Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extending your Home Network

This is a discussion on Extending your Home Network within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hello folks, With the increasing popularity of the Internet, many more people are purchasing devices which can benefit from being ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Extending your Home Network

Hello folks,

With the increasing popularity of the Internet, many more people are purchasing devices which can benefit from being connected to the Internet.

It is very rare that all these devices will be in one room and that this room will be the best location for you to place your Sky router.

People are demanding that they should be able to get the best possible speed from their broadband connection and that they can access this connection anywhere in their home.

With this all in mind, I have composed the attached document. I hope that you will find it useful as a way of sign posting what is possible in a reasonably clear manner.

Many thanks to all those who have helped to check it through and for the useful comments. Also thank you for everyone whose comments and suggestions through the forum have been incorporated in various parts within the document.

In this document I have mentioned various products. For those who have a vested interest in networking products, please note that these products have been used for illustrative purposes only. I am sure your products will be able to perform just as well, perhaps even perform better.

It is also reasonable to assume that not only will prices continue to change, but that the specifications and functionality of products too will change, hopefully for the better. It is for these reasons that I have refrained from mentioning specific model numbers and prices too often in the document.

If members of the forum wish to find the most recent product to help perform a specific task or want to find out how well something works, then please feel free to ask on the forum.
      Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

BigGoff (05-04-12),Matchu (13-06-12),sebbydog (13-11-11),Steele11 (15-04-12),valda (15-01-12)

3. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Extending your Home Network

In case the above guide is a little too heavy, thinkbroadband has produced a much shorter guide:

thinkbroadband :: New Home Networking Guide released
      Home networking for a non-techie can be a daunting task at the best of times. Trying to share your broadband connection at home across all your devices can be a challenging task without help or guidance. We have written a simple guide on how to set up your home network, and what options you have in terms of connecting your equipment.
      If you run a wireless network, it's important that you enable WPA/WPA2 encryption so we've included advise on this, so that you can have peace of mind that no one is eavesdropping when sharing content over your wireless network.

Check out the home networking guide, and happy networking!
      thinkbroadband :: Home Networking Guide

I did notice a small error though. It talks about the theoretical maximum speed for WiFi n being limited to 150mbps. Sky's Sagem 2504N supports 144mbps on a single channel. Many other routers work at up to 300mbps. There are some routers which will run at up to 450mbps.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I did notice a small error though. It talks about the theoretical maximum speed for WiFi n being limited to 150mbps. Sky's Sagem 2504N supports 144mbps on a single channel. Many other routers work at up to 300mbps. There are some routers which will run at up to 450mbps.
      They should have made it a bit clearer that the maximum rate of wireless N is 150mbps on a single channel. When both the router and adapter a capable of channel bonding, the rate rises substantially.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

Might have been worth mentioning that homeplugs for example 200mbit ones
      only in reality produce around 40-44mbit of real world bandwidth

I have done extensive testing an a set that i beta tested for netgear
      I dont use homeplug at all usually and was quite supprised on the real world bandwidth they provide

I was expecting around 80-90mbit throughput

This was with a 185mbit sync with them parked in a double plug socket next to each other

Thanks

Using WiFi n on a single channel, the limit is 144mb/s.

As for HomePlugs, it does depend on the quality of your wiring. I recall someone posting about how a previous owner have added spur-sockets and that they gave a terrible performance, when compared to using other sockets.

I haven't got any to test with anymore (gave them to others who needed them) but I don't recall the PowerLine adapters I used giving me a throughput as low as 40mbps. I'm pretty sure they gave me a figure closer to 80mbps.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Using WiFi n on a single channel, the limit is 144mb/s.
      It depends what source you use. Many sources, quote the theoretical maximum as 150mb/s, such as this one -
      All Wireless N Routers are not Created Equally - TopTenREVIEWS

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Robinonaf is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Internet speed depends upon your Internet connection and your modem/ Wifi router. So what are the other ways to increase to the download speed?

Thanks

There are many things which can improve your connection. Perhaps if you were a resident of the UK we could help you. Since you seem to be posting from multiple countries, I can only assume that you are a little lost.

blingzing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Please help:

I have read through the skyuser forums and have not being able to sort out my problem:
      - I have the sky hub SR router and its placement in my flat is such that the reception is not good everywhere
      - I purchased a TP-link gigabit switch
      - I then did the following, I plugged the BT openreach modem box into the switch
      - I moved the sky hub router to the middle of the flat to create an even wireless reception
      - I linked the sky hub to the switch with a 30m cat 6 ethernet cable
      - Now the sky hub has internet access and the wireless reception is excellent all over the flat
      - The problem arises in that anything connected to the switch now, via ethernet cables, does not seem to get an internet connection

Any help in resolving this would be very much appreciated

Thanks

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: vodafone supafast 2
      Router: vodafone isp router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

I am going to get a power line solution for my gaming room my PC ps3/ps4 lol and home cinema and TV some will be wifi and the rest power line. my mother has one where it has 3 ethernets off one block so I'll choose the important ones for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast