Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Big thumbs up for the ADSL Nation XTE faceplate

This is a discussion on Big thumbs up for the ADSL Nation XTE faceplate within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Having made the switch to SKY last month and suffering from constant dropped connections, I must give a big thumbs ...

Connormp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01926
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Big thumbs up for the ADSL Nation XTE faceplate

Having made the switch to SKY last month and suffering from constant dropped connections, I must give a big thumbs up to the help on this forum and the ADSL Nation XTE faceplate.

My situation was:

- constant dropped connections - attenuation 40dB and noise margin of 12dB

- On investigation found my BT line came straight into a connection box under the strirs which fed my internal telephone loom - ie no NTE-5 master socket - eventually found the master socket was an old type "disguised" as an extension socket which was well away from the junction box in the lounge - can only tell the difference by the ring capacitor

- decided to go the legal way and call a BT engineer to disconnect the junction box and fit an NTE-5 master socket in its place right where the cable came into the house and turn the old style master socket into a standard extension socket by cutting out the ring capacitor

- having a master socket I could now look at the router stats using the test socket - it improved the attenuation to 36dB and the noise margin jumped to 21dB. But the external connection on the new master socket was showing attenuation at 39dB with the internal phone wiring connected - I was losing 3dB from my internal wiring?

- after buying and fitting the ADSL Nation XTE faceplate (dead easy) and filtering out the ADSL signal from the phone wiring and using an extension cable only for the router, the attenuation is now 36dB upstairs - the same as the test socket...and the router is stable...

Cannot stress enough - filter the ADSL signal as soon as it arrives in your property - even if your internal wiring looks OK it may not be!

My only worry now is the size of the bill from BT for fitting the master socket .....if it arrives - although I did say there wss noise on my line...

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Big thumbs up for the ADSL Nation XTE faceplate

wish all users were this open to accepting change at their end before blaming Sky!!

glad its all worked out though - i also have an xte-2005 and would never go back!!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket