Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445
    Like Tree27Likes

How to connect two Routers together

This is a discussion on How to connect two Routers together within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer What if I don't identify as a girl it a boy, what if I identify as ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: How to connect two Routers together

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post
      What if I don't identify as a girl it a boy, what if I identify as an Apache helecopter? What then hey? So discriminatory!
      In this case, we would have to call in air traffic control, have you grounded. Then tell the ground crew to remove all the fuel and oils from you, disassemble your engines and remove all your controls. The remaining hulk can then be sunk in a quarry of my choice where thousands of divers may look upon your remains every year.
      Closet_Gamer likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      the_boss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi guys, I'm having trouble with this procedure and am hoping someone here will be able to help.

I have a fairly large single floor home and did have to use 2 internet connections to cover the full area, one was BT hub 3 and the other was a Sky SR102.

I upgraded the Sky hub to the new Sky Q with Fibre Unlimited broadband last week and cancelled the BT hub3 because it was useless. I wanted to just get rid of one connection so I wasn't paying two separate bills.

So anyway, the Sky Q hub arrived and I have set it up and I thought I would use wifi extenders to get this job done, after trying two different extenders (cheap ones around £40), I was only getting one bar and 3mbps on the other side (BT side).

I then come across this method of connecting two routers together and thought I would give it a go. I have tried and tried to get the SR102 to connect to the Sky Q but I just cant get it to work. I am using powerline connectors which I have tested directly into my laptop and have a great connection via the ethernet cables.

But the main issue I have with the SR102 is when I change the IP, I cant seem to find the router again, I restart my computer, I check adapter settings in control panel and check ipconfig but it comes up blank. I have tried changing the IP but leaving DCHP but I'm at my wits end. Sometimes I can connect back to the router when its connected to my laptop but the IP is still the same... .01 and not .250?

I have successfully managed the wireless process using the crappy BT homehub 3 using a guide tailored for that actual router but would like to get the SR102 working instead.

Although I am a novice at this I have learnt a lot this last week!

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you have disabled the DHCP server,changed the IP and plugged into one of the ethernet ports there is not much else you can do. Some points to remember is clicking Apply after each change and also disable the IPv6 DHCP server right at the bottom of the page. Also reserve the IP address in the Reservation list on the ER router.

One thing you might want to try is reversing the routers, ie, use the Sr102 as the main internet router and use the ER router as the extension. The SR102 will connect as it has a built in VDSL modem. This will give you the advantage of more ethernet ports at your main router.

To be honest I don't think the SR102 is much better than the BT Hub3, It does not hold a candle to the later BT Hubs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RobDL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Re: How to connect two Routers together

Hi all, thought I'd tag on the end of this thread but please let me know if better as a new one.

Having a strange issue with this set up (which I've had for couple of years now).

I have a 2 Sky SR102 routers set up at home.

1. 192.168.0.1 - Main AP, DHCP enabled, WiFi Channel 10
      2. 192.168.0.254 - Repeater, DHCP disabled, WiFi Channel 4

Both are connected by an Ethernet cable and have the same SSID Name, Password and Security.

Other devices (FireSticks, Chromecasts, Google Home, Moto X Play) can connect to either router wirelessly to the internet.

But my Samsung Galaxy S8 (and my wife's S7) sometimes has a problem when it initially connects to the repeater first. When it happens it connects but I get the exclamation mark (!) next to the WiFi symbol and no connection.

A workaround I've found is to turn off phone WiFi and get closest to the Main AP and turn back on so it connects to that one first. I can't always reproduce the problem

I've tried setting Static IP addresses for the phones, but that still hasn't helped.

Once connected to the Main AP successfully the phone roams between it and the repeater as expected.

Any ideas anyone? I never had any issues with my old Moto X Play phone.

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445

LinkBacks (?)

1. 15-07-14, 12:23 PM
    2. 08-07-14, 08:48 PM
    3. 14-12-13, 04:18 PM
    4. 05-12-13, 06:57 PM
    5. 27-10-13, 10:42 PM
    6. 20-10-13, 07:27 PM
    7. 01-10-13, 05:00 PM
    8. 29-08-13, 04:17 PM
    9. 25-05-13, 09:48 AM
    10. 29-04-13, 11:57 AM