Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setting up a wi-fi hotspot from a PC

This is a discussion on Setting up a wi-fi hotspot from a PC within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I'm on holiday in the USA. Normally, the places I stay have wi-fi in the accommodation, but there is a ...

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Setting up a wi-fi hotspot from a PC

I'm on holiday in the USA. Normally, the places I stay have wi-fi in the accommodation, but there is a problem in my current unit. The wi-fi doesn't work and there is zero chance of the management fixing it; they don't care. Fortunately the cable TV box in the room has an ethernet port, so we are able to get fast internet, but only on 1 laptop at a time and nothing on tablets or phones.

As a result I have been trying to set up a wi-fi hotspot from the cable-linked laptop so that all the other devices can connect, but with very little success. I have used the "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Whatever key=password" and "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" commands and also a number of utilities, such as Wi-Host and MyPublicWiFi. In each case, the hotspot sets itself up and is visible to all devices; it's even possible to log in. However, it's not possible to establish an internet connection. The odd thing is that a laptop logged in to the wi-fi hotspot can connect to a few web sites. All those that it will connect to have ipv6 addresses; those it cannot connect to don't and I cannot connect to sites which appear to have only an ipv4 address. I have checked that the adapters all have ipv4 and ipv6 drivers.

Both laptops use Win 8.1 and the above occers no matter which laptop I use to set up the hotspot.

Can any wizards out there suggest a solution?

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Setting up a wi-fi hotspot from a PC

Sounds like a NAT problem. If you can't solve it how about running Squid or another web proxy on your laptop so that clients can connect to the www using the proxy.

I'm assuming clients can connect to services that are running on your laptop.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I don't have Windows 8.1 so not sure where to find all the settings but wondered if this article might help:
      Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - Windows Help

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll have a look at a web proxy like Squid.
      Wireless