Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Adding 2nd Sky Router as Access Point/ Extender - NO CABLES PLEASE!!!

This is a discussion on Adding 2nd Sky Router as Access Point/ Extender - NO CABLES PLEASE!!! within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all and hope you can help me. I'm fairly new to this forum (which is great btw) and apologise ...

thedonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Adding 2nd Sky Router as Access Point/ Extender - NO CABLES PLEASE!!!

Hi all and hope you can help me.

I'm fairly new to this forum (which is great btw) and apologise in advance if this has been discussed in any other thread.

I want to add a 2nd Sky router to the existing network to another room in the house (all on ground floor). Is it possible to set this 2nd router up as an Access Point or Extender without using an ethernet cable or Plugs and purely using WiFi??

I'm sure I done something like this many moons ago with 2 off my old TalkTalk routers and changed the IP address of one of them and the "slave" piggybacked off the "master"????

I've also had a look at the very good tutorial from scubbie but this involves the 2nd router being attached with a cable which I don't want.

Any of you out there who could point me in the right direction would be gratefully appreciated and make my life that little bit easier!

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Adding 2nd Sky Router as Access Point/ Extender - NO CABLES PLEASE!!!

The only Sky router which will support what you are asking for is the Netgear DG834GT. Even then you would be limited to using WEP or not WiFi security.

Could you use a pair of HomePlugs to connect the two routers together? These would effectively replace a long Ethernet cable.

HomePlugs are available for around £35. If you are short of power sockets, consider a pair which have pass-through sockets. These will be a little more though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Adding 2nd Sky Router as Access Point/ Extender - NO CABLES PLEASE!!!

If you're feeling flush, consider one of these:

dLAN® 200 AV Wireless N ... Product description ... devolo AG

Because my router has to be located in a bit of an internal "not-spot", it doesn't give a good signal upstairs especially at the back of the house. So I've turned off the router's wireless G access point and located one of these centrally upstairs. Now got decent wireless N coverage all over the house. Not the cheapest solution but very good kit.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)