Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using a Sky Netgear DG834G Router to Connect to Another ISP

This is a discussion on Using a Sky Netgear DG834G Router to Connect to Another ISP within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi guys, I am very confused at the minute and would greatly appreciate any help. I am looking to use ...

skyisgay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using a Sky Netgear DG834G Router to Connect to Another ISP

Hi guys,

I am very confused at the minute and would greatly appreciate any help.

I am looking to use my Sky Netgear DG834G router to connect to my new ISP, plus.net. Is this possible? I have my router username and password that I got through James67's generator.. but I'm not sure what to do with this?

Any help ASAP would be really helpful!

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Using a Sky Netgear DG834G Router to Connect to Another ISP

First you need to flash the firmware back to the Netgear version using the procedure here: Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! Flashing your router firmware to gain access to the settings that Sky have locked down, then you will be able to enter your pulse net username and password into the router to allow it to log on to there network.

YK78 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, i have a similar query. I was with sky but because they couldnt install a dish on my building the account was cancelled. They've never asked for the router back (a netgear ), probably coz its blocked. I'm now with Netplus and have my user name and password. I've managed to get to the router home page by unblocking the router using user name: admin password: sky, but can someone please tell me how to configure this page so i can use the router with Netplus?

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It should be quite easy to use the Sky router with other ISPs but I would first install the latest version of the standard Netgear (i.e. non-Sky) firmware for the DG834GT -- to do this you'll also need the DG834GT utilities -- all are available from netgear.com and full instructions can be found in SkyUser tutorials as mentioned in posts above.

Only difference is the usual reason for using these tips is to extract user name for use in a non-Netgear router.

Once you've restored your Sky unit to standard Netgear specs, see if your ISP has online help on settings for common router brands to work with their service.

I've been through this process to use a DG834GT with Tiscali and it should be straightforward. As a last resort you could ask Netplus Custormer Support for help (maybe it's not as useless as most ISPs).
      Last edited by fihart; 30-04-08 at 04:42 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

my router is a black dg934g, but i guess the same applies?! thank you i'll give it a go!

Placehold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky have been smart where the user details have been locked into the firmware curtosey of Netgear and Sagem

This means that even if you flash the router firmware it will not work correctly, if you flash it back to netgear then there will be information missing and could possibly stop the router working.

If you know what your doing then you can get around this by dummying the router details

Regards

P

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Not correct. And I'm not just talking about the Sky-being-smart bit.

If you flash a Sky DG834GT router with the standard Netgear firmware (using the Netgear Recovery Utility) and reset the router to its factory defaults, you'll have a router whose behaviour is indistinguishable from an off-the-shelf Netgear DG834GT. The only difference will be that the router has Sky written on the case rather than Netgear.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i've tried using the firmware, but its already updated. I can log on to router homepage (192.168.0.1)using username: admin password: sky but the homepage is that with a Sky background and i cant change anything! can some please explain how i can get Sky out of the router and back to its original state. PLease be as detailed as poss im not used to all this jargon!! thanking you very much!!

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

YK78: I think there's a tutorial on extracting the user name from the black Netgear router DG934G.

You won't find any reference to it by that Model Number on the Netgear site. I seem to recall it resembles the DG834G in spec but I doubt if the firmware for that model will install onto the DG934G.

I would read all tutorials and postings on skyuser concerning this new router and see if there's been a successful reflash.

I suspect not -- and probably that was Sky's intention having seen so many Sky DG834GT models end up on e-bay being sold as reflashed for use with any ISP.

Correction -- have a look at this:DG934 - Hacked - running official netgear firmware
      Last edited by fihart; 07-05-08 at 09:22 PM.

Artistxman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      First you need to flash the firmware back to the Netgear version using the procedure here: Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! Flashing your router firmware to gain access to the settings that Sky have locked down, then you will be able to enter your pulse net username and password into the router to allow it to log on to there network.
      Hi

I followed all the steps in the link here and got upto the point of alternate flashing points on sky router. When I clicked on the UpgradeWizard.exe ...I got the box and clicked on next...It selected Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter (10/100) as it was the only option. But, I found some empty boxes in the next section where you have model, current version, upgrade and server name in from of the last two. I still tried to upgrade it by clicking on upgrade button, but nothings seems to happen.

Just some clarifications...should the router be connected to a telephone line when I am upgrading the firmware. Is there anything else, I need to do?

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast