Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Weird stability problem with 3rd party router

This is a discussion on Weird stability problem with 3rd party router within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; An old O2 Broadband migrant, I've used the O2 and Sky routers since I was made a customer. I got ...

Bunzer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Heaton Moor
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: PAY for ads?
      Thanks

Weird stability problem with 3rd party router

An old O2 Broadband migrant, I've used the O2 and Sky routers since I was made a customer. I got sick of the poor wifi and USB performance and bought an Asus DSL-AC68U modem/router. Setup was painless, and I was clocking over 20k at 1km from the exchange, so quite happy.

One thing which continues to bug me though is stability. The connection is fine with light/medium use, but occasionally (maybe 2-4 times a week), if I use BitTorrent or FTP a big website, the link goes unresponsive and the router eventually restarts the connection.

So, it *appears* that sustained heavy download kills the connection. This doesn't make sense to me. Surely, a stable line is a stable line, regardless of activity? Am I doing something wrong?

Weird stability problem with 3rd party router-setting.jpgWeird stability problem with 3rd party router-log.jpg

I tried monkeying around with DLA, SRA, and I have even switched Broadband Pro line profile management to manual (currently "standard"). Makes no difference.

Any suggestions, please?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weird stability problem with 3rd party router-dsl-log.jpg   Weird stability problem with 3rd party router-dsl-setting.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Weird stability problem with 3rd party router

I could be wrong but it may be your stability settings(1st settings page) which may be set too low, Try increasing this figure and see if that helps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Bunzer (05-05-17)

Thanks

I've tried a few different stability settings, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I just had another deeper google today, and I'm reading reports that the Asus router isn't great with Broadcom exchanges. Their advice was to not use stability adjustments at all!

I've disabled this now (as well as DLA) and have gone back to Sky's Line Profile management settings online. I've put it to the slower "stable" setting, and weirdly, it's now faster than it was before. I'll see how that goes for a week.
      Last edited by Bunzer; 16-04-17 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks

Not reconnecting as often now, but still doing it. Doesn't seem seem to be traffic-linked any more. So "Stable" setting seems to have helped.

Robert1954 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have been using Asus DSL-AC68U for a brief period of time and experienced similar stability issues. Had to get rid of it, couldn't stand constant disconnects.

Best regards,

Robert

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert1954 For This Useful Post:

Bunzer (05-05-17)