Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast
    Like Tree27Likes

How to connect two Routers together

This is a discussion on How to connect two Routers together within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi folks, The following guide is to help those who wish to extend their networks. ... Important Note: Members have ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Arrow How to connect two Routers together

Hi folks,

The following guide is to help those who wish to extend their networks.

Important Note: Members have reported that the Sagem 2504N needs to be connected to the Internet in order to retain any changes.

Edit: Netgear has a useful Knowledge page which uses the same principle as this document: http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
      Attached Files Attached Files
      Last edited by Scubbie; 23-05-12 at 10:37 AM.
      NewsreadeR, Chaos66, itype and 3 others like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

bash1987 (03-02-12),Chaos66 (02-05-13),jpdsam (26-01-15),Max_UK (02-07-12),norfykev (14-05-12),placcychicken (09-10-13),RADZ1973 (08-03-13),rob897 (12-05-11),the_knack (17-06-14),web_wizard (29-04-12)

3. Advertisement
      emmikins is offline Guest
      Exchange: 01484
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: How to connect two Routers together

thanks ms scubbie very helpfull

Gazdok is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wigston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I am new to Sky BB but not new to router business.
      I want to connect another router - a Netgear DGN2000 N router - as a repeater, i.e. via wifi to the SKY router DG934G. I do NOT AT ALL want a 25 meter wire trailing through the house for this.
      I can install everything in the DGN2000.

Now even though the DG934G is fairly modern, SKY left the setup menu a bit basic.

There is no WDA facility to set up and install the MAC address of the DNG2000 for a point-to-point service.

Can this be done without software upgrade to NON-Sky software?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

No. If you can't use an ethernet cable you should consider homeplugs.
      Homeplug | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Here are some links to other guides that may be of help to anyone linking ADSL routers & cable router to the Sky Router:

Using the DLink DIR613.

Piggybacking a Home Hub.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: How to connect two Routers together

In a recent PM I was asked what the cheapest way would be to connect the Sky+ HD STB to your router, using minimal wiring and at the lowest cost. The document in post #1 of this thread only describes one method but doesn't discuss the costs.

The Sky router should always be plugged into the Master Socket in your home. Using this document, you can then have a second set of ports available anywhere else in your home.

Perhaps if I explain the available options and the way things are changing, you will have a clearer idea of what is available to you and what you may wish to do.

The Sky+ HD STB doesn't have built-in WiFi abilities, so you need to use something that will plug in to the STB.

The USB ports have not been activated by Sky, but if they were you would need specific drivers compatible with the STB to use any WiFi dongles. Samsung, for example, make a specific one for their TVs & Home Theatre Systems, with the drivers built in to the Samsung TV & HTS.

Sky hasn't taken this approach so this leaves the LAN port that can be used.

The LAN port will allow you to plug a Ethernet cable to the STB, with the other end connected to the Router or another device which in turn connects to the router.

If the router is a little distance from the Sky STB, the somehow you will need to fill the gap.

You could do this by purchasing a long Ethernet cable (Cat 5 will be sufficient for a 100Mb LAN, which the Sky+ HD STB & Sky routers are). These cables used to average £1 per metre, but you can get 15m & 20m cables for less than that average on-line now.

A WiFi Media Bridge (whether Sky's or a 3rd party) uses a short cable to plug into the LAN port. This provides a 'network' connection to the STB. The WiFi Media Bridge then in turn handles all the connections to any router of your choice using the WiFi abilities.

Sky sell their version for around £60. You will pay more if you wish for a Sky engineer to install one for you.

Price-wise you can get 3rd party WiFi Media Bridges from £20.99. They normally require USB power, but this can be dealt with by purchasing an extension lead with built-in USB power points. Maplin used to sell such a device, but it appears not to be available at the moment. It cost around £5-£6.

A pair of HomePlugs would allow you to plug one beside the router and the other beside the Sky STB. Each HomePlug has its own short Ethernet cable and would plug into a LAN port. They use your electrical wiring to complete the network connection.

HomePlugs cost from around £35 up to around £120. Many PowerLine Adapters are available on eBay as BT Vision owners sell them off. I advise to check that you don't get a model that was recalled if you go down this route.

BT Vision Powerline Adapter notice

With the gradual introduction of more devices that can connect to a Home Network, such as TVs, Home Theatre Systems and Satellite STBs, Games Machines (Wii, PS3 & Xbox) it may be necessary to consider installing multiple access points near your TV for a network. This is where my document primarily comes in useful as not everyone has their router next to the TV.

The document makes use of the fact that many Sky Broadband Subscribers may have an old router lying around their home gathering dust. The spare router can then be put to use anywhere around your home.

If the router has WiFi abilities, then this can also be put to use and provide you the ability to extend your WiFi coverage around your home. At the time of writing, most Sky Routers are only rated to WiFi g. The latest routers (Sagem 2304n) have a better signal strength than WiFi g, but still do not deliver the 300mbps that many others can provide.

Currently many TVs, the Xbox & PS3 support DLNA. Sky hinted recently that this may well be supported in the future on the Sky HD & Sky+ HD STBs. At this time we do not have further information on how it will be implemented.

What is DLNA? Well in essence it allows you to stream music & video content from one device to another over you home network. WiFi g is not the best method to support this, especially with HD videos.

For this reason I would encourage people to think ahead and avoid too many WiFi g connections, in favour of WiFi n or cabling. It might be alright if your Laptop was streaming video content to your TV on a strong WiFi g connection, but I will guess that if this becomes two WiFi g connections, then quality of the video will suffer.

Woodhill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Scubbie,

I have my current sky broadband setup working fine. I am using the Sagemcom router and I can get both wireless connections and wired connections.

I need 6 wired connections for my X-box, internet radio, etc.

I also have a spare Sky D-Link router. Can I piggy back this on to the Sagemcom using the method you described to get a total of 7 wired connections? From what I can make out from the attached file, I do not have to change anything in my currently working setup (ie if all fails I will be no worse off)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you follow the instructions carefully, you will not have a problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Woodhill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you follow the instructions carefully, you will not have a problem.
      Will the second router (D-link) also broadcast a wireless signal? If so, will this interfere with the original (Sagemcom) signal?

Many thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodhill View Post
      Will the second router (D-link) also broadcast a wireless signal? If so, will this interfere with the original (Sagemcom) signal?
      Each router will broadcast it's own WiFi if it is enabled in that router.

By giving each router it's own address on your network, you are still very able to access the settings for that router and adjust things as required.

Theoretically there is nothing stopping you from having a dozen WiFi routers connected in this manner. This would be more useful in a large environment though.

At the moment in my home I have the Sky router connected to the ADSL line, a 2nd Edimax router (non-WiFi) and a Switch. My main Netgear DGN2000 has failed on the WiFi. Previously that was the one connected to the ADSL line and the Sky & Edimax routers were connected to it. I also have a standard 10/100 5-Port Switch and a pair of HomeHubs in use.

Please give the document a try and let us know how you get on.

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 15-07-14, 01:23 PM
    2. 08-07-14, 09:48 PM
    3. 14-12-13, 05:18 PM
    4. 05-12-13, 07:57 PM
    5. 27-10-13, 11:42 PM
    6. 20-10-13, 08:27 PM
    7. 01-10-13, 06:00 PM
    8. 29-08-13, 05:17 PM
    9. 25-05-13, 10:48 AM