Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Like Tree27Likes

How to connect two Routers together

This is a discussion on How to connect two Routers together within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; found the IP for the DGN1000 it is http://192.168.0.250/ im sure this will the be same if you are using ...

rob897 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BARRHEAD 0141881
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD
      Thanks

Re: How to connect two Routers together

found the IP for the DGN1000 it is http://192.168.0.250/ im sure this will the be same if you are using two netgear routers or routers with the same log in

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

All Sky Routers have a default setting of 192.168.0.1.

The instructions I composed specifically ask you to connect the 2nd router (i.e. the one you are piggybacking onto the Sky router) to your PC/Laptop first, without the Sky Router.

If you have WiFi, it is safer to disable this for the purpose of connecting it to the PC or Laptop.

Once the IP address has been changed and DHCP has been turned off, it is safe to link the 2nd router to the Sky router.

You then reset the PC or Laptop connection & can turn the WiFi on once more.

Following this process, it is irrelevant to the Sky router what the IP address of the 2nd router was.

If you add a 3rd router, then follow the same instructions for adding the 2nd router, but you can provide it with a new IP address, for example 192.168.0.249. The 4th router would become 192.168.0.248.

This point is described in step 10, just not with specific IP addresses as shown above.

This was you can have a greater number of WiFi access point or LAN ports scattered around your home.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Scubbie,

I've finally got around to reading the PDF on the first post. Looks excellent.

One very quick question though:
      "How does this avoid a Double NATting situation?"

Surely only very basic web browsing would work unless the first router is put into bridge mode.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwern View Post
      I've finally got around to reading the PDF on the first post. Looks excellent.

One very quick question though:
      "How does this avoid a Double NATting situation?"

Surely only very basic web browsing would work unless the first router is put into bridge mode.
      The Edimax router i have automatically put itself into a Bridged mode when I set it up using the process in the guide.

Other routers have worked just as well.

Using the settings in the guide, I would expect that because the additional router is not assigning IP addresses and is specifically referring to the primary router (i.e. the Sky router) for the allocation of IP addresses on your LAN, all the LAN devices see the primary router as the Gateway.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Using the settings in the guide, I would expect that because the additional router is not assigning IP addresses and is specifically referring to the primary router (i.e. the Sky router) for the allocation of IP addresses on your LAN, all the LAN devices see the primary router as the Gateway.
      they will see the primary router as the gateway. But I suspect that the wifi router is still adding to the TCP packets to route from "wifi" to "modem router". It may slow things down, and some applications might not work.

But if it serves the purpose for most, then theory shouldn't matter. Especially in most cases it's a temporary solution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwern View Post
      they will see the primary router as the gateway. But I suspect that the wifi router is still adding to the TCP packets to route from "wifi" to "modem router". It may slow things down, and some applications might not work.

But if it serves the purpose for most, then theory shouldn't matter. Especially in most cases it's a temporary solution.
      If you do a treacert, then the router will show in the list. It is therefore reasonable to acknowledge that there will be an addition of 1ms or 2 to the connection of your computer to an Internet server.

As for this being a temporary solution though, this very much depends on the needs of the people who wish to use the document.

The issue over the Sagem 2304n has shown that documents like this are very valuable. The action of disabling the WiFi on the Sagem 2304n and using a 2nd WiFi enabled router to create a WiFi access point is intended as a temporary solution.

There are other reasons for using this document though. These are not so much a temporary solution, but rather a solution to a problem that many people are now facing. I accept that there are other options available and this document is designed to make use of a piece of equipment which would otherwise be gathering dust, but works just fine. They may include the following:

• expand the WiFi coverage in a home, especially where the master socket is in a position which prohibits full coverage because of building materials of design (i.e. think walls, 3rd storey)
      • add a good WiFi access point which is accessible in a Garden (useful if the router is at the front of the house)
      • add multiple LAN ports in a position which requires them and where the Sky router cannot reach or would have it's WiFi signal disrupted

I accept that other items will do the same target tasks, often better. The document is intended to make use of a piece of equipment which many of us no longer use, but which is likely to help save some pennies and resolve the issue. Alternatives include:

• 5-port, 8-Port, 10-Port (or more) Switches
      • WiFi extenders
      • HomePlugs with multiple ports or WiFi abilities

One old router I have is located next to a bank of old PCs. One of them is permanently on and running torrents. A 2nd was recently resurrected and setup for a friend to work in the same manner as my own torrent PC. The other 3 need to be looked at at some stage.

The router has been working flawlessly for some considerable time. It doesn't have WiFi abilities and I have no intention of spending £5 on a replacement Switch at this stage.

A friend of mine has her main router in the corner of her house where the master socket is located. Unfortunately where she sits, the WiFi signal is hidden because of a lovely Chimney. She has the same problem in the main bedroom.

This rendered the WiFi useless for her mobile phone & laptop.

I've used an old BT HomeHub & a pair of HomePlugs to place a WiFi access point in her bedroom. The same WiFi signal covers her lounge and she is able to use the Internet without any issues.

This setup was created last August and has worked flawlessly since.

A 3rd HomePlug is sitting behind her TV and provides a LAN connection for her Sky+ HD STB.

vix2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have 2 identical sagem routers, the one currently in use is located centrally in the house with a hardwire feed to the living room and also bedroom for sky anytime +, it is also hardwired to a buffalo linkstation live and an apple tv. If I was to follow your guide and piggyback the 2 routers to help the very poor signal in the bedroom would I keep all these still connected to the primary router?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vix2000 View Post
      I have 2 identical sagem routers, the one currently in use is located centrally in the house with a hardwire feed to the living room and also bedroom for sky anytime +, it is also hardwired to a buffalo linkstation live and an apple tv. If I was to follow your guide and piggyback the 2 routers to help the very poor signal in the bedroom would I keep all these still connected to the primary router?
      Yes it would.

With all the issues over the Sagem 2304n, I currently have a Netgear DG934G piggybacking off the Sagem 2304n in order to give me a WiFi connection.

Where you place the 2nd router is entirely your choice.

Essentially you will just need to place an Ethernet cable that feeds directly or indirectly to the primary router. You could, for example, place it near to the Apple TV, with the Ethernet cable that currently feeds the Apple TV, plugged into the 2nd Sagem and another cable feeding the Apple TV from the 2nd Sagem.

As a bonus, if you were to set the SSID, password & security encryption to the same on both routers, then you should be able to wander around your home and a Laptop or Mobile should switch seamlessly between either router.

vix2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks, that sounds good. Would I set these in the sagem control panel? I think mine are the older sagem black boxes.

Thanks

The WiFi settings are available by signing into each router in turn, and clicking on the 'Setup' tab.

All the other instructions should be in the guide.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 15-07-14, 01:23 PM
    2. 08-07-14, 09:48 PM
    3. 14-12-13, 05:18 PM
    4. 05-12-13, 07:57 PM
    5. 27-10-13, 11:42 PM
    6. 20-10-13, 08:27 PM
    7. 01-10-13, 06:00 PM
    8. 29-08-13, 05:17 PM
    9. 25-05-13, 10:48 AM