Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

ADSL Faceplate Filters - SkyUser Reviews

This is a discussion on ADSL Faceplate Filters - SkyUser Reviews within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Background: Just before I switched over to Sky Broadband, I decided to purchase an ADSL XTE-2005 filter from ADSLNation, which ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

ADSL Faceplate Filters - SkyUser Reviews

Background:

Just before I switched over to Sky Broadband, I decided to purchase an ADSL XTE-2005 filter from ADSLNation, which is an awesome product for filtering your telephone line to potentially improve your line speed whilst using your broadband.

The product I initially bought over 2 years ago was an XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate, once fitted this improved my line speed from approximately 3meg to just over 6meg. Now this was a vast improvement, however it should not be taken as Gospel that this would happen for everyone, as everyone's line / connection is different. It does however give you the optimum filtering for your line, as well as negating your use of those dreadful looking ADSL filters.

On Sunday, Sky came out to re cable our Sky HD boxes, and I thought I would use this chance to redo the telephone cable, and hide my extension lead behind the plaster board, up to the BT socket. Unfortunately I couldn't find my IDC Tool and so proceeded to use a small flat bladed screwdriver. Big mistake!

Whilst refitting the 3 extensions and the broadband extension cable, I managed to destroy the metal clamp like things, that grip the telephone cable into the XTE-2005 filter, thus leaving no extensions working.

As I need both Sky boxes connected to the telephone line, I thought I had better replace the XTE-2005 and at the same time, buy a new IDC Tool.

As we have both ADSLNation and run-it-direct as members on SkyUser, I decided to have a quick look at their current line up of products. However, both of these companies have similar products, but completely different pricing structures.

I remembered that Tamar Communications had offered us a discount code for members last year, and so decided to have a quick look at their alternatives. (update Dec 2012 - It would appear their website no longer works so removed URL)

Ordering Process:

I opted for Tamar to see what results I would see for the least amount of money, although I did choose the more robust IDC Tool, so as I would never need to buy one again, obviously you could save a few quid by purchasing the cheaper disposable one.

I ordered my parts on Monday 11th May, in the afternoon, total cost of order - 15.53

Approximately dinnertime today, my order arrived, Recorded Delivery, although I had only chosen the cheaper normal First Class Post, this was a good sign. Inside the padded envelope was the ADSL Filter, the Punchdown IDC Tool, 3 nicely wrapped plain chocolate sweets, as well as the invoice / receipt.

Fitting was a complete doddle and it took less than 5 minutes, and straight away I had all of my extensions back on and the Broadband working. (I will do a tutorial for this very soon as to help others)

Seriously, I was that impressed I actually rang Tamar to say Thank You for such an excellent service.

Quality wise, on first impressions, the Tamar Filter was the same or similar looking quality, complete with 4 screws, and a cable tie. Once fitted it gives me exactly the same stats / results as the ADSLNation XTE-2005 and my Broadband is connected at more or less the same speeds as before.

Conclusions and benefits:

• Having used an ADSLNation and a Tamar ADSL Faceplate Filter as well as testing the 3 that Run-IT-Direct sent us, I can confirm that they are all about the same performance wise as each other, and cosmetically not a lot of difference, although the ADSL Nation XTE-2005 I would say had a slightly higher recess on the back where you put the telephone wires in, against the XTE-2005 Clone offered by Run-IT-Direct, making it slightly easier, using the IDC tool to actually connect the wires to the faceplate.
      • If you have differing stats, between your extension and your actual test socket, this is one potential way of fixing those issues.
      • No longer any need to use ADSL filters.
      • Nice aesthetical solution.
      • Well worth the price of fitting, from any of the below suppliers, for the actual amount of grief that they could save, as well as potential performance increase.

Update: Since we originally conducted this review, Run-IT-Direct have sent us 3 of their current face plates to review, of which I have added images of the router stats below, as well as amending my conclusions above.

So what are the differences between the three different suppliers?

ADSL Nation

As I no longer have the ADSL Nation XTE-2005 Master Faceplate, I cannot provide a screen shot of the router's stats, suffice to say, they were about the same as all those tested below. However, having bought one over 2 years ago, I can honestly say that I have never had an issue with its build or performance quality, apart from my own doing, in re-fitting and damaging the grips that hold the phone wire in, using a screwdriver instead of the IDC tool. I must also add, since I have used the Tamar one, I have in fact managed to repair the ADSL Nation one, and have since sent it to Glenn (SatDish) to use at his house.

Tamar Communications

Router stats using their ADSL FacePlate Filter

Run-IT-Direct

Router stats using their ADSL Faceplate for NTE5 Linebox (XTE-2005 Clone)

Router stats using their Pressac ADSL faceplate

Router stats using their Austin Taylor ADSL faceplate

Suppliers and costs of products:

ADSLNation

XTE-2005 Master Faceplate - 11.39
      Disposable IDC Tool - 0.59
      Professional IDC Tool - 9.78

Carriage - 2.99
      Total Cost of our selection - 24.16 delivered

run-it-direct

BT ADSL Faceplate for NTE5 Linebox, 6 Way Version(NTE2005) - 15.26
      IDC Tool , Simple tool to allow termination to IDC blocks - 0.59
      Professional IDC Tool - 7.04

Carriage - 4.49
      Total Cost of our selection - 27.38 delivered

Tamar Communications

ADSL FacePlate Filter - 7.82
      IDC Cable Insertion Tool - 0.54
      Punchdown IDC Tool - 5.82

Carriage - 1.64
      Total Cost of our selection - 15.53 delivered

Notes:

• If you have differing stats at the extension and your test socket, you could first try removing the ring wire, if you are competent enough. This may possibly in effect produce the same results as having a faceplate filter, although you would still need to use the ADSL Filters as normal.
      • If you do not have any extensions running from your master socket, there would be no need to purchase an IDC tool.

How to find out if you could benefit:

If you wish to try the Test Socket, to see if your stats are indeed any better and could benefit from a filter, we have produced these guides:

Get your Sky Router Stats - Remember to measure your stats both before and after the Test Socket

Test Your Master Socket - This guide shows you how to find your Test Socket

The above prices are current as at 12th May 2009 - for absolute clarity we do not have any association with the above mentioned online stores, and we do not receive any commissions or benefits for promoting them.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 12-12-12 at 10:57 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: ADSL Faceplate Filters - SkyUser Reviews

we do not receive any commissions or benefits for promoting them.
      You are not declaring the '3 nicely wrapped plain chocolate sweets' then

Nice review, it will be a good link when members ask about buying a faceplate.

Anyone who is stuck for an IDC tool should try the edge of a credit card, not ideal, but it will not damage the 'grippers' like a screw driver.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Hi ya News reader

Nice write up. I might just say that a few weeks back I had massive problems with internal wiring. Far to many CRC and eroded second errors which were having a big impact on speed etc.
      Like you I placed an order with ADSL nation for the very same kit as you out lined. I also ordered 7 mtrs of their pro shielded twisted pair cat 5 cable and a pro 1 mtr shielded RJ-11 phone to to router cable.
      Wow it transformed my connection instantly. I can highly recommend this Kit if your having problems with your internal wiring.
      Router has been up for 355 hours and during that time only recorded 500 crc errors in total.
      Previously it was many thousands a day.
      TOP Kit Top result.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ged, the filter Tamar are selling is exactly the same as the "ADSL Nation" one, all they(Nation) are doing is having their logo screen printed onto the faceplate (a service the faceplate maufacturer offers). We have had these faceplates under evaluation for some time(please see here www.run-IT-direct, Supply & Installation of ADSL, Telecommunication & Network Hardware Since 2002 • View topic - Do we sell any other faceplates?and may offer them as a cheaper alternative to the current ones we sell (Pressac manufactured BT Openreach branded).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I had excellent results with a Pressac faceplate purchased from The Broadband Zone in 2006. Since the cable from faceplate to router ran close to several data and power cables I invested in screened cables too, which may have helped.

perifrith: ST585v5>Faceplate Splitter
      JPL

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      and may offer them as a cheaper alternative to the current ones we sell (Pressac manufactured BT Openreach branded).
      I would seriously consider selling them then if I were you. 24 hours later my stats have not moved. Nice solid connection, so obviously the Tamar one, (although it looks physically a little different on the back than ADSLNation and the ones you have highlighted) is just as good as my first one.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've had a sample sat here for months(infcat nearly a year!!!), to be honest our loyalty to Pressac is the sole reason we haven't stocked them(quality & stats fine).

Watch this space, i think they maybe on the site in the next few weeks

Price would be around the 9 mark.

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well done NewsreadeR for the excellent summary on filtered faceplates, seeing as there seems to be a lot of interest in a lower cost filtered faceplate we will start restocking the Pressac NTE-2005 faceplate as sold by Run-IT-Direct from Monday the 18th May for 8.99.
      adslnation

Exchange:
      Thanks

Strange that you refer to the faceplate BT prefer as "budget", we'll also be offering a budget filter only we deem the XTE2005 type "budget", should be around the same price!

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      I've had a sample sat here for months(infcat nearly a year!!!), to be honest our loyalty to Pressac is the sole reason we haven't stocked them(quality & stats fine).
      To be fair, I haven't actually tried the Pressac one, but as a result of this thread, I have now been offered the chance to review one, which I shall do, once I receive it.

A cheaper alternative, which possibly performs as good as the Pressac would be a good choice for you to stock. As I have already demonstrated above, there is a wide choice of products, of which 2 would definitely appear to give very similar pleasing results.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast