Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Nest IQ Outdoor Cameras and Sky Q

This is a discussion on Nest IQ Outdoor Cameras and Sky Q within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hello, first time user please be gentle and understanding! Just installed 2 x outdoor Nest IQ cameras and ever since ...

Glen1977 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Nest IQ Outdoor Cameras and Sky Q

Hello, first time user please be gentle and understanding!

Just installed 2 x outdoor Nest IQ cameras and ever since have had connection issues with them. They both go offline and ‘spin’ a lot, I’m so frustrated, perhaps naively I just thought it’ll work just fine! I’ve just bought a BT WiFi extender which doesn’t seem to have had any impact. So now I’ve upgraded from standard Sky Broadband to Fibre really hoping this will solve the problem as it’s costing me more money. Just need any experts out there to hopefully tell me what I’ve got planned will work or if not solutions to it. Really loathe to have to spend more to get it working but being security cams I have no choice but to get them working just didn’t think it’ll be this much hassle!!! Appreciate any advice.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Nest IQ Outdoor Cameras and Sky Q

What is your current upload speed? If less than 4Mb/s then you won't be able to use a Nest IQ camera in high resolution mode. For two cameras in use simultaneously you are looking at 8Mb/s. What upload (not download) speed have you been quoted for the fibre package you have ordered?

Glen1977 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi and thanks for replying. I went onto Sky and it said my ‘connection and speed to my Sky Hub was 5mbps’. Couldn’t find anywhere to test actual upload and download speeds? I was told that upgrading to Sky Fibre ‘Your estimated maximum speed is between 42.6 - 55.0 Mbps. Your actual speed is likely to be lower and will be influenced by a number of factors...’. According to Sky’s website, it states top download speed of 38mb with an average of 34mb, nothing about upload speeds.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You can use a speed testing website such as: Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test to test your actual download and upload speeds. To get the most accurate results turn your router's Wi-Fi off and use an Ethernet connection between your router and the PC (or other device) you are using to perform the test.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,649 Times in 1,610 Posts

Are the cameras connecting by wireless? If so that could be the problem. Wifi does not work to well through solid walls.

According to Sky’s website, it states top download speed of 38mb with an average of 34mb, nothing about upload speeds.
      What does it say in your stats? How To Get Your Sky Hub SR101 Router Statistics

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.