Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Like Tree27Likes

How to connect two Routers together

This is a discussion on How to connect two Routers together within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Please give the document a try and let us know how you get on. Many thanks ...

Woodhill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: How to connect two Routers together

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Please give the document a try and let us know how you get on.
      Many thanks Scubbie. I have some extra ethernet leads on order. I will let you all know how it works out.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodhill View Post
      Many thanks Scubbie. I have some extra ethernet leads on order. I will let you all know how it works out.
      Scubbie,
      No joy so far. I notice your document says "To date all of the Sky Routers use the same address range of 192.168.0.1 – 192.168.0.254"

Typing "ipconfig" brings up a default gateway address of 192.168.1.1

None of my browsers (internet explorer, firefox, google chrome) can access that address.

Any ideas?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Ok, the new Sagem F@ST 2304 came out after the document was posted. If Sky has changed to a different address range, then I will need to review the document.

I am waiting for one to arrive soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Could you try the instructions as they are, but instead of setting the IP Address of the 2nd router to 192.168.0.250, change it to 192.168.1.250.

There are a whole series of reserved IP addresses for home & business networks which are not used by any computers on the Internet. Until recently all the Sky routers only used one range.

As always, please feed back how you get on. It is appreciated.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. The Sagemcom router is the 1st router and I have not touched it at all. I think the IP address of the Sagemcom router is 192.168.0.1.

The second router is the D-Link one that I have tried to change the parameters. The address is 192.168.1.1 but that page does not load on a browser so I can not change the IP address.

I have worked on the second router (D-Link) using a laptop disconnected from the wireless broadcast of the 1st router (wireless switch off). I also tried to access 192.168.0.1 with the second router connected but once again the page does not load.

Have tried switching off the win 7 firewall.

I will keep trying.

Thanks

Alright, so the IP address of 192.168.1.1 is the D-Link.

Could I ask you to confirm that you have not set a permanent IP address on your PC please? This will cause a problem with the guide if the router has a different address to the Sky router. If you are unsure how to check this, post up which O/S you have and I can find the details for you.

Just so as to avoid conflict with the main Sky router, could I ask that you turn the WiFi off on you PC, if you have it and connect the Ethernet cable to the D-Link. The D-Link should not be connected to the 1st router until step 14.

Reboot your PC and ensure that it has an appropriate IP address in the range of the D-Link router by using the 'IPCONFIG' command as described in the guide.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Woodhill (19-04-11)

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodhill View Post
      Will the second router (D-link) also broadcast a wireless signal? If so, will this interfere with the original (Sagemcom) signal?
      It's your choice whether you leave both wireless signals on or not. If you do, then you increase the risk of interference. To reduce this, set the wifi channels well apart - 1, 6 or 13 are the best choices as they don't overlap. If you have any neighbours with wifi it's worth checking out their broadcast channels as well (here I have a neighbour with BT home hub blasting out on ch 6 so my router is set to channel 1).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Alright, so the IP address of 192.168.1.1 is the D-Link.

Could I ask you to confirm that you have not set a permanent IP address on your PC please? This will cause a problem with the guide if the router has a different address to the Sky router. If you are unsure how to check this, post up which O/S you have and I can find the details for you.

Just so as to avoid conflict with the main Sky router, could I ask that you turn the WiFi off on you PC, if you have it and connect the Ethernet cable to the D-Link. The D-Link should not be connected to the 1st router until step 14.

Reboot your PC and ensure that it has an appropriate IP address in the range of the D-Link router by using the 'IPCONFIG' command as described in the guide.
      Thank you so much.

Router number one (Sagemcom) is connected by ethernet to the sky+ HD box, an amp (for internet radio), and a PS3. Laptops, iphones, ipads and ipods connect wirelessly. No PC is connected by ethernet to the Sagemcom router. Will any of these devices have set a permanent IP address?

My laptop runs win 7.

I am so far stuck on step 7. I have not yet connected the D-Link to the Sagemcom. I have only connected the D-Link to the laptop (wireless switched off) by ethernet. The D-Link is straight out of the box and has not yet been used as a router.

Please explain "Reboot your PC and ensure that it has an appropriate IP address in the range of the D-Link router."

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

To be sure you are using the correct address for the Dlink, plug it into your laptop by ethernet cable. Reboot the laptop to be sure it is picking up the router properly. When this is done open a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all and hiit Enter. This should show the address allocated to your PC and below that the address of the router. Check this and use it to enter the configuration pages.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

rob897 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BARRHEAD 0141881
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD
      Thanks

hi many many thanks for this guide, was nearly chucking my new router in the Bin.
      however i do have a question, how do i access the other router Netgear DGN1000 if it has the same log in IP as the sky router DG834GT?

thanks a lot
      rob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob897 View Post
      hi many many thanks for this guide, was nearly chucking my new router in the Bin.
      however i do have a question, how do i access the other router Netgear DGN1000 if it has the same log in IP as the sky router DG834GT?
      No problem.

If you go through the instructions, then you'll see how to change the IP Address on the DGN1000.

Essentially you connect solely to the DGN1000, set it up to act as the 2nd router, then connect it to the Sky Router.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 15-07-14, 12:23 PM
    2. 08-07-14, 08:48 PM
    3. 14-12-13, 04:18 PM
    4. 05-12-13, 06:57 PM
    5. 27-10-13, 10:42 PM
    6. 20-10-13, 07:27 PM
    7. 01-10-13, 05:00 PM
    8. 29-08-13, 04:17 PM
    9. 25-05-13, 09:48 AM