Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Using the DLink DIR613.

This is a discussion on Using the DLink DIR613. within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by gfb Hi, I've just tried this method to try to get my DIR655 working with my SR101 ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Using the DLink DIR613.

Quote Originally Posted by gfb View Post
      Hi, I've just tried this method to try to get my DIR655 working with my SR101 (thread here: Wanting to use a DIR-655 on Sky ADSL but have got problems )

It seems to be good so far but I can still access the SR101 configuration pages via 192.168.0.1 if I'm connected by ethernet cable or wireless to the DIR655. Is this correct?

Also should DHCP server remain enabled on the SR101?

Thank you
      My current setup is:

BTO Modem -> SR101 -> WNDR3800

So that I can plug in something directly to the SR101 (backup) I have left the DHCP server enabled on the SR101. 99.99% of the time I only connect via the WNDR3800 though. Although it is recommended to disable the DHCP server, there is no harm if you leave it on.

Quote Originally Posted by stereojack View Post
      What Sky’s mantra? “Believe in Better”. Well I do believe in better, it’s a shame that Sky with their shoddy sub-standard routers, don’t. I’ve had nothing but problems with trying to improve the performance of my SR101 router, I’m lucky if I get 20Mbs from the wifi (on a up to 40Mbs fibre service). Then there’s the limitations of the settings, single choice of dynamic DNS, forcing me to take a dyndns.org account, unable to enter DNS (i.e. smart DNS for US Netflix, for media players that don’t have DNS settings, WDTV Live), not to mention the ridiculously slow 10/100BaseT Ethernet ports...
      Could I suggest that you start a new thread on this topic please? It would be more useful to keep all those questions in a separate thread.

Also please drop the swear words. This is a public forum and people of a variety of backgrounds and ages do visit the forum.

The regular members are well aware that that Sky routers don't offer top of the range functionality.

As for DynDNS currently being the only supported service, there is some work behind the scenes currently taking place at Sky. However there is nothing stopping you from setting up an account with an alternative service and having their respective app run on a desktop.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      stereojack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The regular members are well aware that that Sky routers don't offer top of the range functionality.
      I'm sure they do & also the basic functionality that all routers have as well, which was what I mentioned, but I'll take it on board to never mention again what other regular members are aware of.

As for DynDNS currently being the only supported service, there is some work behind the scenes currently taking place at Sky. However there is nothing stopping you from setting up an account with an alternative service and having their respective app run on a desktop.
      I'm quite aware of such apps, but as like most, I don't want to run a computer 24/7, I want to be able to check my IP cameras on my phone, at any given time.

Also please drop the swear words. This is a public forum and people of a variety of backgrounds and ages do visit the forum.
      The word in question is a word that is pre-watershed on British television, but hey, I didn't realise that under 6's were getting in here, let alone capable of understanding the subject matter, but rest assured, I'll from now on use the vocabulary of someone in a kinder-garden nursery.

Could I suggest that you start a new thread on this topic please? It would be more useful to keep all those questions in a separate thread.
      Since the crux of my questions was how adaptable was the “Setting up Dlink DIR 613.pdf” (which was posted by the OP of this very thread) with a different model modem (Dlink DIR 880L), I thought was at least applicable to this thread & at least that question would receive an answer. On reading through this thread I've noticed others have been given such information, but that's ok, thanks for the help, or lack of it, I'll find what I need to know elsewhere, failing that, just gamble & buy a Dlink DIR 880L.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

The word in question is a word that is pre-watershed on British television, but hey, I didn't realise that under 6's were getting in here, let alone capable of understanding the subject matter, but rest assured, I'll from now on use the vocabulary of someone in a kinder-garden nursery.
      Rules of our forum

• Please do not use offending language / swear, we have a swear filter in place, any attempts to bypass this would be frowned upon. Quite simply ask yourself, would you want your children to read certain words that you may have used. If the answer is no please don't use that particular word, or try to circumvent the swear filter, we reserve the right to substitute certain swear words / delete your post or infract you against further swearing. Infractions vary from 0 to 10 points, once you reach 10 points you will receive an automatic ban from our forums. An admin would only reverse this decision if it was cut and dry that the moderator / admin made the wrong decision. If you have breached any of the points in this paragraph, it is pointless appealing to lift your ban - it won't happen!
      I didn't write the rules. I too have to follow them.

Since the crux of my questions was how adaptable was the “Setting up Dlink DIR 613.pdf” (which was posted by the OP of this very thread) with a different model modem (Dlink DIR 880L), I thought was at least applicable to this thread & at least that question would receive an answer. On reading through this thread I've noticed others have been given such information, but that's ok, thanks for the help, or lack of it, I'll find what I need to know elsewhere, failing that, just gamble & buy a Dlink DIR 880L.
      In simplistic terms, the guide will allow any router (i.e. a Sky ADSL/VDSL router) to pass control over to a Cable router that is connected via the WAN Ethernet port.

The custom firmwares (i.e. OpenWRT, DD-WRT & Tomato) will allow other dynamic DNS providers to be used. Check their sites for details as I don't have a full list of supported functions to hand. Also you may prefer one to another.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

stereojack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Rules of our forum

I didn't write the rules. I too have to follow them.

In simplistic terms, the guide will allow any router (i.e. a Sky ADSL/VDSL router) to pass control over to a Cable router that is connected via the WAN Ethernet port.

The custom firmwares (i.e. OpenWRT, DD-WRT & Tomato) will allow other dynamic DNS providers to be used. Check their sites for details as I don't have a full list of supported functions to hand. Also you may prefer one to another.
      Cheers for the info, I'm going to have a good stab with my DIR 655 first, to see what limitations there may be. As for the dynamic DNS, I had picked up a 5 year account for dyndns.org for about £50, but I still may have a look at the custom firmware.

As for the censorship rules, I would suggest the word I used be added to any self censorship function that's active, as it was not picked up in post preview. As for what can & can't be said, it seems overkill to me, I mean is the word "hell" too far (if it's a necessity due to rules, please delete), but I guess rules are rules, regardless of how over the top they may be.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It seems to be good so far but I can still access the SR101 configuration pages via 192.168.0.1 if I'm connected by ethernet cable or wireless to the DIR655. Is this correct?
      That is correct as it is the gateway, but you would not be abe to connect to any device connected to it. You don't need to disable the DHCP on the Sky router, you can use it as a separate network, maybe for guests, or if you are happy with one network, just disable it. You can aslo disable the wireless too if you feel it is interfering.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

pplcooper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There have been quite a few requests for help with setting up this router over the past few week, so I have written a PDF showing exactly how to do it. This is written specifically for the DIR 635 but the principles should apply to any Cable/Standard router.

NB - If you are using an ADSL router this will not work so follow the instructions in the PDF in this thread - How to connect two Routers together

Would this work with the DIR850L and the sagem crap router im lost trying to get it working

Thanks

There is no reason why it should not work, it should do with any router with a WAN port. You could also try this method - How to connect two Routers together just remember with this method you should connect to an ethernet port on the Dlink, not the WAN port. This would at least give you the advantage of 3 gigabit ports and a very superior wireless connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jamesking is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Reigate
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

I have managed to set this up with an EE Brightbox 2.

I wish to use Dynamic DNS service with No IP, since I don't want to pay for DynDNS. Brightbox supports this, but at present it's returning it's internal IP - ie, 192.168.0.254.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get it to report the internet IP address, either by changing settings on the sky or EE routers?

Thanks!

James

Thanks

This is one of the major failings of this method. All you can do is register No-IP on your PC and use the dynamic update client. I use this on my set up and it works well.
      Dynamic DNS Update Client (DUC) for Windows - No-IP

TomD

Useful Utilites

jamesking is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Reigate
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This is one of the major failings of this method. All you can do is register No-IP on your PC and use the dynamic update client. I use this on my set up and it works well.
      Dynamic DNS Update Client (DUC) for Windows - No-IP
      Thanks you for the response. It's a shame that Sky aren't a bit more generous with their Dynamic DNS options, but I hear from these forums that it may be coming in future.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast