Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Extending your Home Network

This is a discussion on Extending your Home Network within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hello blingzing, I suspect that the WAN Port on the Sky Hub has become a dedicated Ethernet WAN port and ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Extending your Home Network

Hello blingzing,

I suspect that the WAN Port on the Sky Hub has become a dedicated Ethernet WAN port and will only be used for Internet traffic. What I would suggest is to confirm this first by connecting the Sky Hub directly to the BTO Modem and the switch to the Sky Hub.

If this works, then a simple solution would be to run a 2nd 30m Cat 5e Ethernet cable from the BTO Modem to the Sky Hub and have the Switch on the 2nd cable.

For the record, a Cat 5e cable will support speeds upto 1Gbit. Cat 6 Ethernet cable supports speeds up to 10Gbit, something which isn't currently in popular use in the home. As both cables are running next to each other, you may wish to use shielded Cat 5e cable.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      I am going to get a power line solution for my gaming room my PC ps3/ps4 lol and home cinema and TV some will be wifi and the rest power line. my mother has one where it has 3 ethernets off one block so I'll choose the important ones for that.
      There are advantages to using both the HomePlug and long Ethernet cable solution. Personally I like the cable option as I can hammer my connection at upto the full 1Gbit. However there are times when people cannot fit a long cable and the HomePlug/PowerLine adaptor option is a good sensible choice.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What is happening is that anything you plug into the switch is being sent straight to the internet, instead of passing through the router first. You will have to plug the router into the modem first and then plug the switch into the router. Anything plugged into the switch will then have internet access.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

blingzing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Hello blingzing,

I suspect that the WAN Port on the Sky Hub has become a dedicated Ethernet WAN port and will only be used for Internet traffic. What I would suggest is to confirm this first by connecting the Sky Hub directly to the BTO Modem and the switch to the Sky Hub.

If this works, then a simple solution would be to run a 2nd 30m Cat 5e Ethernet cable from the BTO Modem to the Sky Hub and have the Switch on the 2nd cable.

For the record, a Cat 5e cable will support speeds upto 1Gbit. Cat 6 Ethernet cable supports speeds up to 10Gbit, something which isn't currently in popular use in the home. As both cables are running next to each other, you may wish to use shielded Cat 5e cable.
      Hi Scubbie

Thanks for the feedback - you were correct, I have now asked sky to install another switch box in the middle of my house, failing which I shall have to run another 30m cable

Thanks

Thanks

No problem. You actually answered one thing which I had been wondering myself about a potential change to my own setup when I get Fibre.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12