Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Packet loss when ethernet connected

This is a discussion on Packet loss when ethernet connected within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all, I'm having problems for the last week with massive packet loss (40%) when connecting to the internet via ...

asc99c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littleborough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Packet loss when ethernet connected

Hi all,

I'm having problems for the last week with massive packet loss (40%) when connecting to the internet via my Sky router, but apparently only when the ethernet port is connected.

My current setup is:
      • Sky Broadband (non-fibre)
      • Connected via Sky Q Hub ER110
      • Assorted wireless devices
      • Ethernet port connected to a 4 port Netgear gigabit switch
      • Desktop / server / media centre connected via gigabit ethernet to the switch

And the symptoms I've been seeing the last week are:
      • Typically packet loss in the 40% range when pinging any internet address (IPv4 or IPv6)
      • All networking within the house working fine.

What I've found today after repeated testing is:
      • On router reboot, usually everything is working fine. The typical ping time to Google is 57ms.
      • After 30 minutes or so, if the ethernet is plugged in, packet loss begins. Starting at a few percent, building up to around 40% after the router has been running for an hour or so.
      • If the ethernet cable is left unplugged, the connection seems to stay OK.
      • Right now, it's been running a few hours with ethernet plugged in. If I unplug ethernet, then from a wireless connection, the connection returns to 0% packet loss in a few seconds. If I plug in the ethernet again, I quickly start getting 40% packet loss (within say 30 seconds).

Any ideas on how to resolve this or investigate further?

Thanks

Andy

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Packet loss when ethernet connected

Thought I'd run up wireshark and see what happens when I connect/disconnect the ethernet... interesting!

The router is constantly broadcasting spanning tree stuff, which I wouldn't expect should be needed, and a lot of neighbour solicitation requests. However some of it was to unknown Olicom device mac addresses... The Sky tech support re-suggested the usual thing of unplugging devices one at a time and I realised I've not been doing that today when I'm seeing the network going up and down more or less instantly when I plug/unplug the ethernet cable.

So down to the switch, I've unplugged a port that goes off to a devolo homeplug I had forgotten about. Once that was unplugged, I got no packet loss even with the rest of the ethernet stuff connected. OK so some progress...

Next I thought about the Powerline support within the Sky Q hub itself. I've enabled that on the router settings, but it can't see my devolo stuff, and my devolo stuff doesn't see it. However, right now with Powerline enabled in the router, I've got everything connected, including the devolo bits, and no packet loss.

I've seen before after a router restart that things are OK for at least a while so I'm keeping an eye on things with Wireshark to see if I can spot the moment things go bad again.

Thanks

OK spanning tree is normal, just not looked in much detail at that before.

I'm intrigued by the setup here though. My wireshark trace can see my laptop connected wirelessly to the router accessing the internet. I wouldn't expect the router to re-broadcast those packets across the ethernet connection to the switch...

I distinctly get the feeling the packet loss could be the router somehow deciding to try and use the ethernet port to talk to the internet, instead of using the ADSL?

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

The protocol used by Sky powerline and 'Other' powerline devices is not compatible, turn it off.

I also use Devolo units, five of them, two with Wifi. I have had issues in the past with loss on various powerline units of differing brands, but since I changed them all to Devolo 1200AV units, touch wood, I've had zero issues.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

tarsins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanelli
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I remember having that when my Q boxes were doing the mesh thing. Since using ethernet on everything and turning the WiFi off on the Q boxes the problem went away. If you have any Q boxes you could try unplugging them from the mains to see if that makes a difference.
      --
      Steve