Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Try your master socket for better results

This is a discussion on Try your master socket for better results within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The XTE-2005 is designed as a straight replacement of the faceplate of a NTE5 mastersocket. NTE5s are in two halves: ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      The XTE-2005 is designed as a straight replacement of the faceplate of a NTE5 mastersocket. NTE5s are in two halves: the lower half (that has the socket) unscrews and pulls away. It is in fact plugged into what's called the test socket in the backplate. If you have an old style (not NTE5) mastersocket then you can't use the XTE-2005.

The beauty of fitting a filtered faceplate is that you can also wire your extensions to it. The XTE-2005 has both filtered and unfiltered connections for extensions so you can choose which to connect to for a particular extension's use. For example if you want to plug your router into an extension you would wire it as unfiltered. If you wanted to use an extension for a phone and never for the router then you would wire it as filtered. If you want to use the extension for both then you would wire it unfiltered then plug a dongle filter into the extension, but in that instance you will have negated much of the benefit of fitting a filtered faceplate.

HTH

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks
      @parva

That's a sometimes seen bug in the router (15.5db attenuation is a false figure).
      I don't know why it does it - it just does sometimes.

Attenuation is pretty much fixed as it is largely to do with line length. If you change the noise characteristics of your line (e.g. by fitting a filtered faceplate) attenuation may well drop a fraction but no more than 1-2db.

kaybing27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      The XTE-2005 is designed as a straight replacement of the faceplate of a NTE5 mastersocket. NTE5s are in two halves: the lower half (that has the socket) unscrews and pulls away. It is in fact plugged into what's called the test socket in the backplate. If you have an old style (not NTE5) mastersocket then you can't use the XTE-2005.

The beauty of fitting a filtered faceplate is that you can also wire your extensions to it. The XTE-2005 has both filtered and unfiltered connections for extensions so you can choose which to connect to for a particular extension's use. For example if you want to plug your router into an extension you would wire it as unfiltered. If you wanted to use an extension for a phone and never for the router then you would wire it as filtered. If you want to use the extension for both then you would wire it unfiltered then plug a dongle filter into the extension, but in that instance you will have negated much of the benefit of fitting a filtered faceplate.

HTH
      Hey,

I assume that 'dongle filter' is the same as a microfilter/splitter, sorry if I'm wrong, but if were to run an extension from the 'unfiltered' line for my router, surely I would still need a dongle/microfilter, as the ADSL wire that runs into the microfilter is a different shape than a standard telephone wire.

Sorry If i'm missing the point. I'll get it soon enought :P

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks
      No you're not missing the point

If you want to run a router off an extension then ideally this extension should be unfiltered from the mastersocket. All phones in the house should be run from the filtered outlet of a filtered faceplate on the mastersocket or from an extension that is connected to the filtered connections of a filtered faceplate on the mastersocket.

To connect your router to an extension you can replace the faceplate of the extension with one that has the right socket (best), buy a plug in adapter (next best) or use a dongle filter such as the one supplied by Sky (in these the router connection bypasses the filter). If you use the latter then what you must try to avoid is the router sharing the same line to the mastersocket as a phone. So don't plug a phone into any dongle you are using to connect your router to the socket.
      Last edited by Saturday; 13-11-06 at 02:14 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      No you're not missing the point

If you want to run a router off an extension then ideally this extension should be unfiltered from the mastersocket. All phones in the house should be run from the filtered outlet of a filtered faceplate on the mastersocket or from an extension that is connected to the filtered connections of a filtered faceplate on the mastersocket.

To connect your router to an extension you can replace the faceplate of the extension with one that has the right socket (best), buy a plug in adapter (next best) or use a dongle filter such as the one supplied by Sky (in these the router connection bypasses the filter). If you use the latter then what you must try to avoid is the router sharing the same line to the mastersocket as a phone. So don't plug a phone into any dongle you are using to connect your router to the socket.
      Is this what you are referring to as a 'plug in adapter'? That is what I am currently using.

I think atm my plan is to order the XTE and the puncher, wire it all up so my i have one unfiltered extension for my computer upstairs which will use a plug-in adapter, and the rest for the 3 phones in the house... Sounds right?

Do the instructions clearly state which is the unfiltered terminal(s) and which are the filtered?

Thanks

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Ah, i think i get it after reading here:
      http://www.adslnation.com/downloads/...2005_Guide.pdf

I think I will just map what my current faceplate is like, wire up exactly the same on my XTE and then put the extension i shall use for my computer in the A or B terminal, sound right?

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by kaybing27 View Post
      Is this what you are referring to as a 'plug in adapter'? That is what I am currently using.

Do the instructions clearly state which is the unfiltered terminal(s) and which are the filtered?
      Yes something like that will do it. However, the connections in those things can be pretty poor quality.

I'm sure the instructions will be clear which connections are which on any faceplate you buy.

I think I will just map what my current faceplate is like, wire up exactly the same on my XTE and then put the extension i shall use for my computer in the A or B terminal, sound right?
      To be honest you're starting to lose me

• Filtered faceplate
      • Router on unfiltered extension
      • Phones on filtered extension (or filtered socket on faceplate)

That's what you should be aiming for.
      Last edited by Saturday; 13-11-06 at 02:44 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes something like that will do it. However, the connections in those things can be pretty poor quality.

I'm sure the instructions will be clear which connections are which on any faceplate you buy.

To be honest you're starting to lose me

• Filtered faceplate
      • Router on unfiltered extension
      • Phones on filtered extension (or filtered socket on faceplate)

That's what you should be aiming for.
      Yeh I know what you mean. Nice one.

I have 3 extensions in the house, one that ive followed the wire up the stairs throught a wall where it comes out as two wires, one goes into one bedroom where there is an extension, the other wire goes the opposite direction,throught a wall into another bedroom, where there is an extension. That wire needs to be on a filtered connection right?

It's the wire that goes to my computer room that i find to follow, it goes through a wall outside, then I'm not sure where.... But on closer inspection of my master socket, there is a white wire (same type as the one that goes up stairs) that comes out very close to the mastersocker out of the wall close the floor, that goes into the master socket, i gather that is the one that goes outside and finally into my computer room. This is the one that i will need to unfilter.

I think I got it, just need to read a guide on wiring this all, just to be safe I know what I'm doing.

Thanks for your help!

Exchange:
      Thanks
      I have 3 extensions in the house, one that ive followed the wire up the stairs throught a wall where it comes out as two wires, one goes into one bedroom where there is an extension, the other wire goes the opposite direction,throught a wall into another bedroom, where there is an extension. That wire needs to be on a filtered connection right?
      Yes
      It's the wire that goes to my computer room that i find to follow, it goes through a wall outside, then I'm not sure where.... But on closer inspection of my master socket, there is a white wire (same type as the one that goes up stairs) that comes out very close to the mastersocker out of the wall close the floor, that goes into the master socket, i gather that is the one that goes outside and finally into my computer room. This is the one that i will need to unfilter.
      Yes

When you start rewiring, if in doubt which wires are which then disconnect one set and see what extension no longer works by plugging a phone in and listening for a dial tone - then label that pair accordingly.

Do the same with the others until they are all identified and labelled.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile

Yes

Yes

When you start rewiring, if in doubt which wires are which then disconnect one set and see what extension no longer works by plugging a phone in and listening for a dial tone - then label that pair accordingly.

Do the same with the others until they are all identified and labelled.
      Thanks so much for your help, It would have taken weeks to get this info if I'd phoned sky or someone. I'm gonna stick around here

Just gota order this faceplate then.

Thanks once again!!

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast