Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT Openreach Fibre Modem + Archer D20?

This is a discussion on BT Openreach Fibre Modem + Archer D20? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hey guys, I am a techy kind of guy but not so much in depth router techy. I have been ...

ScoteBurz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link Archer D20
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BT Openreach Fibre Modem + Archer D20?

Hey guys, I am a techy kind of guy but not so much in depth router techy. I have been trying to set myself and the family free of the god awful sky hub but my weeks on end research is just draining and so i thought i may as well just ask the question directly as i couldn't find an answer that suited me.

So i have the SR102, i've had about 5 of them as i keep complaining to sky how it constantly drops out etc so they keep giving me another one to break. The household has around 20+ devices connected wirelessly, I just don't think it can take it.

So i went ahead and bought an Archer d20 and a bt fibre modem as i have spoken to computer guys recommending this but I have had 0 luck! Will this combo not work?

Ive seen you can get routers out the box and they will work but as i already have this combo, i thought id try it, but its giving me grief!

There is obviously a lot more going on but im trying to give the necessary information, any extra information I'm happy to give out!

Please help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Scott.

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: BT Openreach Fibre Modem + Archer D20?

Whichever router you chose to use with your OpenReach Modem it must be able to support DHCP option61, you don't need to extract the username|password from your existing Sky router on fibre connections but you must send something in the option61 parameter. I don't think the D20 supports option61 so that is why you are having issues.

Also, if you have that many wireless connections you are going to be better off with something like an Asus AC-RT68U, you will need to flash it it with Merlin firmware but it works well and works with IPv6. The other option is to turn off the wireless on the SR102 and connect the D20 up as a wireless access point.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------