Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

keep or remove and change SR102?

This is a discussion on keep or remove and change SR102? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi All Let me explain before I ask for help. We moved house in July this year from a Virgin ...

lightbodyae55 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

keep or remove and change SR102?

Hi All

Let me explain before I ask for help.

We moved house in July this year from a Virgin Media area whereupon we were on their cable broadband which is fibre optic. We have now moved to a non Virgin Media area so we have had to have a different provider, so we decided on sky unlimited broadband, along with the sr102 router.
      I went online and found this forum and I asked for help with installing an Asus RT-N56U, and through the post of 'How to connect 2 routers together' I eventually got the Asus and SR102 working together.

However I was not happy with the speed of the internet, having had fast speeds with Virgin fibre, so I decided to upgrade to sky fibre, and obtained a great deal (10.00 per month for 12 months). This took place earlier this month, still with the SR102. Not impressed with this router.

Reading on this forum as well as others on internet the consensus of opinion is to get another decent router and remove the SR102, or get a BTO modem for around 30 online and another router.

With this in mind someone advised me to get a Asus DSL-N55U as this would work and take the place of the SR102. So I went ahead and purchased one, only to find that I need an vdsl one and not an adsl one.

So what do I do

1. Leave alone as is with SR102 and Asus RT-N56U connected.
      2. Get a BTO modem attach Asus DSL-N55U and do away with SR102
      3. Get a vdsl router like the Asus DSL N68U and have it on it's own.
      4. Or get the cheapest vdsl router (Thompson I think?) and attach either Asus router.

Any advice would be appreciated.

lightbodyae55

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: keep or remove and change SR102?

Which router arrangement you use isn't going to make a huge difference to the Internet speed if you are comparing Sky Broadband Unlimited to VM's 150mb product. At best your connection will provide 23mb down and 1.4mb up.

Which choice you go for depends on your knowledge level, competence and what you are prepared to spend.

I did purchased a Netgear DGND3800 a few years back when I had the Sky BB Unlimited product but it didn't do what I wanted and in the end Netgear swapped it for a WNDR3800 and their ADSL Modem (they knew I was waiting for FTTC).

I did try the DD-WRT and OpenWRT firmwares on my WNDR3800 and I disliked them both. They also didn't provide me the full WiFi speed I had become accustomed to (300mbps). With this in mind I have the following setup:

BTO Modem -> Sky Hub SR101 -> Netgear WNDR3800

See this guide: Using the DLink DIR613.

Since the SR101 doesn't have a VDSL Modem I need the BTO Modem and as the Netgear can't pass on the log in details to Sky's servers, I need the SR101.

The only 'issues' I have is being able to refer to my NAS or IP Cameras. I have to use the local IP Address when at home and the WAN Address when out. Otherwise all is fine.

In your case you could set up the Sky Hub SR102 on either ADSL or VDSL (i.e. Sky Fibre), use the guide above and the use whichever cable router you wish to run your home network.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

lightbodyae55 (29-11-14)