Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

Bridge with Sky Q Hub

This is a discussion on Bridge with Sky Q Hub within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi can anyone help a poor old lorry driver who is trying to set up a bridge with his sky ...

paulwiecek is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01765
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q
      Sky TV: Sky QSilver
      Thanks

Bridge with Sky Q Hub

Hi can anyone help a poor old lorry driver who is trying to set up a bridge with his sky q hub.
      I have 2 devices that need Ethernet connection, Sky said to get a bridge, but when I connect them they won`t work.
      My name is Paul Wiecek and I`m not good on technology.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Bridge with Sky Q Hub

Welcome to the forums paulwiecek,

Firstly it might help us better to understand what you are actually looking to do (prior to calling Sky), what you have used and what you were advised to do.

There are a number of ways to link a device via the Ethernet to the Sky Q Hub. The simplest would be to run a suitable length of cable from the Q Hub to the device you're wanting to connect. I would suggest a Cat 5e cable if this is what you can do. Just be careful about laying it out please. Don't let it run where your feet are likely to walk over it or have any sharp bends. Otherwise you can run the cable up to a distance of 100m if required.

If you are looking to create a new WiFi hotspot, then there are a number of ways to handle this. One method would be to use your old router. This method is explained in more detail in the thread linked below:

How to connect two Routers together

This method works best with a length of Ethernet cable, but HomePlugs are Ok. What are HomePlugs? That's next...

If you can't run a length of Ethernet cable from the Q Hub to where you need access due to distance and obstacles, then a HomePlugs or PowerLine Adaptors are your answer. These use your electrical cables to pass the Ethernet signal between two points. You then simply plug one near your Q Hub and the other near where you need the device. There can be issues, such as poor wiring or circuits isolated by different fuse boxes, but generally if you're not worried about speed, then they are a great option.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi I recently changed to Sky Broadband, the old router had 4 ports but the Sky one has only 2 ports.
      I have 2 devices that need ethernet connection, I was told by Sky to get a bridge, this I did but when I connected the devices they won`t connect.
      If I plug directly to the router they work.
      Not being really computer savvy I`m at a loss. The supplier of the bridge are very slow to help.
      If anyone can help I would appreciate it
      Thanks
      Paul

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What you really needed was a Switch, 5 or 8 port, not a bridge. These connect to the router by ethernet and do not require any setting up. If you don't want to spend more money and still have it, you can use your old router as a switch. Just follow the article linked by Scubbie in her post.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I got a 5 Port Gigabit switch.
      As for connecting 2 routers together, it blew my mind looking at it.