Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using Sky Hub SR102 as an access point

This is a discussion on Using Sky Hub SR102 as an access point within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all - first post here so be gentle with me! I'm not a Sky customer. I'm with Vodafone (Ireland) ...

papaquebec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Using Sky Hub SR102 as an access point

Hi all - first post here so be gentle with me!

I'm not a Sky customer. I'm with Vodafone (Ireland) and have their Huawei 4-port modem/router.

I have a media player and 4 x 5TB HDD's attached to my network via an old Telsey modem/router left over from a defunct account with another ISP acting as an access point.
      I wish to replace the old Telsey with a Sky S102 that I picked-up second-hand. My problem is that the SR102 will not allow me to access the internet (via the Huawei) unless I disable DHCP (I get a "not quite connected" error-page)
      If I disable DHCP I cannot access my network shares! - I cannot open the Telsey's config and copy settings as the ISPit belonged to disabled user-access.

Any ideas?

TIA

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Using Sky Hub SR102 as an access point

If you follow the instructions here - How to connect two Routers together you should have no problem. Just change the address to suit your Huawei, ie, the SR102's address must be in the same range as the Huawei. Note that you must have the DHCP server turned off, or you will run into address collisions.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

papaquebec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Using Sky Hub SR102 as an access point

I've done all that.

I currently have an old Telsey router acting as an access point (and providing WiFi) but I want to replace it with the smaller, neater SR102. I cannot access the Telsey's config page to mimic it's settings as it's unavailable to users (set by ISP)

Using the Telsey I can access all my network shares, and have no issues accessing the web from my PC connected directly to the Huawei modem.
      When I replace the Telsey with the SR102 I can only access my shares with DHCP swtched on (on the SR102). If I try to access the web (again via PC connected directly to the Huawei) I get a "connection error" page generatedby the SR102

Swtch off DHCP and I have web but no network shares!

PS.Why do I have missed characters while inputting text to this forum ( every few characters missing)?