Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Getting Sky to send me a router with more LAN connections?

This is a discussion on Getting Sky to send me a router with more LAN connections? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I've just started with Sky broadband and the router has only two LAN ports (Sky Q ER115). This is pretty ...

Scramble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Grantham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Superfast Broadband
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Getting Sky to send me a router with more LAN connections?

I've just started with Sky broadband and the router has only two LAN ports (Sky Q ER115). This is pretty disappointing and we have four computers in the house. Wifi isn't really the answer, as we live in a very old house with massive walls which means the wifi is terrible. Doubt even getting an extender will help that. I really want a router with more LAN ports.

I'm thinking I'll have to buy a better third-party router and use that, which will involve a lot of hassle, but I'm wondering if I call Sky and have a go at them whether there's any chance that they'll send me a better router? I could threaten to leave within the 14-day cooling-off period (which I am genuinely thinking of doing).

Would I wasting my time calling them? Do they even currently do one with more LAN ports? Is it just a better idea anyway to get a quality third-party router?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Getting Sky to send me a router with more LAN connections?

Sky are supposed to be releasing a new broadband hub with 4 Ethernet ports but to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been released yet. It also worries me slightly that information about the new hub (picture attached) was printed on the 1st of April this year.
      Getting Sky to send me a router with more LAN connections?-router.jpg
      You could try cancelling to get an assurance that you will be supplied with a new hub when one becomes available but that is not going to help you in the short term.

Rather than buying a third party router which wouldn't be supported by Sky have you considered buying a network switch? Eight port Gigabit unmanaged switches start from around 25.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post

Rather than buying a third party router which wouldn't be supported by Sky have you considered buying a network switch? Eight port Gigabit unmanaged switches start from around 25.
      what seawright said!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Thanks

Third party router all the way !!...but yes a switch would be a simpler option..
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Thanks

Thanks. I haven't used a switch before, and Googling hasn't made it fully clear, but it seems that it would basically allow me to extend the number of devies that connect to my router, right?

But funnily enough I'm actually now thinking of getting a new router anyway, based on reading some posts on this forum. Not only would it be faster, it would allow me to get a better wifi signal. I'd probably have to buy a wifi extender anway if I stayed with the Sky Q router, so I'm thinking that if I'm going to spend some money I might as well just get a better router. But I'll start up a separate post on that.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you want to use your modem and router then bear in mind not all routers will work with sky fibre. Keeping it simple such as a vdsl modem and a suitable router that supports option 61 is a good option. For example a Asus router compatible with Merlin makes it very easy to get it running with sky.

If thinking of getting an all in one device do check wether its compatible with sky etc...
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

Thanks

Is there any point in me getting a third-party router (and possibly a separate modem too) if I'm already getting 70Mbps download and 18Mbps upload (as measured by various online speedtesters, like Ookla)? Can Sky's fibre go faster still with better gear?

(I'm a bit over 2 miles away from my exchange, maybe getting up to 3 if it's following the roads. There are some cabinets a few hundred yards away from me, one is marked 'BT', but I don't know if the Sky cabinet is one of them.)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Doubt it would make any difference. Probably better off getting a decent wap which might be cheaper than modem plus router but you want to improve wifi so either use a wap with your current setup or get a decent router and use with a modem. My Asus RT-ac88u has excellent wifi coverage. I would use it as my main router if I wasnt using opnsense so it acts as my wap.
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR101 + TL-WR702N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scramble View Post
      Is there any point in me getting a third-party router (and possibly a separate modem too) if I'm already getting 70Mbps download and 18Mbps upload (as measured by various online speedtesters, like Ookla)? Can Sky's fibre go faster still with better gear?

(I'm a bit over 2 miles away from my exchange, maybe getting up to 3 if it's following the roads. There are some cabinets a few hundred yards away from me, one is marked 'BT', but I don't know if the Sky cabinet is one of them.)
      Getting a 3rd party router wont get faster connection speeds, but will probably have better wi-fi. Skyeci's suggestion of a wap is a wireless access point. I think the best bet will simply be a switch which will give you more network ports. The distance from the exchange makes no difference just the distance from the cabinet. Sky don't have their own cabinets, they use the BT ones.

Thanks

Okay, change of plan. Wife now says she'd rather use wi-fi than have cables going all over the house (my study gets an exemption). This means I don't have to worry about more LAN ports on the router any more. But it will be a challenge due to the poor wifi in the house due to the thick walls, and the fact that she and the kids like to download movies from Prime. She says she's happy to pay for those disc-shaped BT Home wifi boosters. I don't know if they'll do a good enough job with the current situation. (I have no experience of these products.)

The other option is to get a Billion modem and an ASUS router (either AC1900/RT-AC68U or ASC3100/RT-AC88U, judging from the research I've now done using this forum and elsewhere) like user Smillar got recently after advice from skyeci on this forum. That would cost a bit more, but not vastly more. Would that do a better job than the BT boosters? Also, with that setup you could always add some wifi boosters for dead spots if you really need to. On the downside, there's the hassle of getting a third-party router to work with Sky. I can see that taking ages to get working.

Possible third option: just add a router (like one of those ASUSs) that has good wifi as a WAP, as skyeci and moleman have suggested. But can I do this with a wired connection to it from the Q hub? Or would it just use the exiting wireless signal and act like a booster?

(Apologies for the newbie questions, last time I delved into routers was quite a few years ago, before wifi, so I'm not that knowledgable about the latest tech.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast