Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Netgear WGR 614 Router Usage

This is a discussion on Netgear WGR 614 Router Usage within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi All, Current Sky Package - Sky Max 16Mb Router says I'm connceted @~7.5Mb Previous Package: - Another ISP 8Mb ...

aazzguard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kneller Hall
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Netgear WGR 614 Router Usage

Hi All,

Current Sky Package - Sky Max 16Mb
      Router says I'm connceted @~7.5Mb

Previous Package: - Another ISP 8Mb

Problem: Old 8mb package was faster than my current Sky one.

A colleague from work has used his old router to obtain a faster connection from Sky.

I want to try and do the same using my WGR 614 router which I used with my previous ISP. I have obtained my true username/password using the "URL Injection" method.

My actual questions are:

1. How do I use the info I have on the WGR 614 router

2. Can the WGR 614 router connect at higher speeds or will I be capped at 8Mb (not sure if this is an ADSL+2 router)

Hopefully the questions make sense - if not please feel free to ask me anything to clarify. I'm not a techie so please forgive me if I have asked any silly questions.

Thanks, A.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      You haven't really given enough of your router stats to comment fully.

The speed your router connects at, in simple terms, is determined by the distance you are from the exchange (line length) and the amount of noise on the line. These two parameters work together but line length is primary (measured as downstream attenuation in your router stats).

For example, you say your router connects at ~7500kbps which for a "normal" quality line correlates to an attenuation of ~45db for ADSL2+.

So, if you look at your router stats and see that downstream attenuation is indeed ~45db then the speed you have is as good as it gets.

If your attenuation is less than 45db then this means the second parameter is having an effect: noise.

Your router will report a noise margin figure. This is not a measure of noise on the line. It is a measure of how much leeway the router has (like a buffer zone). Your (Sky) router will always sync when powered up at the highest speed it can with a noise margin of 6.9 or greater.

Therefore, for the brief stats you gave, if your attenuation is <45db then you have an opportunity to reduce noise on your line and increase connection speed. Go to the cabling and faceplate help forum for more information.

Returning to your query, I can't really comment on why your friend got a better connection speed with a different router. I suspect other factors were coming into play. However, I'm a little puzzled by your suggested use of a WGR614 as this doesn't seem to be an ADSL router let alone ADSL2+ (it has no "modem")?

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Saturday - Thanks for replying. Will these stats help?

Connection Speed 7717 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 db 23.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 12.0 db

WRT to the WGR614 - I got this from Homechoice who were my ISP and it did used to connect to their cable box so that probably had the modem built in then. I'm willing to buy a new router if I can get faster speeds. What would you advise?

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Your stats suggest a possible connection speed of ~12000kbps which is significantly more than you have at the moment.

To test whether improving the filtering on your connection would achieve this you should connect your router to the test socket of your mastersocket. Assuming you have a modern NTE5 mastersocket, you'll find the test socket behind the faceplate. All you need to do is unscrew the front and gently pull it away and the test socket will be revealed.

If you get a significant connection speed boost then you would benefit from fitting a replacement filtered faceplate (5min and <15).

See the cabling and faceplate forum for more info if you're unsure.

Yes, the WGR614 is just a router. The internet connection would have been handled separately.

In my own opinion I can see no justification to buy a different router from the one Sky supplied for speed improvement.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had a look and there is no master socket. Just your standard small BT box. What can I do about that?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Unofficially you could change it for a master one, however it is unclear as to whether this is legal or not

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

operationfirefly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

uPnP

Quote Originally Posted by aazzguard View Post
      A colleague from work has used his old router to obtain a faster connection from Sky.
      Hi there,

Let me introduce myself. I am Paladin. I use a false name because infact I work for the company in question and would prefer not to be identified. I will be making quite a few replys to posts in the next few months. If you have any questions then you can ask me directly.

I read your query and know what you are on about. As everyone knows, sky supplies a netgear 834 for use by its subscribers. By using another router speed has been known to improve. However there is a reason for this. The 834 has been rebranded as a sky broadband box and the firmware onboard has been changed. As someone who has taken numerous calls from customers i have found that the firmware on the box does have a small glitch. The original firmware on these boxes is fine by the sky firmware has an issue with uPnP (Universal Plug and Play). For some reason when its on it knocks the noise margin around a bit

If you login to the router. Internet Explorer. Type http://192.168.0.1 Username:Admin Password: Sky and then switch off the uPNP. This may resolve your problem. If you need anymore help then please mail me.
      Last edited by Saturday; 12-11-06 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Reduced size of quote

operationfirefly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Faceplate

You can pay to have BT Replace it if you so wish

Quote Originally Posted by aazzguard View Post
      I've had a look and there is no master socket. Just your standard small BT box. What can I do about that?

Exchange:
      Thanks
      @aazzguard

You have a few choices if you want to improve that old socket:

Ideal would be a straight replacement and you can, as operationfirefly states, pay BT to replace it. This is likely to cost you between 65 and 135. Until recently one of the two lines in my house had an "old" socket. I felt voice calls on this line were sometimes a little crackly so asked BT to look at this. They replaced the old socket with a nice new filtered one (standard BT ADSL Adaptor) for free.

You could simply replace it yourself but as NewsreadeR says, there is some question over the legality of this. BTs demarcation line is at the point where the phone line enters your property. This is generally seen to mean the wires up to and including the back of the socket. This is why it is perfectly legal to replace the faceplate on an NTE5 mastersocket. With an old socket it is not so clear. What appears to be fine is to fit a new NTE5 wired directly to the old socket which of course can have a filtered faceplate and have the house extensions wired to it. Some time ago I saw a guide on how to do this but can't find it just now. If this is something you're considering let me know and I'll track it down.

Operationfirefly's comment about UPnP "knocking the noise margin around a bit" is a new one on me. Other Skyuser members have noticed and suffered a UPnP "bug" which is well known as a source of disconnections and there are numerous posts on this forum to that effect. I have never heard it reported that turning off UPnP may give a speedboost (it certainly made no difference to me). However, unless you really need it then in my opinion it is best to turn it off anyway and use portforwarding for any applications that need it.

In the end it's all down to you. Improving your physical connection is likely to give a speed boost but you won't know until you try it. It is also likely to improve your connection stability though you've not raised this as an issue.
      Last edited by Saturday; 12-11-06 at 11:01 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      @operationfirefly

Welcome to the forum.

I've resurrected an old thread in the technical discussion forum about UPnP.

uPNP Update

Perhaps you'd like to add your knowledge about this issue? You've raised one or two aspects not discussed before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast