Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Got new 115 Sky Q hub, How to slave old SR102?

This is a discussion on Got new 115 Sky Q hub, How to slave old SR102? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi folks...new old guy;o) Okay, so, I've read a few posts and think I've got the general jist of it. ...

Old Bob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Got new 115 Sky Q hub, How to slave old SR102?

Hi folks...new old guy;o)

Okay, so, I've read a few posts and think I've got the general jist of it. BUT, everyone trying to utilise their old SR102 seems to be doing so to simply extend their wifi range.

My situation is: I have a small home office (upstairs), which is where all the previous WIFI/routers have been for the last 15 years. Now that I have just got Q, I've had to move the new 115 downstairs to the main phone socket (and closer to the box/TV).

My problem is, the PCs in my office are hard wire (no wifi). Is there a way I can use my old SR102 to receive WIFI from the new SKY Q router downstairs, and use it as a hard wire switch to the three PCs in the office? I just need low band 6-8Mb (ish) shared hard wire internet access during the day when all the magic TV stuff is not in use.

FYI: I'm not totally clueless ;o) I Just thought I'd ask someone more clued up if it was possible, before I waste and entire afternoon trying to make it work and ending up throwing a lot of perfectly good hardware out the first floor window lol.

Any tips, pointers, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BOB

2. Advertisement
      skyeci is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Got new 115 Sky Q hub, How to slave old SR102?

the 102 is a modem/router. you can't tell it to be a wap which is what you would want it to be. I would either get a wap device or change cards in pc to wifi ones (if range acceptable) or run a cat5e cable from the q to the upstairs and use a switch or even consider a pair of home plug devices with wifi capability.
      Last edited by skyeci; 26-05-18 at 12:29 PM.
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB