Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connect two Routers Wirelessly to Extend network range

This is a discussion on Connect two Routers Wirelessly to Extend network range within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Good evening everyone. I'm in a bit of a pickle here, recently moved into a new property, continuing my Sky ...

NoScrub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: London
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Connect two Routers Wirelessly to Extend network range

Good evening everyone.

I'm in a bit of a pickle here, recently moved into a new property, continuing my Sky Fibre Package.
      Unfortunately due to the placement of the Router half of us in the property are receiving abysmal wireless signal on our computers/laptops etc.

I've read Scrubbie's guide on how to extend it using the Sky Hub (As I have a spare one SR102), however I was curious to find out if it were possible to do it wirelessly...

So main router projects it's signal with the second router catching it and spreading it on...?

Any ideas?

Thank you everyone.
      NoScrub

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connect two Routers Wirelessly to Extend network range

Don't know if you could flash a router with firmware to change it into a wireless extender but even a dedicated wireless extender like that supplied by Sky isn't that effective. It may improve the range but the throughput is reduced by half. Far better to extend using Ethernet. Powerline adaptors could be used if running a network cable is impracticable. I realise that you may want to put your redundant router to good use but if you do decide to invest in a pair of Powerline adaptor you might consider (for a small extra outlay) an adaptor that also doubles as a Wi-Fi access point.

NoScrub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: London
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hey Seawright.

Okay so what you're saying is that the range may be increased but the actual capabilities of connection will be less effective making it slightly redundant to do it.

I guess i'll look into Powerline adaptors then and setting up another access point, I can't run another ethernet as it will run across the hallway. I'll also check out the adaptor to act as an access point - Could this be used multiple times across the house? I know my other housemate is struggling for signal.

Thank you for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Don't know if you could flash a router with firmware to change it into a wireless extender but even a dedicated wireless extender like that supplied by Sky isn't that effective. It may improve the range but the throughput is reduced by half. Far better to extend using Ethernet. Powerline adaptors could be used if running a network cable is impracticable. I realise that you may want to put your redundant router to good use but if you do decide to invest in a pair of Powerline adaptor you might consider (for a small extra outlay) an adaptor that also doubles as a Wi-Fi access point.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

A Powerline adaptor can be located anywhere that there is a suitable power socket, extension leads are not recommended. If it is required to supply service in two different rooms and they don't share a common wall, it might be best to site it in a hallway or on a landing.

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

wifi extenders is another option I got the one supplied by sky many years ago and it works to fill blackspots in my house in the upstairs areas either use sky ones or commercially purchased ones it is possible to use more than 1 to spread signal over large house or provide thicker wall penetration