Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Can I run a cordless phone through my Sky router ?

This is a discussion on Can I run a cordless phone through my Sky router ? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; My telephone socket is at the other side of the room from my PC. Currently I use a 10m ethernet ...

return2base is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Can I run a cordless phone through my Sky router ?

My telephone socket is at the other side of the room from my PC. Currently I use a 10m ethernet cable from the PC to the modem and all is fine.

I've just bought a Philips VOIP 321 Skype phone (also works as a regular landline phone) and it requires connecting to the PC via USB. It has a sort of "hub" which also needs connecting to a telephone line. The problem is that the telephone line is on the other side of the room and I need to cable it up.

So the way I see it I have the following options.

1. Leave the PC set up as it is and just run some telephone cable to from the hub to the splitter at the telephone socket, routing it along the wall / floor cornice as per the current ethernet cable.
      2. Move the router from near the phone socket to near the PC. I would have to run an ethernet from the telephone socket to the router and another to the PC. I want to know if I can just plug the cordless phone into the router as it already has a telephone line input.
      3. Leave the router where it is, near the telephone socket and use a splitter on the PC to take in the ethernet from the router and the telephone from the hub. Could this work ? with the telephone going back through the router to the telephone socket ?

Essentially, I want to know if you have to connect telephony direct or whether you can use it through the PC or through the router or both. I don't really want to run another ethernet or telephone cable if I can avoid it as my child keeps pulling up what is there at the moment and another cable will not easily fit around the edge of the carpet.

I probably haven't expressed myself too clearly but I hope you can understand what I want to do. Thanks for any help.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,482 Posts

Re: Can I run a cordless phone through my Sky router ?

I want to know if I can just plug the cordless phone into the router as it already has a telephone line input.
      Do you have a 3rd party router? The Sky routers do not have this facility.

Using a Sky router Number 1 is your only way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider / TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Thanks

You're confusing USB, Ethernet and ADSL/phone connections. Option 1 is the only one that will work with your PC/modem/router combination as described.
      I would have to run an ethernet from the telephone socket to the router and another to the PC. I want to know if I can just plug the cordless phone into the router as it already has a telephone line input.
      The line input to the router is for ADSL (broadband) signals; the connection to a telephone unit is different - that's why you have the filters. They come down the same line, but at different frequencies. It is technically possible to split the signal at the router via a filter but that isn't recommended as you can introduce interference and slow down your internet. (See sections on cabling and faceplates for more info)
      use a splitter on the PC to take in the ethernet from the router and the telephone from the hub. Could this work ?
      No, for the same reasons as above.

return2base is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks for the answers.

You'd think these days you could just get a telephone wired into a computer and that would be it, as we did years ago with internal modems for dial up. We had telephone, fax and internet all inside.

I guess it is the long wired cable then. It just seems so daft to have to run two wires when surely one has far more capacity than will ever be needed !

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,482 Posts

Your only other option is to use the Skype phone with your PC's USB port and use another phone for normal landline use.

There are phones which will connect to the router with WiFi, but they are expensive and I don't really know how good they are. Such as -
      SkypePhone

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider / TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.