Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Modem Routers which will connect direct to Sky Fibre.

This is a discussion on Modem Routers which will connect direct to Sky Fibre. within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; If you are using a router which is able to connect direct to Sky Fibre, not through a modem , ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Modem Routers which will connect direct to Sky Fibre.

If you are using a router which is able to connect direct to Sky Fibre, not through a modem, please post here. This is not a help thread as such but one where users can find out which modem routers will connect direct. This one is to kick things off - Draytek 2750vn -
      Draytek 2750vn

Any others proved to work, please post here.

Do not add queries to this thread, it is purely a list of working routers. We do not want the thread cluttered with questions.
      Last edited by Isitme; 23-03-14 at 01:56 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

azer (28-02-14)

3. Advertisement
      azer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kilburn
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Modem Routers which will connect direct to Sky Fibre.

Following searches on the web and reading about other contributions'experiences (such as this, this, this and this), I purchased a Vigor 2860n and successfully set it up to directly connect to Sky Fibre. This is what I did and hope it will help users who want to achieve the same (I have already posted it on the DrayTek Forum but as per Isitme suggestion, I am including it on this forum too):

1) Upgrade to firmware 3.7.3.3 (if it is not already done by the manufacturer)

2) Get the username/password (macaddress@skydsl|password) for DHCP Option 61, using Wireshark and User Guide to obtain Sky username and password.

3) Get your Sky router serial number and associated data for DHCP Option 60. This data block is located immediately after the username/password block. Use the same method you did for extracting the username/password (step 2). It's possible (but I am not sure) to use 1.15h.2138.R|001|SR101|serial_number if your router is SR101 or 2.1m.3173.R|001|SR102|serial_number, if it is an SR102. The serial_number is written on your router.

4) Login to the 2860:

4.1) WAN >> General Setup >>

WAN1 Page>> Enable: Yes; Display Name: Vigor2860 (optional); DSL Mode: VDSL2 only; DSL Modem Cable: Default; VLAN Tag insertion Enable, Tag value: 101; OK

WAN >>Internet Access >> WAN1 Access Mode: MPoA / Static or Dynamic IP; click Details Page:

Select MPoA / Static or Dynamic IP Page:

Enable

Multi-PVC channel: Channel 2

Encapsulation: 1483 Bridged IP LLC

VPI: 0

VCI:101

MTU 1500

Select 'Obtain an IP address automatically'

Router Name: Vigor (you can put any valid string; but I don't think you can leave it as blank)

Domain Name: Sky (again, you can put any valid string but I don't think you can leave it as blank)

DHCP Client Identifier for some ISP: Enable; and put the username and password obtained in Step 2 above.

MAC Address: you can leave it as default or enter the MAC address used in username (spoofing MAC address).

Don't select "Specify an IP address"; the related fields will be populated once the connection to the ISP established.

The above processes are probably straightforward to many; but the tricky part is to configure the DHCP options, without which a connection to the ISP maybe made but no IP address will be allocated.

4.2) LAN >> General Setup >>

Click on the Advance button (in the middle of the page):

Data Type: ASCII

Option Number: 60

Data: Enter 1.15h.2138.R|001|SR101|serial_number or 2.1m.3173.R|001|SR102|serial_number or anything else extracted in Step 3, above.

Click Add

Option Number: 61

Data: Enter macaddress@skydsl|password extracted in Step 2.

Click Add

Click OK.

These DHCP options are part of the WAN; I am not sure why DrayTek have included them in the LAN section, which can easily be missed out of configuration.

The DHCP options can also be configured via telneting to the router; but I prefer this approach.

Reboot your router.

... And that should be it. If all goes well connection will be established about one minute after the reboot.

I ran speed tests on both routers; the results are very much the same.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by azer; 03-03-14 at 11:43 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azer For This Useful Post:

adrianrb (08-03-14),Joners (30-06-14)

adrianrb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Draytek Vigor 2860
      Thanks

Cool Re: Modem Routers which will connect direct to Sky Fibre.

Fantastic - thanks!

There is also another alternative method of providing the DHCP options which I have just tried and works in my 2860np router. In the MPoA settings tab, in Router Name you can specify the first part of the Option 60 Vendor Class Identifier, and in Domain Name you can specify the second part of Option 60 Vendor Class Identifier (this was copied from the wireshark trace from my old Sky router). In my case (coming from a FAST router) I have "7.16a4N_UNI" as the Router Name, and "PCBAFAST2504Nv1.0" as Domain Name (not including the speech marks). There is no need then to specify the options in the LAN settings.

I had actually initially setup as a WAN2 connection to my BT Openreach modem, and these settings worked in the Static or Dynamic IP tab also, but then saw this post which enables me to remove the BT modem as well - happy with that. What a great forum.
      Last edited by Saturday; 08-03-14 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Removed full page quote of preceeding post

Stinney is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: TG589vn v3
      Thanks

Technicolor TG589vn v3:

Any questions please post in this thread:
      Technicolor TG589vn v3 With Sky Fibre Broadband.

The hardest part about this will be getting your PPP username and password:
      The procedure is already well documented:
      http://routerconfig.me/legacy/sky/Ob...outer%20v2.pdf

Forget about configuring the WAN config using the GUI. Its impossible.
      All this configuration is done with the Telnet CLI. You should be able to do it on any firmware that comes with the TG589vn v3.
      Open a telnet CLI to the TG589vn v3 (using putty or your favourite terminal emulator).

Before you run this script make sure you change it to include your own PPP username and password.

>telnet 192.168.1.254
      Username: Administrator
      Password: <BLANK> <- as in by default, there is no password. If this is not the case, check with whoever gave you the router.

Clear the existing configuration:
      (Some commands might fail if the command isn't relevant to the running configuration.)

CLEAR OLD CONFIG:
      : ppp relay flush
      : ppp flush
      :eth flush
      :eth bridge ifdelete intf=vdsl2 <this command may fail. Don't worry if it does.

MAKE NEW CONFIG:
      :eth vlan add name=vlan_Internet vid=101 addrule=disabled
      :eth ifadd intf=eth_vdsl
      :eth ifconfig intf=eth_vdsl dest=efmif1 vlan=default
      :eth ifconfig intf=eth_vdsl wan=enabled priotag=disabled
      :eth ifattach intf=eth_vdsl
      :eth ifadd intf=eth_tag
      :eth ifconfig intf=eth_tag dest=eth_vdsl vlan=vlan_Internet
      :eth ifconfig intf=eth_tag wan=enabled priotag=disabled
      :eth ifattach intf=eth_tag
      :ip ifadd intf=Internet dest=eth_tag
      :ip ifconfig intf=Internet mtu=1500 group=wan linksensing=enabled ipv6 disabled
      :ip ifattach intf=Internet
      :dhcp client debug traceconfig state=disabled
      :dhcp client ifadd intf=Internet
      :dhcp client ifconfig intf=Internet metric=5 dnsmetric=5 broadcast=enabled serverroute=disabled followlabel=disabled
      :dhcp client rqoptions add intf=Internet option=subnet-mask
      :dhcp client rqoptions add intf=Internet option=dhcp-lease-time
      :dhcp client rqoptions add intf=Internet option=dhcp-renewal-time
      :dhcp client rqoptions add intf=Internet option=dhcp-rebinding-time
      :dhcp client rqoptions add intf=Internet option=classless-static-routes
      :dhcp client rqoptions add intf=Internet option=default-routers
      :dhcp client rqoptions add intf=Internet option=classfull-static-routes
      :dhcp client rqoptions add intf=Internet option=domain-name-servers
      :dhcp client txoptions add intf=Internet option=dhcp-client-identifier value=(ascii)PPPusername|PPPpassword
      :dhcp client ifattach intf=Internet
      :nat ifconfig intf=Internet translation=enabled

MAKE LED'S FUNCTION CORRECTLY:
      :system config WANMode=VDSL
      :system config defaultconnection=Internet

SAVE THE CONFIGURATION:
      :saveall

REBOOT THE DEVICE:
      Sometimes when configuring VLANs on the Technicolor devices, you need to reboot before the configuration takes effect.
      :system reboot

And thats it!
      You now have a 1 box solution for sky fibre broadband. I find that the sync rate of the TG589vn v3 is a little better than the Huawei BT OR box.

You can cut and paste these commands into a notepad and run them all in one go and you can be up and running in about 30 seconds.
      I'm fairly certain this will work on any Technicolor VDSL device.

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT Hub 6 (BT Smart HUB)
      Thanks

Go to the link in my sig for a tutorial on how to setup the ASUS DSL-N66U

Other people have attempted it and failed but I have succeeded

Link also here: [Guide] How to connect DSL-N66U to Sky Fibre

EDIT: Kind of works (My sync speed dropped)
      Last edited by SOF006; 15-04-14 at 09:03 PM.

AndrewCribb1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 017044
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Sky fibre pro - zyxel vmg1312-b10a

What about a zyxel router??

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky fibre pro - zyxel vmg1312-b10a

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCribb1978 View Post
      What about a zyxel router??
      As it says in the first post, this thread is for proven working routers, not questions, if yours is not included, chances are no one has succeeded with it. If you succeed in connecting it, please come back and add it to the list.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

sitecom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sky Hub SR102/Asus RT-N66U
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SOF006 View Post
      Go to the link in my sig for a tutorial on how to setup the ASUS DSL-N66U

Other people have attempted it and failed but I have succeeded

Link also here: [Guide] How to connect DSL-N66U to Sky Fibre

EDIT: Kind of works (My sync speed dropped)
      What speed you getting because mine has seemed to dropped by half when it was fine for three days

cityboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Draytek 2860
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azer View Post
      Following searches on the web and reading about other contributions'experiences (such as this, this, this and this), I purchased a Vigor 2860n and successfully set it up to directly connect to Sky Fibre. This is what I did and hope it will help users who want to achieve the same (I have already posted it on the DrayTek Forum but as per Isitme suggestion, I am including it on this forum too):

1) Upgrade to firmware 3.7.3.3 (if it is not already done by the manufacturer)

2) Get the username/password (macaddress@skydsl|password) for DHCP Option 61, using Wireshark and User Guide to obtain Sky username and password.

3) Get your Sky router serial number and associated data for DHCP Option 60. This data block is located immediately after the username/password block. Use the same method you did for extracting the username/password (step 2). It's possible (but I am not sure) to use 1.15h.2138.R|001|SR101|serial_number if your router is SR101 or 2.1m.3173.R|001|SR102|serial_number, if it is an SR102. The serial_number is written on your router.

4) Login to the 2860:

4.1) WAN >> General Setup >>

WAN1 Page>> Enable: Yes; Display Name: Vigor2860 (optional); DSL Mode: VDSL2 only; DSL Modem Cable: Default; VLAN Tag insertion Enable, Tag value: 101; OK

WAN >>Internet Access >> WAN1 Access Mode: MPoA / Static or Dynamic IP; click Details Page:

Select MPoA / Static or Dynamic IP Page:

Enable

Multi-PVC channel: Channel 2

Encapsulation: 1483 Bridged IP LLC

VPI: 0

VCI:101

MTU 1500

Select 'Obtain an IP address automatically'

Router Name: Vigor (you can put any valid string; but I don't think you can leave it as blank)

Domain Name: Sky (again, you can put any valid string but I don't think you can leave it as blank)

DHCP Client Identifier for some ISP: Enable; and put the username and password obtained in Step 2 above.

MAC Address: you can leave it as default or enter the MAC address used in username (spoofing MAC address).

Don't select "Specify an IP address"; the related fields will be populated once the connection to the ISP established.

The above processes are probably straightforward to many; but the tricky part is to configure the DHCP options, without which a connection to the ISP maybe made but no IP address will be allocated.

4.2) LAN >> General Setup >>

Click on the Advance button (in the middle of the page):

Data Type: ASCII

Option Number: 60

Data: Enter 1.15h.2138.R|001|SR101|serial_number or 2.1m.3173.R|001|SR102|serial_number or anything else extracted in Step 3, above.

Click Add

Option Number: 61

Data: Enter macaddress@skydsl|password extracted in Step 2.

Click Add

Click OK.

These DHCP options are part of the WAN; I am not sure why DrayTek have included them in the LAN section, which can easily be missed out of configuration.

The DHCP options can also be configured via telneting to the router; but I prefer this approach.

Reboot your router.

... And that should be it. If all goes well connection will be established about one minute after the reboot.

I ran speed tests on both routers; the results are very much the same.

Hope this helps.
      I tried all the above and they didn't work. It was missing a setting on my Draytek 2960

You have to also click in: Wan, General Setup, Click on WAN1 (SKY VDSL2 connection)
      Set "VLAN Tag insertion (VDSL2):" to enable
      and "Tag value:" to "101"
      Priority can stay "0" and Active Mode stay "Always On".

Also the newer firmware in the 2960 means you enter the DHCP 60, 61 options in Wan, Internet Access, Advanced, and not in the LAN settings any more.
      These settings are as above and both captured from from Sky router.

cmberry20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Worcester
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Asus DSL-AC68U

Confirmed fully working with Sky Fibre. Replaces the Sky Hub as well as the BT openzone modem.

Latest firmware is a must but setting up is extremely easy, just start the setup wizard, select Annex A, setup wireless, enter your country and isp, then just enter your username and password that was obtained from your Sky hub using wireshark. That's it, the router connects and the speeds are great.

Some people are reporting modem drop outs, however the lastest firmware may have fixed these issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast