Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Draytrek Vigor2820 Vn

This is a discussion on Draytrek Vigor2820 Vn within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me setting the above router. The Sky Router isn't cutting the mustard ...

Villordsutch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01925
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Draytrek Vigor2820 Vn

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me setting the above router. The Sky Router isn't cutting the mustard in our home and a friend of the family handed us their old one, though they don't have the instruction manual and looking on YouTube it isn't over helpful.

I've taken a screenshot of the router setup page if this helps.

Draytrek Vigor2820 Vn-draytrk.jpg

Thank you

2. Advertisement
      Gaunty51 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: NetGear Nighthawk 8000
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Draytrek Vigor2820 Vn

Hi, see below.How to connect two Routers together

A common request on the SkyUser forum is “how do I increase the coverage of my Sky Router”. Another common issue is when someone wants to connect more devices such as the Sky+ & Sky+ HD STB, Internet TVs and Desktops which are some distance from the Router.
      At the time of composing this, Sky has just released a Wi-Fi n router which will provide better coverage than the older Wi-Fi g routers. This will help many people because the signal is stronger and faster, but will not cure the problem that many members might have.
      Tests have proved that Ethernet cable is faster and more secure than what current Wi-Fi offers, but Wi-Fi is more convenient than cable. Game machines (i.e. Xbox 360, PS/3) that rely on speed, benefit Ethernet cable over Wi-Fi, so the following pages could also help those too.
      Firstly detail of these instructions will vary between individual routers. Please refer to the specific manual for your router if you are unsure how to change yours to work in the manner shown.
      The default settings for the Sky Routers are very much the same. I will make the assumption that you have not changed these. If you have, then please modify the following instructions to compensate where it is needed. I also need to make the assumption that you computer does not have a preset IP address for you network as some of the address changes could conflict with what happens.
      Before proceeding, there are several occasions where you will require specific knowledge of your 2nd router. As there are many on the market, you will need a copy of the manual or user guide for that manual. A good tip is to type ‘manual for <make> <model>’ into a Google search, where the make & model are for your router (i.e. netgear dgn1000, bt homehub v2).
      You will also need a couple of Ethernet cables.
      If you are connecting the two routers over a long distance, you will need to decide whether to go with a long Ethernet cable or by using a pair of HomePlug (aka PowerLine) Adapters. The HomePlugs connect to each other by sending you LAN signal over your electrical wiring. They are fairly easy to install and normally just require you to plug one beside each router. A search on the Internet will

1. Plug the Sky router into you telephone socket and allow it to connect to the Internet in its normal way 2. With your 2nd or old router not connected to the telephone socket, plug it into the mains & switch it on. If you do not want to keep any current settings on the 2nd Router, now is the time to press the Reset button on it for 10 seconds
      Note: If all goes wrong, this is also how to start again 3. Now connect it your PC or Laptop with an Ethernet cable 4. If you know the address of the 2nd router, skip to #7.
      The default address is often written in router manuals
      How to connect two routers together
      SkyUser ©2011 Page 2 of 3 v.1.00
      Picture 1
      Picture 3
      5. To find out your Router’s address, it will vary depending on your operating system. For Microsoft Windows XP see #6. The following instructions are for Windows Vista & Windows 7:
      For Windows Vista & Windows 7
      a. Click the round Windows Icon b. In the search box, type ‘run’ c. Select ‘Run’ from the list (see picture 1) d. Type ‘cmd’ into the box and click <OK> e. Maximise the new window and type ‘ipconfig’ at the C Prompt and press <Return> f. Under the heading for ‘Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection’ the ‘Default Gateway’. In picture 2, this is 192.168.0.1 . This is also the address of your router

6. For Windows XP... a. Click the ‘Start’ icon, then click ‘Run’ from the menu (see picture 3) b. Type ‘cmd’ into the box and click <OK> c. Maximise the new window and type ‘ipconfig’ at the C Prompt and press <Return> d. Under the heading for ‘Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection’ the ‘Default Gateway’. In picture 4, this is 192.168.0.1 . This is also the address of your router

7. Open your Internet Browser and enter the address of the router in the address line 8. You will now be asked to enter the username & password for your router. If you do not know this, it is often printed underneath the router; otherwise it will be in the manual. This information will also often be available on the manufacturer’s website. Alternatively take a look here:
      ::. Kitz - Get DSL line stats .::
      Although it is a page for obtaining the router stats, it does display the username & password for various routers 9. Now find the page that allows you to change the IP Address & DHCP Server. This will vary between manufacturers & models. It can appear under the ‘Advanced’ tab or ‘LAN Settings’ 10. You want to deselect the DHCP option and set the IP address to 192.168.0.250.

Picture 4
      Picture 2
      How to connect two routers together
      SkyUser ©2011 Page 3 of 3 v.1.00
      Why 192.168.0.250? You need to use an address that is within the range of the Sky Router. To date all of the Sky Routers use the same address range of 192.168.0.1 – 192.168.0.254. These numbers are allocated on a 1st come, 1st served basis. 255 is used as a ‘broadcast’ address, so avoid this. 2 is the first assigned number to a PC. 250 is a nice ‘decimal’ number for us humans to refer to as well. So my recommendation would be to use 192.168.0.250 as it reduces problems where two or more devices on your network have the same address. Any additional routers could then count down from this start point

11. Save or ‘Apply’ these settings. At this point you won’t be able to temporarily see the router. Don’t worry, you have just changed its address and you computer is looking at the old address still 12. Close your browser 13. Disconnect the Router from your computer 14. Now you can connect your Sky router & the 2nd router together with the second Ethernet cable 15. Now reconnect your computer to the 2nd Router 16. Now open your browser and see if you can access the Internet. If this doesn’t work, recheck everything above 17. Assuming all is fine then, the next stage is to configure the Wi-Fi for the 2nd router. To do this, you will need to read through the manual for the 2nd Router. Remember that the address for it is now 192.168.0.250. We haven’t change the username or password, so these will remain the same 18. Once you have configured the Wi-Fi, disconnect the cable from the 2nd router and see if you can connect via Wi-Fi to it. If you have another computer or device, you are more than welcome to use that instead of the computer you have been using so far 19. You are now ready to relocate the 2nd router to where it is going to live. If you are using a long Ethernet cable, then plug one end into your Sky router, and the other into one of the LAN ports on the 2nd Router
      If you are using a pair of HomePlugs, then plug the first HomePlug into the Sky Router. Place the 2nd HomePlug in a socket near to where you want the 2nd Router and connect the Ethernet cable to the 2nd HomePlug and the 2nd Router
      Should you experience a problem with the HomePlugs, check the following: a. That they work side-by-side in a socket that is not surge protected b. That you have not plugged either of them into a surge protected socket c. You have synchronised them if they require it (check the instructions that came with them) d. You have followed any other instructions which might have come with them

20. Just to confirm that everything is still working, reconnect your computer or another computer or device to the 2nd Router (either by Wi-Fi if available or by Ethernet cable) and see if you can access the Internet
      Quote Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
      Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me setting the above router. The Sky Router isn't cutting the mustard in our home and a friend of the family handed us their old one, though they don't have the instruction manual and looking on YouTube it isn't over helpful.

I've taken a screenshot of the router setup page if this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draytrk.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	6282

Thank you

Villordsutch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01925
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Draytrek Vigor2820 Vn

Gaunty,

Thank you for the above, however we currently have a brand new router (the Sky Q one) new cables and microfilter, BT have been out and fitted a new box to the wall. However due to were the main phone line is based Sky themselves have even mentioned we possibly may want to look at another router.

Our friend offered this one as the wifi aerials on the back are supposedly better for our home.