Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can sr101 be swapped?

This is a discussion on Can sr101 be swapped? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I have been tld that it could be swapped out for a dd-wrt router. I want to swap the router ...

mily316 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can sr101 be swapped?

I have been tld that it could be swapped out for a dd-wrt router. I want to swap the router out so i can get rid of the sticky ip and get a new one on every reconnect like on pppoa normal Sky ADSL. Can this be done with this wrt router apparently it can release the ip or something along those lines. specifically below.

Quote Originally Posted by hopester View Post
      Under a dd-wrt router you can release an ip address and then renew after a few minutes and it tends to grab a new ip. I would imagine changing the mac address on the router would request an new ip as well. No need to disconnect the BT modem as that will just cause DLM problems.

How reliable is the above, no idea. Someone else running dd-wrt could try it (its in the status - wan section)

Can someone with a dd-wrt router on fibre please test this for me and see if you can get a new ip address on reconnect and not have to unplug the router for hours. Would be much appreciated if anyone can confirm whether the above works or not. By releasing the ip or by changing the mac.

Are there any other ways to get pppoa working on a mer connection?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Can sr101 be swapped?

Are there any other ways to get pppoa working on a mer connection?
      No, if you are on Fibre there is no other option. On ADSL many lines will work with either mode.

You realise that anyone carrying out your request is liable to have their speed reduced by DLM, which would probably happen to you if you were to do this on a regular basis.

PS. Maybe you could update your profile if you are on fibre?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No, if you are on Fibre there is no other option. On ADSL many lines will work with either mode.

You realise that anyone carrying out your request is liable to have their speed reduced by DLM, which would probably happen to you if you were to do this on a regular basis.

PS. Maybe you could update your profile if you are on fibre?
      Thought thats only if you do it loads of times. It also wouldnt have to be rebooted just disconnected and reconnected the router would still be synced so shouldnt be a problem with dlm.

Thanks

It also wouldnt have to be rebooted just disconnected and reconnected
      The way I understand it, disconnecting and reconnecting would involve resyncing, otherwise how are you going to get a new IP?

As for resyncing a load of times, you are the one who said you wanted to do that. Although you have edited your posts for some reason, this may serve to remind you of what you said.

There has to be a better way ;p. What about changing the mac address. On sky adsl it was as simple and disconnect/reconnect on the dsl status screen. I'll be going back there by the looks of it. I need to be able to change the ip often once an hour no way near enough more like once every 10 minutes and then sometimes every 2-3 minutes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Disconnecting and reconnecting doesnt re-synch. Can the router be changed to a router that can release the ip?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Sky's system currently requires the router to resync with their servers about once an hour. This is totally irrespective of the router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mily316 View Post
      Disconnecting and reconnecting doesnt re-synch. Can the router be changed to a router that can release the ip?
      If you reboot, switch off the power or pull the internet plug it will resync. It may not give you a new address, but when it reconnects to the internet, it has resynced.

It is the Sky server which gives out the IP address, I doubt if changing the router would make any difference. If you really need to change your IP address every few minutes then your only hope is to go to another ISP who has a large address pool and a small number of users. That may not be too easy to find.

TomD

Useful Utilites