Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Using the DLink DIR613.

This is a discussion on Using the DLink DIR613. within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Thanks for this tutorial. I can only get PPPoA adsl and was thinking of doing something similar to take advantage ...

bilbonvidia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01624
      Broadband ISP: SureCW
      Router: hg612 + n66u
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Using the DLink DIR613.

Thanks for this tutorial. I can only get PPPoA adsl and was thinking of doing something similar to take advantage of the better non adsl routers available. I was wondering though, some of the routers I am looking at claim they can handle so many connections due to high processing power great for torrents etc, if I then stick something like a netgear dg series router in front of this and set the new router to the dmz of the lesser router does this then render this extra power useless eg cause a connection bottle neck?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I don't feel qualified to speak definitely on this, but I doubt if conecting in this way would reduce the potential of the other router. What you may want to consider, if you have a Netgear DG, is setting it to Modem only mode, this should guarantee you are getting the full potential out of your second router. I don't know if Modem only is available with the standard Netgear firmware, but it definitely is with DGTeam firmware. This is the way I would go if I were you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bilbonvidia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01624
      Broadband ISP: SureCW
      Router: hg612 + n66u
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply, but i have tried this before and unfortunately it only works for ppoe connection.

I think the router in front is still nating even though the second router is in the dmz hence bottleneck though i am not sure either.

18days is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n & dd-wrt
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

[QUOTE=Isitme;311416]There have been quite a few requests for help with setting up this router over the past few week, so I have written a PDF showing exactly how to do it. This is written specifically for the DIR 635 but the principles should apply to any Cable/Standard router.

Hi Isitme & everyone else who has helped on this thread.

I have set up my sky router exactly as shown in the pdf and i have a linksys cable router connected which is using dd-wrt.

I do have one problem though. I can access my dd-wrt router from an external network or using my phones 3g network fine using the assigned wan ip address.

However the problems start when i attempt to log in with ddns address. I am using dyndns.org and it updates successfully, but it tells me the current ip address is 192.168.0.254. As you are aware, this is the dmz ip address on the sky router.

Can anyone please point me in the correct direction so that my ddns updates with the current wan ip address.

I hope this makes sense.

edit - fixed
      I set the option "Do not use external ip check" to No and it works correctly.
      Last edited by 18days; 19-05-13 at 07:54 AM.

cuke2u is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SkyQ hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ Silver
      Thanks

[QUOTE=18days;413477]
      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There have been quite a few requests for help with setting up this router over the past few week, so I have written a PDF showing exactly how to do it. This is written specifically for the DIR 635 but the principles should apply to any Cable/Standard router.

Hi Isitme & everyone else who has helped on this thread.

I have set up my sky router exactly as shown in the pdf and i have a linksys cable router connected which is using dd-wrt.

I do have one problem though. I can access my dd-wrt router from an external network or using my phones 3g network fine using the assigned wan ip address.

However the problems start when i attempt to log in with ddns address. I am using dyndns.org and it updates successfully, but it tells me the current ip address is 192.168.0.254. As you are aware, this is the dmz ip address on the sky router.

Can anyone please point me in the correct direction so that my ddns updates with the current wan ip address.

I hope this makes sense.

edit - fixed
      I set the option "Do not use external ip check" to No and it works correctly.
      Hi, I used this to setup my DGND3700 to the Sky hub and it worked perfectly first time so I owe you a bunch of thanks.
      Well done!!!

RobinUsesSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020 8230
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyA View Post
      Just out of interest, does this effectively turn your sky router into a modem? Just asking as I've had problems with port forwarding on it (For XBox Live) I have a Netgear NR1000 which I plan to use for this purpose. Thanks again, will try what you described later as it could change my life! lol
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Yes.

By following Tom's guide, all traffic from the Internet is passed directly through the Sky router whose sole purpose becomes defined as connecting to the Sky servers.
      Sorry that's simply not true. If the Sky box was running as just a modem, the 3rd party router would receive a proper IP on it's WAN interface by DHCP from Sky. There is NO way to turn the Sky ADSL routers into modems and turn off the router functionality. (caveat - I'm only speaking about Sky f/w as I haven't tested others).

With my Sky router I had a VOIP server setup in DMZ, but for some reason the inbound RTP packets often wouldn't get to my server until I rebooted the router then it would work for a few calls until it stopped again.

The technique in the pdf may work in some situations but is really a horrible bodge. If you want to do this, get a modem like Draytek 110/120 that can do PPPoA to PPPoE bridging, or get a router that is actually capable of bring put into modem mode.

Obviously doing this would be definitely an unsupported/unauthorised configuration as far as Sky are concerned, but this is the only proper way to set up a 3rd party router with Sky (unless you wish to use an old router as an AP in which case just disable DHCP).

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

In that case my connection must be completely *broken* as this is what I am currently using:

BTO Modem -> Sky Hub SR101 -> Netgear WNDR3800

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

RobinUsesSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020 8230
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry I didn't realise the DIR613 was supplied to fibre customer's.

I haven't played with these yet so maybe I shouldn't comment.

Apologies for any offence.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobinUsesSky View Post
      Sorry I didn't realise the DIR613 was supplied to fibre customer's.

I haven't played with these yet so maybe I shouldn't comment.

Apologies for any offence.
      No problem, but the D-Link DIR613 isn't supplied by Sky at all.

This thread was created some time back to address the desire of many people who were wanting to connect an alternative router, in this case a Cable router, to their Sky Broadband. The solution also happens to work perfectly well with Sky Fibre connections.

In some cases it is actually possible to replace the Sky Hub SR101 with a suitable cable router with it's own firmware or a custom firmware such as DD-WRT, OpenWRT or Tomato. There are guides on this forum for each of these custom options. This is a better solution for Fibre customers who wish avoid using the Sky Hub SR101 as it removes one item from the setup, reducing the power consumption.

There are also some assocuated issues with loop-back. This doesn't always work. However when away I can happily access my NAS or IP Cameras. I can also stream content using Skifta.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

CBG
      CBG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01522 - Lincoln - (SLBWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Virgin Media
      Thanks

Hi,

I am using this setup, but using a Linksys router.
      I can get to the Sky Hub on 192.168.0.1 but it will not login, say Authentication failure, anyway of getting this working?

Internet works through, it just can't talk to the Sky Hub through the linksys router.
      Regards,
      CBG (Garry)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast