Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By marjohn56

HG612 to PA-200 Firewall

This is a discussion on HG612 to PA-200 Firewall within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all, I've been looking through the skyuser forums and noticed individuals have successfully got third party devices working on ...

mp0ttag3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

HG612 to PA-200 Firewall

Hi all,

I've been looking through the skyuser forums and noticed individuals have successfully got third party devices working on their sky broadband.

I'm trying to get working an HG612 VDSL modem (from when I had BT Infinity at the same property) with a Palo Alto PA-200 firewall.

Problem I seem to be having is getting the PPPoE connection to authenticate on the PA-200 and provide me a dynamic IP on the WAN interface of the PA-200.

Couple of questions I'm unsure on from the forum posts...
      Does sky need specific username and password for each connection as the forum seems to be a bit unclear on this subject.
      Does the WAN/LAN MAC address play a part in this at all or is this a bit of a red herring?

My current connection from Sky is standard broadband PPPoA connection type, but I've ordered an upgrade to Sky Fibre Unlimited which should be being installed on the 14th October (this Saturday).
      My curent SKy Q hub is also a ER110 model

Any help you can provide me would be much appreciated.

Regards

M

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + pfSense 2.4b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: HG612 to PA-200 Firewall

Sky don't use PPPoA or PPPoE. On VDSL they use Option61, dhcp request authentication. The router needs to be able to send that. You don't even need to have the username or password anymore but you do need to send something in the option61 part of the dhcp request.
      Scubbie likes this.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,186 Times in 2,060 Posts

The password and username you need for Opt.#61 is on your Sky router. If you haven't already got one, you will get a new one supplied with our upgrade to Sky Fibre.

Of course Sky has hidden this information, making it difficult to locate, however there are a couple of different ways to get it. The first is to use a tool. There are a couple of these. The second is to use a network snooping piece of software and listen to what your new router broadcasts.

There are several threads to help you set up a non-Sky router, but I'm not aware of any specific instructions for setting up PA-200. I'm sure you could work through the other instructions to find what you need for PA-200. Try the thread linked below for some help with the tool and setting up Opt.#61.

Fibre and 3rd Party Router - working fine

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Or just wait until Saturday when your Broadband has been upgraded after which the username and password you use is irrelevant.