Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

My horrible BT phone line set up...

This is a discussion on My horrible BT phone line set up... within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, After I have done a lot of researching on the internet, I was very curious why sometimes why my ...

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maida Vale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB x 3
      Thanks

My horrible BT phone line set up...

Hi,

After I have done a lot of researching on the internet, I was very curious why sometimes why my mum or I can't hear the other person on the phone when the cordless phone Ear level is set to the maximum of 5!! Or why my phone line doesn't support to the maximum of 20MB, only up to 16MB, and not more according to Sky, but I'm only 960 metres away (approx 965 metres) or 2.2 kilometers away from Maida Vale exchange, according to Sky, "Actually, you're much less than that, you're around 1120 metres which is 1.12 kilometres", if I remembered correctly!!

This forum, another forum and this link has given me an idea and determining me about my current BT phone line (can't stop thinking about it), so I have note down the measurements and recorded it all down on my BT phone line set up plan and while I was measuring, I have decided to add some photos as follows:

Main Distribution Point / Demarcation Point, close up, close up 2
      Drop Wire going up
      Brown Junction Box
      Non-NTE5 Socket (LJU2/2A) Inside of Non-NTE5
      Wire to Local Exchange (Maida Vale - WEWMAI), Photo 2

If get Openreach or any Phone Engineer to cut off the 1.05m unneccessary extra wire going to local exchange and add External NTE box a little above the exisitng Virgin Media External NTE also cut off the 1.72m unneccessary extra drop wire and connect directly to the External NTE box in nice & tidy way to make it exactly as shown in my photo. Is it ok to do exactly like this?

I think it'll reduce the attenuation figure a little like around from 30.5 - 32 to 26-29 db? Am I right? Ah! Speaking of Phone Engineers.... Do you know any BT accredited telephone engineers in West Hampstead, NW6?

Here are my calculations:

Distance:- Direct: 0.59 mi = 949.51296 m = 0.94951 km
      (appx)*By Road: 0.8 mi = 1287.4752 m = 1.28748 km

965 metres = 0.59962 miles = 0.965 kilometres
      960 metres = 0.59652 miles = 0.96 kilometres

I guess I need the following list:

• 12m (11.85m) x BT Interior wire (I'm not sure what is the latest Internal cable - I think its CW1308 standard)
      • 5m (4.38m) x BT drop wire (I'm not sure what is the latest external cable)
      • 1 x BT80A BT Connector
      • 1 x Latest Openreach External NTE
      • 1 x Latest Openreach NTE5 Master Socket with Ring Bell Filter
      • 1 x ADSL Nation XTE-2005 Filter Faceplate - I think that I don't need it because I want Commtel Internet & Phone Guard physically fitted onto the Master socket
      Last edited by jonathanen; 25-07-09 at 01:11 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: My horrible BT phone line set up...

The non-NTE5 socket is your master, do you have any BT extensions anywhere else in the property?

You could for a start just remove this master and replace it with an NTE5 master which is a very easy task to do and cut back the wiring as required to keep it neat, if you have extensions they can run from the new NTE5 faceplate or better still, fit a filtered faceplate and run them from there.

You can buy all these and a cheap IDC tool from run-it-direct or ADSL-nation, both of which post on here.

I cannot see why removing a meter or so of the extenal cable will make much difference unless it is damaged, 1mtr is not a lot considering the distance it has already travelled to get there.

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maida Vale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB x 3
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      The non-NTE5 socket is your master, do you have any BT extensions anywhere else in the property?
      At the moment, its been set up exactly the same as my current Final ADSL Plan with no BT Hard-wired extension sockets installed because of the non-NTE5 Master socket, instead I have the following - all connected into 1 Microfilter:

• 3 x 15M Extension Reel with Extension Lead/Splitter
      • 1 x 15M Extension Reel without Extension Lead/Splitter
      • 1 x 10M Extension Cable
      • 1 x Two Way Splitter Adaptor
      • 1 x 20M Phonapart High Spec ADSL/Broadband Modem Lead (Twisted Round Pair)

You could for a start just remove this master and replace it with an NTE5 master which is a very easy task to do and cut back the wiring as required to keep it neat, if you have extensions they can run from the new NTE5 faceplate or better still, fit a filtered faceplate and run them from there.
      Ah! If I pull out the 2 wires carefully from IDC connectors in Non-NTE5 Socket, would I get electrocuted? (I doubt it), but I want to be 100% sure first before I transfer it onto new NTE5 Master socket.

I'm worried now because if I purchase XTE-2005 faceplate, then I won't able to have Commtel Internet & Phone Guard physically fitted onto the Master socket. Anyway round this?

Shall I just pull the end plug of the microfilter with all extensions lead/splitters connected from non-NTE5 socket, and then after I have fitted the new Openreach NTE5 master socket with standard faceplate on, I just physically fitted the Commtel Internet & Phone Guard onto it and then just plug in the end plug of the microfilter with all extensions lead/splitters connected - the same way I did with the non-NTE5 socket.

You can buy all these and a cheap IDC tool from run-it-direct or ADSL-nation, both of which post on here.
      But which one is the best & latest cables for both internal & external cabling? Should I get Cat 6?

I cannot see why removing a meter or so of the extenal cable will make much difference unless it is damaged, 1mtr is not a lot considering the distance it has already travelled to get there.
      Ah! I see, so its best to just remove the old External Black box and replace it with the new Openreach External NTE box on exactly the same spot as before without cutting any wire to local Exchange off.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 23-07-09 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      At the moment, its been set up exactly the same as my current Final ADSL Plan
      Well, that is a nightmare!

There is no need to worry about being electrocuted, there is no high voltage to worry about.

Leave the outside alone, no need to move/replace anything, it just looks a bit messy.

Post your router stats from the current setup and again with everything removed inc. the phoneguard, just the filter & router connected.

If there is no difference in the stats then you may as well leave it alone and just continue as you are.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

This Comtel unit you speak of, is this it??
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My horrible BT phone line set up...-41603018-adsl-broadband-filtertriple-adapter-surge-protection.jpg  
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

I think it's one of these which would cause problems, I don't think you could fit it to a filtered faceplate.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re:cable, no point what so ever in using CAT6, CAT5e external would be fine if you really wanted to do that. Not sure where you will source the new external NTE from as they are Openreach branded and not for general release. Re:voltage, 48V DC over the pair, don't touch both when the phone is ringing as you will get a small shock from the A/C ring voltage.

I've not gone through all your diagrams but ideally all you want is :-

NTE5 fitteed as close to incoming cable as possible (i really wouldn't bother replacing any external cable, you are not supposed to touch this and changing it is unlikely to make any difference, take a look in some BT wiring cabinets to see what i mean!)

Fit a filtered faceplate such as the NTE2005 or XTE2005 clone, if you have an extension to where the modem is wire this using either an NTE2000 extension kit or good quality CAT5e/ CW1308 cable.

Wire all phone extensions to the filtered connections.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think it's one of these which would cause problems, I don't think you could fit it to a filtered faceplate.

Hmm, i a guessing it just locks out the signal to phone extensions. If you want the best ADSL performance then i think you need to lose that. I would guess it could be fitted but it would defeat the whole object of doing so. TBH it also defeats the object of fitting an NTE5.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Hmm, i a guessing it just locks out the signal to phone extensions. If you want the best ADSL performance then i think you need to lose that. I would guess it could be fitted but it would defeat the whole object of doing so. TBH it also defeats the object of fitting an NTE5.
      I agree, which is why I said

"Post your router stats from the current setup and again with everything removed inc. the phoneguard, just the filter & router connected.

If there is no difference in the stats then you may as well leave it alone and just continue as you are. "

If there is no significant improvement in the stats leave it alone.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ffom my POV the only reason to change anything would be to neaten it all up and make it hard wired. (I hate plug in extensions!!!)

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast