to the PC. This worked fine (except for the slow internet speed etc) until I replaced the Master socket and re-arranged the Oranage and brown cable, now when I try to connect the internet from one of the extensions I cannot get the @ (Internet) signal to show on the Router.

I would like to add that I can gain internet access using the Master socket and connecting the internet cable directly into the internet socket.

Does this faceplate prevent using an extension (with a filter of course) from accessing the internet now? If so, would I have to put the original faceplate back on in order to resolve this?

Thanks for the help, I've made quite a few threads in the last month or so and have been very greatful for all the help I have received (even if one or two problems were down to myself).
      Last edited by .Lethal; 02-11-09 at 09:11 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Master socket/extension internet question

If you are using a filtered faceplate you will have to connect the extension wires to the A_B terminals on the back of the faceplate to get ADSL at your extensions. This of course, defeats the whole object of having a filtered faceplate and you will need to use filters again on your extensions.

If your wiring is done 'spiderwise' you may be able to make one a dedicated ADSL extension, with the others filtered.

Most in your position would plug the router into the ADSL port and use a longer RJ11 cable or an ethernet cable to connect to the PC. You could also use Homeplugs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

.Lethal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are using a filtered faceplate you will have to connect the extension wires to the A_B terminals on the back of the faceplate to get ADSL at your extensions. This of course, defeats the whole object of having a filtered faceplate and you will need to use filters again on your extensions..
      Thanks, that makes perfect sense and I somewhat felt this would be the answer I get. I am learning something new the more I post here.

If your wiring is done 'spiderwise' you may be able to make one a dedicated ADSL extension, with the others filtered..
      Unfortunately I have no idea how the wireing has been done with the extensions as I only rent this apartment. I do know though from a previous post here that the extensions are "diasy chained" with the last extension have a single non chained wire. Does this help in being able to create 1 dedicated ADSL extension?

Most in your position would plug the router into the ADSL port and use a longer RJ11 cable or an ethernet cable to connect to the PC. You could also use Homeplugs.
      I don't have to big of a problem leaving the Router connected to the Master sockets ADSL port and gaining internet via wi-fi, the only drawback is the powerlead not being near the Master socket so it ends up going right across the hallway near the front door (A mat over it has been discussed with my wife to "cover it" if needed).

I am just seeking any alternatives before deciding if this is the best/last option to go with.

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What I would suggest, as using your Hall socket does not seem to be very convenient, is making the next extension on the circuit from your Master socket a dedicated ADSL socket with a phone connection. To do this you would need one of these - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation to replace the existing extension. You would then connect the extension wires in your Master faceplate to the A-B terminals and in the extension to the Line 2 and 5 terminals. The outgoing wires would connect to the 2 and 5 IDC terminals. No other filters would then be required.

Whether this would be suitable would depend on where your first extension box is situated, but it would remove the need for a wire under the carpet, which is not really advisable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.