Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Loss of connection to devices wired through SR101

This is a discussion on Loss of connection to devices wired through SR101 within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi, I have a problem with my router in that periodically I become unable to communicate with devices connected to ...

Nighthawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nuneaton
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Loss of connection to devices wired through SR101

Hi, I have a problem with my router in that periodically I become unable to communicate with devices connected to my router via the PC. I have a NAS drive and printer wired in to my router that work fine for days and then I become unable to connect to them via the PC although they can be connected to via mobile devices. If I reboot the router the problem clears showing that the router is casuing the issue. Any ideas? When the problem is occurring the pc just cannot see the devices even if I try to connect using the ip addresses. Is as if there is some kind of firewall block preventing me seeing the devices.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Loss of connection to devices wired through SR101

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
      If I reboot the router the problem clears showing that the router is casuing the issue.
      Doubt it. Sounds like a duplicate IP issue to me probably caused by mobile devices rejoining the network after a router reboot i.e. the router has lost track of the IP addresses it has previously given out through DHCP.

Turn off the router and every device including mobile devices, then power up the router followed by every other device one by one. Unless you have reserved or fixed IP addresses for your fixed devices (recommended) you'll likely have continuing problems as other devices get added and leave, you reboot the router etc as the DHCP can't cope with the changes.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have already reserved the addresses for my nas drive and printer 200 and 201
      using lan ip settings on the router as I thought this could be the issue. But the problem still occurred. Any other ideas I could try?

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have now assigned fixed ip addresses to every device. We will see how it performs now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I hope you have done this by reserving the addresses in the router. If you do it in the device you will have trouble connecting mobile devices, phones tablets, laptops, to any other network. It is OK with fixed devices like desktops and STBs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

After giving every device its own IP address this still occurs. I am rebooting the router every couple of days to maintain connection to attached devices. Any ideas?

help!

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

One point to note is that I never had this problem on any other sky router (i have had most models over the years). It only happens on the SR101.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have isolated this problem via another posted issue to using develo home plugs for wifi as well as the router wifi. If I connect via the develo home plug I can see other devices on the network as everything is in effect wired as the develo is connecting to the router ultimately via a wired connection. If I connect via the sky wifi then I can get to the internet but not see any devices wired to the router (nas, printer, sonos). This never happened on older sky routers. If I disable the router wifi then everything is fine however the idea of having the develo was to have 2 access points to give better coverage in the house. Any thoughts on this? I think it's a sky router firmware issue. Somehow the wired and non-wired portions lose sight of each other in the router, possibly an IP address confusion or dhcp problem. Perhaps once a device has connected via either wifi or wired it retains the info and gets confused when devices try and reconnect the other way round.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I may have a solution for this. After scanning online for similar issues I found a suggested fix. In the router settings WAN Setup mode change from auto to WANOE ONLY. This then gives a picture showing which port must be used for connecting to the Bt openreach box (the lower Ethernet port). It us reported that a firewall operates on all of the Ethernet ports. But if the WANOE only option is used then this only applies to the one port. I don't know if this is correct, but I could connect immediately to other devices after changing this setting. If I subsequently find that this hasn't worked I will re-post.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It us reported that a firewall operates on all of the Ethernet ports. But if the WANOE only option is used then this only applies to the one port. I don't know if this is correct.
      I don't think that is correct, maybe the wrong way round, the firewall is located between the modem and the switch, so that it will always operate on all ports except the one being used for the WAN. The only exception is if a device connected to any of the ports is placed in the DMZ.

We should point out that the WANOE (Wide Area Network over Ethernet) should be used with a Fibre connection only. It will kill an ADSL connection, where the equivalent setting is DSL only.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast