Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q/Wifi signals/smart devices

This is a discussion on Sky Q/Wifi signals/smart devices within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I moved into a new house a couple of years ago. It *only* has FTTP (or Virgin) so we're unable ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Question Sky Q/Wifi signals/smart devices

I moved into a new house a couple of years ago. It *only* has FTTP (or Virgin) so we're unable to use Sky for our internet access. We're currently with BT (who are virtually the only option currently, unless you want to get complicated).

We have a Sky Q and a Sky Q mini box. We have various smart devices in the house - one bulb (so far), various Amazon Dots, Hive and am planning on extending. We have two teenage boys who spend a lot of time in their rooms either streaming TV or playing online games, etc. They both spend time uploading and downloading for college work. We also do a lot of TV streaming, games, etc.

Pretty regularly the Sky boxes lose their signal to the internet and I'm concerned its just because we've got a lot going on. I'm also going to be adding to the wifi load, and not intending to stick with BT when we have the option to move.

I'm not looking forward to having an ever increasing number of items using our wifi .. and therefore our wifi settings .. and then switching to a new provider and having to update the settings on all my devices.

I'm wondering if a "wifi router" would help. I'm not actually 100% sure what this is .. but I'm kinda hoping it's something I can plug into my current internet router (regardless of who that internet router is from, or it's settings), improve the wifi in the house, and not need me to change my wifi settings on all my devices if I switch internet providers (ie, I just plug the wifi router into the new internet router and all the settings for my wifi devices stay the same). Obviously I'd have to connect everything to the wifi router first .. but after that it would like being having a domain name for my email .. just plug the wire into a different socket ...

Is this correct?

If so .. are there any downsides, or suggestions, or anything specific I should look for (especially bearing in mind the above and that we're on FTTP).

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q/Wifi signals/smart devices

Rather than change the wi-fi settings on all your devices wouldn't it be easier just to change the SSID and wi-fi password on your new router to match that of your existing router? Wi-Fi extenders tend to do this anyway and many users who have separate Wi-Fi access points find this the easiest policy, as devices just connect automatically to whichever access point provides the strongest signal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Rather than change the wi-fi settings on all your devices wouldn't it be easier just to change the SSID and wi-fi password on your new router to match that of your existing router? Wi-Fi extenders tend to do this anyway and many users who have separate Wi-Fi access points find this the easiest policy, as devices just connect automatically to whichever access point provides the strongest signal.
      It would .. but as I said in my OP, I'm also having wifi drop out problems, occasionally, which may increase as I add more wifi load, which I'm wondering if a router specifically built to give good wifi, as opposed to a standard BT hub, might fix. So I'm basically just trying to work out if a wireless router might help solve that problem, and at the same time negate the need to change my wifi settings on all my devices when I change provider. However ... if the *only* "benefit" would be the fact that once set up, I'd not have to muck around with wifi settings (on either all my devices, or on a new router), then you're right, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks

As I understand it a Wi-Fi router and a wireless router are just two different names for the same thing as opposed to a non-wireless router where all devices have to be connected using network cables. Therefore the BT Home Hub you currently have is a Wi-Fi router. With that in mind are you asking whether you can replace your BT Home Hub with a third party router and would it be possible to retain this setup when FTTP becomes available from Sky or other ISPs? The answer to the first part of this question is almost certainly yes though for specific details it may be better to consult a BT user forum.

The second part of the question is more complicated. If Sky was to resell BT's FTTP or use BT as a partner to provide the service then it may be as simple as changing the current username/password. On the other hand if Sky was to use Virgin Media, another service provider or develop their own system then it would probably mean changing back to the official router, at least in the short term until new third party equipment or updated firmware is developed.

Thanks

Sorry .. I know I've been a bit vague because I'm not sure of the terms of various things .. or even if I understand how they work correctly. My original thought was not to replace the BT router (which I realise does the wifi stuff as well), but more to keep that BT router (hub) for the internet access, but to connect to that a seperate wifi router whose sole purpose was to provide wifi to the house. The thinking being that an item that was produced solely to provide wifi to the house, as opposed to something that did a "jack of all trades" would potentially be better.

The problem I have currently is that I (fairly) regularly .. ie, once or twice a week .. have my Sky Q boxes dropping out .. failing to communicate with each other and claiming lack of connection to the internet. Now potentially, this may not actually be a wifi problem, but a Sky Q problem, I don't know. But bearing in mind the amount of stuff I have on wifi, which no doubt will increase (25-30 devices currently), I'm considering at least trying to mitigate the problem with a wifi router (or at least, my understanding of what a wifi router is).

To explain a little further why I think potentially it might not necessarily be solely a Sky Q problem .. my husband works from home, uses a tablet PC for work that connects to our wifi then on to his work VPN, which occasionally also drops out. Yet other devices don't drop wifi .. so we're not sure if it's coincidentally a Sky Q and VPN problem, or a wifi problem.

We do use Homeplugs .. most (if not all) of which are also wifi extenders. And we don't live in a giant house

The supplementary bonus to having a theoretical solution to possible wifi dropouts by using a wifi router connected to the standard BT hub, would be (I assume) that if/when we switch providers, I'd just be able to plug that into the replacement router and everthing would still work as before, without changing settings.

Again .. being a bit vague and not really sure what I'm talking about

Thanks

This is all sounding a bit familiar. To save me searching back through your old postings did all this start with your husband ordering a second connection for work use and BT just activated a 2nd connection on the ONT but failed to inform either of you that the order had been completed?

It sounds as if all your broadband services are now reliant on a single connection which while fast may have difficulty with the number of devices you have currently connected let alone the extra ones you intend to add in the future. Adding a second router piggybacked off of the first/main one would introduce double NAT which may cause problems with a VPN. There are workarounds but it will all start getting very complicated for whoever undertakes the position of network administrator.

I know getting a 2nd connection for business purposes may be costly but some of the better employers pay towards the ongoing costs of such a connection. I'm assuming your husband is not self-employed.

tarsins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanelli
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Have you considered running Ethernet cables to the Sky boxes and as many other devices as possible? This would reduce the WiFi load and improve gaming (lower latency) and streaming.
      --
      Steve

Thanks

That's correct, seawright .. they did sort of activate a second line .. but then decided there was no need for it as he could use our home network instead (ie, the company saved money). The second line didn't seem to work correctly - the lights were there, BT said they'd activated it, but when we plugged in a company provided router, nothing happened. As there's been so much back n forth already .. the company just dug their heels in and said that was that. Plus we (I) were fairly resistant to a second line, with all the related gubbins, because all we've got next to the ONT is one double power socket. And that power socket already has two big extension leads coming from it, with all the associated equipment they powered. The hope had been that BT could install a completely seperate line to my husbands office (like they do with standard copper lines), but BTO refused.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tarsins View Post
      Have you considered running Ethernet cables to the Sky boxes and as many other devices as possible? This would reduce the WiFi load and improve gaming (lower latency) and streaming.
      I did consider that .. and to be quite honest, I can't remember why I didnt! I do know it's possible to connect the Sky Q boxes with ethernet, but I vaguely remember reading something that said it wasn't recommended .. but I can't remember where or why I do actually have four computers connected via Ethernet - it's not really the big stuff that's eating the wifi (potentially) .. it's more the smart home stuff I'm concerned with. But I think I might have to look into ethernet cabling the Sky boxes again .. try and work out what stopped me last time.

Thanks

A lot of the older smart devices such as plugs, sockets and lamps only support 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi. Compared to 5Ghz Wi-Fi it does penetrate walls better so can give wider coverage but the number of separate channels is considerably less and the channel spacing is such that there is some frequency overlap. Without taking neighbours Wi-Fi into account having a number of access points around the property (even with automatic channel selection) usually leads to adjacent channel interference which reduces connection speed even though you have a fast FTTP internet connection.

Having a 5Ghz Wi-Fi AP in the home office connected to the router ideally by Ethernet cable (though Homeplugs could be used) might be an acceptable alternative to a 2nd line. At this stage you will have more network cables than the number of outputs from the home hub but (in my opinion) a network switch would offer a better solution than adding a second router.