Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

My horrible BT phone line set up...

This is a discussion on My horrible BT phone line set up... within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme As I have said before you have an excellent connection. Unfortunately others looking at your stats ...

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maida Vale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB x 3
      Thanks

Re: My horrible BT phone line set up...

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As I have said before you have an excellent connection. Unfortunately others looking at your stats will expect to get 16Mb from a 33.5 attenuation and very, very few will get anywhere near this.

You should add a rider to your 'Rewiring my phone...' to the effect that what you have done is against the BTO Regulations and anyone following your example do so entirely at their own risk
      Thanks very much Isitme! Just checking with the update on my Broadband Speed and I thought that let me add it on here as my record log for my future reference. To be honest with you, I still can't really believed it that I've excellent connection with the full 16MB Broadband Speed from on what look like a shoddy BT drop wire (the one on the left hand, shaping like a U shape, wiring going up - black cable) and completely got away with it!! I guess it's some to do with my own personal customized phone line modification kit - I'm both extremely very, very lucky and very rare one of a kind, lol!

Oh, my gosh!! I completely forgot about that to add the warning bit on my "Rewiring My Phone Line Guide"! You're definitely 100% right!! Thanks for that very much! I've decided to put it right at the top of the page in red & bold letters, so that they know what are the risks involved when following my guide!

Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed

Last edited by jonathanen; 17-08-11 at 11:10 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

As I have said before you have an excellent connection. Unfortunately others looking at your stats will expect to get 16Mb from a 33.5 attenuation and very, very few will get anywhere near this.

You should add a rider to your 'Rewiring my phone...' to the effect that what you have done is against the BTO Regulations and anyone following your example do so entirely at their own risk
      Update!! Update on 20/8/11 between around 20:30pm - 21:00pm!!

Now I know and fully confident with doing my own telephone wiring - connecting a new phone line to external DP / Network Interface Device, all thanks to my local BT/Openreach Engineer giving me his permission and authority to do my own wiring without any help from him, as well giving me two different long cables - 2 pair brown cable & very thick black cable to practise with plus his set of tools from his van to use!! He wanted to do it, but I insisted on doing by myself, otherwise, how can I learn or getting experience from doing any telephone wiring, especially when I’m moving out later in the future to get a place of my own and wanted to install my own new phone line or rewiring the existing corroded phone line without paying very steep fees!!

Connecting from both NTE-5 Master Socket to BT 80B RF3 Junction Box and from BT 80B RF3 Junction Box to external DP containing other users phone lines without touching or damaging my other neighbour’s phone lines!! Its a piece of cake, its only needed 2 wires at each end, as well a right set of decent tools and you’ve got your own phone line wiring sorted out, only to pay for the phone line activation fee, instead of paying for both line activation fee & phone wiring installation!!

As for connecting the wires into the external DP, it’s like connecting the wires into a fused plug for any electrical goods or connecting Hi-Fi speakers into the back of Amplifier via Speaker wires - to me, it’s connecting different type of equipment in a similar kind of way and its the same thing!

Before, I practised wiring from Junction box to DP, I’ve tried out a number of different tests for my sync speed (currently its 16775 kbps & 957 kbps on my same old drop cable) with the following:

1. All connected up including Commtel Internet & Phone guard
      2. Commtel Internet & Phone guard removed, all extensions, phones & modem connected with microfilter
      3. Faceplate used all extensions, phones & modem connected with microfilter
      4. Microfilter & modem only onto NTE-5 faceplate
      5. Microfilter & modem only into test socket
      6. Microfilter with Commtel Internet & Phone guard removed, all extensions, phones & modem connected into the test socket

No matter what I use all 4 x 15M plug-in flat type extensions, 10M flat type extension reel, Commtel Internet & Phone guard or not, its all still the same 16.7MB Download Speed with 957KB Upload Speed & Noise margin is on 7.2db (Down) & 8.5 (Up) from 33.5 Line Attenuation, having absolutely no affect of decreasing my sync speed at all!! I think it’s something to do with the full effect of my personal customized upgrade phone kit - BT 80B RF3 junction box, ADSL Nation XF-1e Microfilter, latest BT/Openreach NTE-5 Master Socket with Ring Bell filter & 20M Phonapart High Spec ADSL/Broadband Modem Lead.

Now my only & final question to ask is what is the new & latest external cable that BT uses to connect from external DP / Network Interface Device to internal junction box? Because I need 5 metres of that new & latest external cable connecting from my DP to my BT 80B RF3 internal junction box and my local BT/Openreach Engineer is not 100% sure with the very latest external cable that they uses at the moment!!

Last edited by jonathanen; 21-08-11 at 06:05 PM.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      [my local BT/Openreach Engineer is not 100% sure with the very latest external cable that they uses at the moment!!
      I'm finding this VERY hard to believe. Sounds like the engineer you have found doesn't value his job too highly either.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      I'm finding this VERY hard to believe. Sounds like the engineer you have found doesn't value his job too highly either.
      I was thinking the same! My local engineers would cut your fingers off if you tried to touch their tools, let alone allow you to do their job.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Smile Re: My horrible BT phone line set up...

I was thinking the same! My local engineers would cut your fingers off if you tried to touch their tools, let alone allow you to do their job.
      Well, well, well! What can I say? Some people are don't care at all or just too damn lazy to do anything to help! When you come to my area where I'm living, you'll see exactly what I mean! Apart from that I really don't know what to say?

Back to my original question... What's the latest drop / external cable that BT/Openreach uses to connect from external DP to internal junction box?

It got me thinking that can I use external CAT 6 cable as a drop cable connecting from external DP to BT 80B RF3 junction box and use the CAT 6 internal cabling from BT 80B RF3 to my new BT/Openreach NTE-5A Master Socket...

Oh, by the way, I've got very shocking surprise about my latest stats that I can't believed my eyes - I'm very serious but I'm loving it so much!! My phone line is like me now - full of surprises, lol! Check this out:

ppp0 Link encap:Point-Point Protocol
      inet addr:90.200.187.193 P-t-P:87.87.250.178 Mask:255.255.255.255
      UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:160006 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:101973 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
      RX bytes:201027498 (191.7 MiB) TX bytes:15474464 (14.7 MiB)

Uptime 57308.53 54419.73
      Wan up 89.39 76.83
      adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 946 Kbps, Downstream rate = 17064 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 5.9 8.5
      Attn(dB): 33.5 20.1
      Pwr(dBm): 8.5 10.6
      Max(Kbps): 16216 1048
      Rate (Kbps): 17064 946
      G.dmt framing
      K: 121(0) 29
      R: 12 16
      S: 2 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 51 68
      B: 120 28
      M: 2 8
      T: 5 1
      R: 12 16
      S: 0.4530 7.5725
      L: 4485 262
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 3548925 3369591
      SFErr: 488 85
      RS: 505721910 180679
      RSCorr: 102161 242
      RSUnCorr: 29016 0

HEC: 450 193
      OCD: 98 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 2305243517 148997242
      Data Cells: 4300315 426194
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 237 28
      SES: 1 43
      UAS: 18 4294165292
      AS: 57283

INP: 0.68 1.95
      PER: 16.14 17.51
      delay: 7.24 15.14
      OR: 28.25 33.80

Bitswap: 11635 1228

Total time = 15 hours 55 min 8 sec
      SF = 3548925
      CRC = 488
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 237
      Latest 1 day time = 15 hours 55 min 8 sec
      SF = 3548925
      CRC = 488
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 237
      Latest 15 minutes time = 10 min 8 sec
      SF = 37720
      CRC = 9
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 4
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55741
      CRC = 5
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 3
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55804
      CRC = 8
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 4
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55741
      CRC = 11
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 4
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55741
      CRC = 8
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 3
      Showtime Drop Reason: 0
      Last Retrain Reason: 0
      ChipSet Vendor Id: GSPN:0x 10
      ChipSet VersionNumber:
      ChipSet SerialNumber:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My horrible BT phone line set up...-stats_25-8-11.jpg  

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSOAK
      Broadband ISP: NowTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NowTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Bare in mind you must have an EXCEPTIONAL line to be getting 17Mbps on a 33dB attenuation. Have to say if the BTO engineer gave his consent then, as said already, he must not care much about his job as if he was found to have allowed you to do what you've done he's be sacked on the spot. Especially in Central London
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      Back to my original question... What's the latest drop / external cable that BT/Openreach uses to connect from external DP to internal junction box?

It got me thinking that can I use external CAT 6 cable as a drop cable connecting from external DP to BT 80B RF3 junction box and use the CAT 6 internal cabling from BT 80B RF3 to my new BT/Openreach NTE-5A Master Socket...
      Why not go the whole way & get the local friendly engineer to patch you directly to the exchange??!! Seriously, leave the connection alone. What spec. cable do you think comes all the way from the exchange to the pole/DP near your home?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

As you have been told numerable times, you have an excellent connection, much better than the majority of users. Do you want to keep fixing it till its broke?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

No way!! I thought let's check my Sky Hub performance statistics to date so far using Sky Hub SR102 purchased from 15/3/15.

My Sky Broadband Unlimited speed has INCREASE much more speed to 18640 Kbps (18.6MB) Download Speed with 1201 Kbps (1.2MB) Upload Speed!!!

Lovely and sweet... Lovely and 18.6MB out of upto 17MB Download Speed...

My horrible BT phone line set up...-stats_3-9-16_13-55.jpg

Thanks

I had to check several times to make sure I was reading this correctly. It is over five years since I posted my previous reply. During that time Sky have made several improvements to their broadband service mainly through the use of DLM which, among other things, allows a lower default noise margin.

Sky and most other ISPs now advertise their speed as Up to 17Mbs, but in fact the maximum you can get on an ADSL line is 24Mb. They do this to avoid too many complaints about not achieving their previous advertised Up to 24Mbs, which a very small percentage could achieve.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910