Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What did i do?

This is a discussion on What did i do? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; It may help, but if your network card is not showing in the Device Manager and there is no option ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: What did i do?

It may help, but if your network card is not showing in the Device Manager and there is no option to enable it, it could be you have a plug in card and it is faulty. Where is the ethernet port on the back of your router? Is it at the top beside your USB ports or further down in the wider section below your montor outlet if you have a plug in graphics card.
      If the router port is beside the USB ports, before you try installing the OS, try loading the Optimum settings in the BIOS. To do this, go into the BIOS settings again and on the first menu page, scroll to Optimum Settings, highlight it and press enter, then select Yes and enter again. This should enable your ethernet card if it is part of the motherboard.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      8azza8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It may help, but if your network card is not showing in the Device Manager and there is no option to enable it, it could be you have a plug in card and it is faulty. Where is the ethernet port on the back of your router? Is it at the top beside your USB ports or further down in the wider section below your montor outlet if you have a plug in graphics card.
      If the router port is beside the USB ports, before you try installing the OS, try loading the Optimum settings in the BIOS. To do this, go into the BIOS settings again and on the first menu page, scroll to Optimum Settings, highlight it and press enter, then select Yes and enter again. This should enable your ethernet card if it is part of the motherboard.

You mean the ethernet port on the back of the computer? Its near the bottom further down with USB ports beside it. Should i phone Sky, and ask for their help?

Thanks

You are very unlikely to get any help from Sky in a matter like this. They will just refer you to the PC manufacturer or MS.

What is the make and model of your PC? If it is a home build, download and use this to get the motherboard name and model. - |MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20

I am a bit confused as to how your friend managed to get a Thomson modem connected to Sky without first getting the username and password from the Sky router. He must have had a fair bit of knowledge to do this and I assume he has done it due to a lack of a network card. Is he still available to you for advice?

The following photo shows the back of a typical PC. The network port is the squarish one to the right of the USB ports. Is yours in this position or is it in one of the PCI bays below the graphics card?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did i do?-capture2.jpg  

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8azza8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You are very unlikely to get any help from Sky in a matter like this. They will just refer you to the PC manufacturer or MS.

What is the make and model of your PC? If it is a home build, download and use this to get the motherboard name and model. - |MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20

I am a bit confused as to how your friend managed to get a Thomson modem connected to Sky without first getting the username and password from the Sky router. He must have had a fair bit of knowledge to do this and I assume he has done it due to a lack of a network card. Is he still available to you for advice?

The following photo shows the back of a typical PC. The network port is the squarish one to the right of the USB ports. Is yours in this position or is it in one of the PCI bays below the graphics card?

Yup hes still available, he was round my house yesterday, and yes he extracted the username from the Sky Router, and set it up for me. Under Device management i have something called PCI Simple Communications Controller, which has a ? next to it and is listed in "Other Devices" He told me this is my network card, and id have to re-install the drivers again. Is he correct?

And no my network port is further down on my computer.

Thanks

It looks like you have a plug in card. Download Everest and this will tell you what you have. The PCI Simple Communications Controller is likely to be your network card. You will have to find out the make and model from Everest, then go to the manufacturers site and download the drivers.

You could try reinstalling the driver from your OS, XP has a good data base of generic drivers and if your card is a common one it may be covered. Open the Device Manager, double click the item with the ? open the Driver tab and click reinstall or update driver. It may ask for your OS disk. Try this before searching on line for the driver.

TomD

Useful Utilites

crazy skybox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: dont know
      Thanks

Cool Re: What did i do?

i think this might have happend to me ,im not sure this will work but give it a try reset ur router + computer/laptop

hope it works,
      crazy skybox

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123