Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q connection issues - please help

This is a discussion on Sky Q connection issues - please help within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all I've had Sky Q for a couple of years now. Previous Sky broadband and router was fine all ...

Redtel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q hub not sure which model
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Sky Q connection issues - please help

Hi all
      I've had Sky Q for a couple of years now. Previous Sky broadband and router was fine all around my house. Since Sky Q was fitted (the full Sky Q system), wifi reliability in the house is diabolical. Issues include, signal dropping out when walking around the house, signal dropping when sat still, network speed varying massively (sometimes 20Mbps, sometimes 2Mbps). Even Netflix on my TV is like a snowstorm sometimes (don't know if this is related to wifi signal).
      I spent 2 hours on the phone to a Sky rep, trying different things but all to no avail. This was last year but I haven't had the time to spend another potential couple of hours on the phone.

The engineer when he fitted the system even included a Sky booster but this seems to make no difference. I've tried with it switched on, and off, but made no difference.

What I'm wondering is (and you'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge in this field), can I connect a wifi extender, or some other device, to the sky Q hub with a cat 5 cable, then connect all my devices to this? It seems like my issues are related to the Sky mesh network so my thinking was if I connect all devices to this new extender, would it help.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and how was it resolved?

Any help and advice would be great

2. Advertisement
      seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q connection issues - please help

Before buying any additional equipment do you have a laptop that you can connect to your Sky Q router by network cable? If so do a speed test and check that you are getting the speed you expect or at least close to it. If that is ok configure the laptop's wi-fi adaptor in master mode so that it acts as a wi-fi hotspot. Connect to it with a smart phone and check if it gives acceptable coverage. Some wi-fi adaptors don't support master mode, in that case you will have to use ad-hock mode on both devices. If the network cable is long enough you can move the laptop about to see if this will improve coverage. If there is still a problem switch off the Sky Q hubs wi-fi and check again.

If you can get acceptable to good results using your laptop as a hotspot then your suggested solution will almost certainly work.
      Last edited by seawright; 11-02-18 at 04:19 PM.