Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting Master Socket Replaced?

This is a discussion on Getting Master Socket Replaced? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If so, do you happen to know what BT charge to replace an brass "decorative" master phone socket of dubious ...

hutchingsp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01543
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Getting Master Socket Replaced?

If so, do you happen to know what BT charge to replace an brass "decorative" master phone socket of dubious wiring quality into a proper BT Master Socket?

Basically it was like it when we moved in about a decade back, and having taken the faceplate off I'm simply not comfortable pulling it out as I suck at any form of DIY and don't want to risk buggering up something that currently works.

BT Price List suggests it's a touch under 30 but I'm not sure if I'm missing some small print and frankly I'm not sure I trust whoever I get through to in a BT Call Centre to give me the correct information

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Getting Master Socket Replaced?

^^^ That price list is interesting as it does imply that the charge is 25 + VAT. Other members here have been quoted a 99 + VAT call out charge on top of the charge for the linebox which makes it rather expensive!

It would be worth quoting the price list while ordering to see if it can be done for 25 + VAT which is not really too bad.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have never caused a charge to be made for replacing a master socket, If it's an old one it's always possible to put it down to fair wear and tear. But the cost of replacing a non-BT master is 125+vat.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      I have never caused a charge to be made for replacing a master socket, If it's an old one it's always possible to put it down to fair wear and tear. But the cost of replacing a non-BT master is 125+vat.
      How does the charging work though, is it something where BT would log a default charge when the call is logged or is it to the discretion of the engineer?

Also, and don't take this the wrong way just take it at face value - how comes the price list says "Conversion of hard-wired master socket to Linebox and Regularisation of illicit master socket" which is what it sounds like I have is around 30?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

If you contact BT and say you would like your master socket replaced for one which is otherwise serviceable (for example an old master which works, for a NTE-5 so you can use a filter faceplate) then the charge is logged at the time the request is made. but if you ask for the master to be replaced because of a possible defect, then the eng has more leeway, and just change the socket. The cost you quote do not include time.
      Have just had a chat with a colleague about this, and we think that the best approach would be to say that you wish to install a fixed extension but as you do not have a NTE-5 master, you have no way to make the connection. You should then get one installed FOC
      Last edited by Brian69; 07-03-08 at 09:15 AM.

*skys*the*limit* is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLEF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT AC68U
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sorry to but in on this thread so if i have the ole junction box then, as you are aware from another thread, do you think that this could also be changed to a maaster at a reasonable price... ie with it being so bloomin old now?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Have just had a chat with a colleague about this, and we think that the best approach would be to say that you wish to install a fixed extension but as you do not have a NTE-5 master, you have no way to make the connection. You should then get one installed FOC
      Thanks - I'm not being pedantic I'm trying to understand so I don't end up paying lots for something that is purely nice to have, but isn't that problematic in that a fixed extension (even though it's only a ploy to get the socket) would require me to tinker with the wiring in the master socket hence I'd be breaking the regulations so wouldn't want to tell BT I were going to do it, if you see what I mean?

I've just got back and took a closer look at things, and we have a cable coming out from under the property up the front wall to a box on the outside of the house with an old BT logo (the T with the 2 dots on the right) which has a cover which slides on from the top and has a single screw at the bottom with a piece of cord so the cover plate can't be lost.

From this there is a breakout cable around the side of the house that then comes in through the wall into the lounge to the socket I spoke of, so there is definitely no hidden master socket or something I'm unaware of.

LooieENG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It was 130 for us, but if you ask Sky, they will pay it for you

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

^^^^

are you sure ??

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hutchingsp View Post
      Thanks - I'm not being pedantic I'm trying to understand so I don't end up paying lots for something that is purely nice to have, but isn't that problematic in that a fixed extension (even though it's only a ploy to get the socket) would require me to tinker with the wiring in the master socket hence I'd be breaking the regulations so wouldn't want to tell BT I were going to do it, if you see what I mean?
      No, the new bt master sockets have a back plate which is where their wiring is terminated. Any wired extension are connected to the front removable part of the socket. BT's responsibility ends at the backplate and yours begins at the front plate so you would not be breaking any regs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast